Author Topic: Questions on Neapolitan Style Dough  (Read 1887 times)

Offline dapizza

• Show me the Pizza!
Questions on Neapolitan Style Dough
« on: January 23, 2007, 04:37:56 PM »
I would like to start off  by saying I have been reading these posts for months, and I would like to thank everyone on here for all of the advice and tips.  I have made 20 to 30 pizzas so far (American style) and have had great success.  (Thanks everyone.)

My next quest is to make a quality Neapolitan Pizza.  But before I start in I have a couple of questions.

1)  Are you suppposed to use flour or corn meal on the underneath side when you cook this pizza?  On my American style I always use corn meal (so the pizza will be easier to manage when it is finished (and it tastes better than flour)).

2)  Should  I use cake flour?  I notice several recipes use cake flour.  I have started using harvest king and was wondering if this is good enough.  (Harvest King seems miraclous, compared to the different flours I used to use.)

Thanks in advance.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Questions on Neapolitan Style Dough
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »
dapizza,

I think that there are two questions that may be more important than the ones you posed:

1) What kind of oven do you plan to use; and

2) How authentic a Neapolitan pizza experience are you after, i.e., a highly authentic or a lesser, Americanized version of a Neapolitan pizza?

No matter how you answer the above questions, I would not recommend using cornmeal.

Peter

Offline dapizza

• Show me the Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 02:03:42 PM »
Peter,
  Thanks  for the reply.  My oven will be a regular gas oven.  It will only cook at 550-575, not the 1000 or so degrees that would probably make it more authentic.  So yes, I would like to make the Poor Boy's (american) version of the Neapolitan.  (If this is possible)  Thanks.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:34:18 PM »
dapizza,

I think you will find that trying to make a Neapolitan-style pizza in a standard unmodified home oven will be orders of magnitude more challenging than making the American style pizzas. The major obstacle is the oven. In particular, the flours that are most commonly used to make Neapolitan-style pizzas—00 flours—are not well adapted for home oven use. 00 doughs do best in very high temperature ovens. As you will see from this thread, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3673.msg30851.html#msg30851, there are a lot of obstacles that have to be overcome when using 00 flours to make a pizza that you will be happy with using your standard home oven. But if you want to proceed anyway, I would recommend using the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour. The above thread provides links to some 00 dough formulations that you might consider. If you decide to proceed, I suggest that you buy a small amount of the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour from pennmac.com, which repackages the 55-lb. bags into small bags. That way, you can try out the flour to see if it works for you.

It is also possible to use other flours to try to emulate the results achieved using 00 flours in a home setting. Much has been written on this subject and doing a forum search will turn up a large number of threads and posts on using blends of common flours as substitutes for the 00 flour. My preference is still for the 00 flours, but if you choose to try the flour blends instead, you should find some useful background information, as well as a few recipes, at these threads/posts:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1278.msg11466/topicseen.html#msg11466 (Reply 1);

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3240.msg27390.html#msg27390; and

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1537.msg14042.html#msg14042 (Reply 2)

Good luck.

Peter

Offline dapizza

• Show me the Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:53:08 PM »
Peter,
  Thanks for the info.  Maybe I will attack a deep dish Chicago Style pizza instead.  I notice those oven settings are well within my range.  Plus, I ate at a Uno's once, and still remember how good the crust was.  Hey, I am just a noob, but I am learning almost everyday.  (And my fiance still loves me!!)
Thanks again.

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 01:40:43 AM »
I think you will find that trying to make a Neapolitan-style pizza in a standard unmodified home oven will be orders of magnitude more challenging than making the American style pizzas.

Very, very true.  If you did try to make Neapolitan in a home oven, the flour would be the least of your concerns.  Finding a way by hook or by crook to get a temp >800F should be the #1 focus of your efforts.

pizzapan