Author Topic: Some NY style cheese pies  (Read 3143 times)

Offline addicted

Some NY style cheese pies
« on: November 27, 2006, 11:42:09 PM »
Pics are not so good, but here we go.The one on the left is smoked moz,  almost tastes likes it comes out of a wood burning oven.
Well....okay,then.

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
Re: Some NY style cheese pies
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 07:27:31 PM »
"Cheese Pies"?  Dang boy, You must be from the west coast or somewhere far away from NY, lol! I'm a recent transplant to the Pacific Northwest and I find it difficult to conform to the "I'll have a cheese slice" thing. In Jersey you say "Gimme a slice" and they plop down a regular or plain slice, here in the Portland area things are different.  I ordered a plain slice the other day at "Pizza Schmizza" (nice name, duh) and the confused help there asked me if i was ordering a pepperoni slice. I had to cringe and say "No, I'd like a cheese slice."

I never knew how special the east coast was until I moved away. (the food, driving skills, work ethic, ethnic diversity, quality Italian goods and extra bitchy women).

« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 07:48:29 PM by SteveVit »
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 06:22:21 PM »

I never knew how special the east coast was until I moved away. (the food, driving skills, work ethic, ethnic diversity, quality Italian goods and extra bitchy women).

I share your grief.  I grew up on Long Island, lived up and down the east coast (ME to NC), and moved from NJ to WA in 2001. 

While we love living in the PNW, and it's truly a wnoderful place to live, it ain't the east!!!  Living in suburban Seattle is why I started making my own pies.

Jack

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 09:40:21 PM »
You from Lawn Guy Land, huh? I've spent many, many hours parked in NY's biggest parking lot - the LIE. I drove a truck in the tri state area for years and i still have nightmares of glaring brake lights east bound at the Glen Cove exit.

Living in suburban Seattle is why I started making my own pies.

I hear ya Jack! Many of us from Chicago and New York have become big pizzamaking.com fans, especially ones who have moved far, far away from home. The information on this page is endless posted my some very serious talent - I believe many on this page are skilled enough to go head to head with some of the legendary pizza joints.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »
"Cheese Pies"?  Dang boy, You must be from the west coast or somewhere far away from NY, lol! I'm a recent transplant to the Pacific Northwest and I find it difficult to conform to the "I'll have a cheese slice" thing. In Jersey you say "Gimme a slice" and they plop down a regular or plain slice, here in the Portland area things are different.  I ordered a plain slice the other day at "Pizza Schmizza" (nice name, duh) and the confused help there asked me if i was ordering a pepperoni slice. I had to cringe and say "No, I'd like a cheese slice."

You think you have it bad...try having lived in the heart of New York City and then moving to Edmonton, Canada! :(  The first time I ordered a "cheese pie" over the phone, the girl sounded confused and said, "Ummm...we don't sell pies here."  I finally realized she thought I was ordering a pie, like a cherry pie or blueberry pie.

That's when I realized I needed to learn to make my own NY pizza.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 06:19:30 PM »
The first time I ordered a "cheese pie" over the phone, the girl sounded confused and said, "Ummm...we don't sell pies here." 

Heck, when I brought my Baltimore born bride to my parent's house on Long Island (West Hempstead for the locals), we went out to pick up a pie.  I ordered a large pie and she wanted me to clarify that it was a pizza pie that I wanted and also that it should be a cheese pizza pie.  Funny memories! 

I'll bet a large precentage of forum members were "pushed" into making their own pies due to geographic considerations.  I love to cook, but had never considered making my own pizza, before moving away from the East.

Jack
Covington, WA

Offline Natephish

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 09:22:45 PM »
When I first moved out to California (I've since moved back) from Connecticut, I, without thinking, ordered a "large mootz" when I called Papa John's for the first time.  The woman on the phone was beyond confused.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 10:46:11 PM »
When I first moved to Atlanta I went to a place called "Johhny's NY Style Pizza".

So I order a slice which was $2.25 and they ring it up with tax and it comes into $2.43.  (Tax is always included in NY). "Well that's not NY style" I said to myself...

So I pay and stand there and wait and he lady says, have a seat and I'll bring it to you. "Well that's not NY Style."

So then the lady brings it out on a ceramic plate instead of a paper plate with wax paper. "Well that's not NY Style."

Strike 3 and I hadn't even taken a bite yet.

Then I tasted the pizza. You can guess the rest...

Offline thehorse

• Lifetime Member
  • Less is more
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 11:41:11 PM »
I must be nuts, i live walking distance from Lombardi's, Ben's, Truly original Ray's on Prince St, and Sullivan St bakery and i'm still blasting my oven at 800F!

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 06:21:57 PM »
When I first moved to Atlanta I went to a place called "Johhny's NY Style Pizza".

So I order a slice which was $2.25 and they ring it up with tax and it comes into $2.43.  (Tax is always included in NY). "Well that's not NY style" I said to myself...

So I pay and stand there and wait and he lady says, have a seat and I'll bring it to you. "Well that's not NY Style."

So then the lady brings it out on a ceramic plate instead of a paper plate with wax paper. "Well that's not NY Style."

Strike 3 and I hadn't even taken a bite yet.

Then I tasted the pizza. You can guess the rest...

Yuck.  That sounds about par for the course outside NYC.  Then again, you're lucky you got a slice!  Here, they don't even usually sell individual slices of pizza, except for places in mall food courts.  The major chains (Panago, Pizza Hut Canada, Pizza 73) don't serve slices.  I cannot for the life of me comprehend how this place has managed to get by this long without pizza slices :)

Offline Locke

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 10:53:29 PM »
The pizza itself isn't effected by whether you call it a cheese pie, a pie, a pizza with cheese, za, or even elastic loaf and isn't the pizza what counts? not the name, what kind of plate it comes on, or if they make you stand around while you wait.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 11:06:46 PM »
addicted, They look fantastic.  8)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.