Author Topic: 1 NY PIZZA - crispy, light, and airy. How to?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

1 NY PIZZA - crispy, light, and airy. How to?
« on: January 23, 2007, 02:57:33 PM »
Hey kids - I've developed with your help a fairly decent hand formed thin crust pizza.
I recently ate a pizza at Bleeker St Pizza called Nonna Maria which is similarly topped to
a grandma pizza (plum tom/fresh mozz/roasted garlic/fresh basil/EVOO etc except this
was on a gorgeous thin, crisp, and airy, but not chewy hand tossed round skin. It reminded me
of a pizza I used to get in Brooklyn called Originals - fantastic. Now I am a sucker for Grandma
Pizza so I really liked this, but the dough was really nice. Brings me to this question. How to get
my dough lighter, fluffier, more crisp. Not chewy, doughy, crunchy (bad) crisp = good.

Unfortunately with pizza as subjective as it is. I cannot accurately describe these textures tastes.
Maybe a knowledgeable Manhattan resident would be interesting in truckin down to Bleeker and 6th Ave
to try a slice and post their comments. If anyone else has an idea please post it up.

For some crazy reason I'm thinking their using a lean fairly fry 58-60 percent dough.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: 1 NY PIZZA - crispy, light, and airy. How to?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:11:40 PM »
You can see a picture of a Nonna Maria slice and a summary of the episode of Hungry Detective that covered Bleecker Street Pizza here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4062.msg34320.html#msg34320

- red.november
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 03:17:41 PM by November »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
Unfortunately with pizza as subjective as it is. I cannot accurately describe these textures tastes.
Maybe a knowledgeable Manhattan resident would be interesting in truckin down to Bleeker and 6th Ave
to try a slice and post their comments. If anyone else has an idea please post it up.

lol....that'd be Bleecker and 7th Ave, not 6th.  How do I know this?  Because I lived my whole life, until 7 years ago, at Bleecker Street and 6th Ave :)

Unfortunately, I moved away before Bleecker Street Pizza appeared.  I was back home recently but never made it over there.  I've heard from a neighbourhood friend of mine, who lives a block away on Morton Street, that the pizza there is really good.

Incidentally, for anyone who wants to go visit--if you're interested, John's Pizzeria is a block away down Bleecker...and Joe's (the new one, which used to be just an outlet for the "classic" Joe's) is about three blocks further than that.

--Dave

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:07:18 PM »
LOL oops sorry it had been a long day and COLD. For the record their regular pizza was just ok - the Nonna is really nice. I was taking my inlaws to John's when my father in law says "thats the place I saw on TV" there was no goin back after that - oh well - John's next time. >:(

pizzapan