Author Topic: Building a Neopolitan pizza oven... questions for Marco..  (Read 2841 times)

Offline johnrbek

• I Love Pizza!
Building a Neopolitan pizza oven... questions for Marco..
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:24:03 PM »
Preface:  building a back yard neopolitan style oven... not for a restaurant or production volumes...

Was hoping to solicit some advice from pizzanapoletana on a few points:

1. The transition between the soldiers and the dome chains... please see my illustration attached (please save to your computer and view from your machine for a clear detailed view)... In a few other designs, I've seen bricks that sit atop the soldiers that are cut to the dome angle.. Is this how the transition from the soldiers to the dome chains is typically made in neopolitan style ovens?

2. Also, with the flatter neopolitan dome angle, it would seem that there would be more lateral forces applied to the soldiers than one would expect in the Tuscan design where their is a steeper angle with more vertical pressure...   Is there any special reinforcing required of the soldiers to ensure they hold the dome in place?

3. With oven openings in the 9" (22 cm) range, it would seem like it may present a challenge to get something like a turkey or other large meat into the oven... is this something you've encountered with this type of oven or do you just refrain from cooking larger items like this in a neopolitan style oven?  My primary purpose for the oven is pizza.. everything else is secondary.. but I do just want to be clear about any limitations in the design if any.. thoughts?

I did post a much more detailed version on the Forno Bravo forum this morning with more attachments and analysis of the design, but I cannot post it here since I am a new member.. ?..

Thanks for your input!

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: Building a Neopolitan pizza oven... questions for Marco..
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:37:01 PM »
Hi John,

All I could share about ovens are in previous post, but I know that there are very good reasons for things being the way they are in Neapolitan ovens.

The door 22 x44 is big enough for most food I have seen... you could even slide in a suckling pig by that door....

Ciao

Offline johnrbek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:45:21 PM »
Thank you for your reply...   I've searched all of your posts and unless I'm mistaken I don't think I've seen answers to questions 1 & 2 anywhere... # 3 is just subjective, so forget about that, but the first two relate to contstruction and any input to you can provide to clarify would be greatly appreciated..   If none, that's okay too, you just seem like the best person to ask that I know of... 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 04:21:17 PM by johnrbek »

Offline Harv

• Did someone say pizza?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 05:38:39 AM »
Johnbrek,

Only a handful of families in Naples are qualified to build an authentic Neopolitan oven.  And, you can only use special materials from that region.  This is what you will find in researching some of the posts.  However, to my knowledge, (and if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected)  Marco has never built an oven.  You mentioned the other forum, its full of oven builders of the DIY variety.  Your time is better spent there for building details.  Then, here is the spot to perfect your recipes.  I built a barrel vault oven and I can make fantastic pizzas that cook in less than 2 minutes.  Learning the characteristics of your particular oven will be more important than the exact details of size/shape.

pizzapan