Author Topic: Briar Hill Thick Style  (Read 9343 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Briar Hill Thick Style
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:47:56 PM »
He are a couple of photo's of a Briar Hill Youngstown, Ohio style pizza.

Sweeter sauce, plenty of green peppers, plenty of garlic, some cut up meatballs from Sundays dinner and Grande Romano cheese on the top after it comes out of the oven-

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Briar Hill Thick Style
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Rkos;
I really like the looks of your pizza crust........Is it as good as it looks?  Would you be willing to share your dough formula ???  Thanks...
Buffalo

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:23:54 PM »
Buffalo,

Here it is, and it came out great  :chef:

- this is a 2 hr. dough recipe I use. I prepared one pizza after the two hours and still had three dough balls remaining (I had doubled the recipe when I made it). I put the remaining dough balls into zip lock bags and left them in the frig for two days. Then I froze the dough balls. This is one of the frozen dough balls.

Here is the 2 hr. recipe .

1-1/2 cup warm water (100* to 105* F - if the waters to hot it will kill the yeast immediately)

2 TBSP - sugar
1-1/4 oz Active Dry Yeast Packet (one small grocery store purchased packet)
1-1/2 TSP. - Salt
1 TBSP - Olive Oil
4 Cups of bread flour - I now use Harvest King

(BY HAND) Pour the warm water into a mixing bowl, Add the sugar and packet of yeast. Stir the mixture slowly until yeast and sugar are dissolved. Let sit to allow the mixture to "mature" about 10 minutes or so, The mixture will begin to react: clouding and forming a foamy froth on the surface of the mixture.

Add the salt and olive oil and stir again to combine and dissolve the ingredients. Add one cup of flour and whisk in until dissolved. Add the second cup of floor and whisk it in. Add the third cup of flour and combine. By know the dough mixture should be fairly thick. Add the last cup of floor and with your hands begin to combine and knead the dough.

Remove the dough ball to the tabletop to knead it. You may need to add a dusting of flour from time to time to reduce the stickiness of the dough. Be patient, folding the dough ball in half, then quarters over and over again for about 8 minutes. You'll know you've done well when the dough no longer sticks to your hands. Coat the dough ball with a thin layer of olive oil and place at the bottom of a large mixing bowl which has been coated on the inside with some olive oil and cover with a stretched piece of kitchen film or kitchen towel.

MIXER OR FOOD PROSCESSOR: put all dry ingredients in as listed above and run the machine for about a minute on low speed to mix the ingredients dry. Add the water slowly and mix/knead until a ball is formed (not usually more than a couple of minutes of machine running time).

Set in a warm place, like an unlit oven (ambient temperature of 75* - 80*). Allow the dough to rise undisturbed for an hour or so until the dough ball grows at least twice its original size. Punch down lightly and let sit for another hour of rising.

=========================
The above is for quick dough to be used immediately - if you want to get some more flavor from the dough don't put the doughball into a covered mixing bowl but rather break up the dough mass into a few pieces immediately after the mixing stage(estimate how large of a piece you will need for the size pie you're going to make) and pop the dough into the frig for a least 24 hours, not more than 48 hours before use.

I have been freezing this recipe in the zip lock bags after 24 hours in the frig (just lock the zip lock bag from the refrig and into the freezer with great results).

EZ recipe - give it a try - comes out the same each time.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:26:29 AM »
Rkos;
Thanks for the dough formula.....I hope to try it out this weekend.  Hope my results look & "taste" as good as yours. ;D
Buffalo