Author Topic: Deep dish -- No cornmeal?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline carolinagal

• I Love Pizza!
Deep dish -- No cornmeal?
« on: January 25, 2007, 04:33:27 PM »
I want to make a Deep Dish Pizza tonight, but all the recipes I'm finding call for cornmeal.  I don't have any cornmeal in the house :-\

I do have some Martha White Buttermilk Cornmeal Mix, but I have a feeling that would not work?

Can I still have my deep dish pizza - or is the cornmeal a must for this type of dough

Offline chiguy

Re: Deep dish -- No cornmeal?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 04:45:53 PM »
 Hi carolinagail,
 No cornmeal is not necessary for deep dish and i am not aware of any deep dish places in Chicago using it. There are many recipes here that omit corn meal. do you have a scale?   chiguy
 Ingrediants needed, All purpose Flour, Yeast, Corn Oil, Salt(i feel a must),Mozzarella Cheese, Tomatoes Crushed in Puree or Whole peeled can also work. Parmesan Cheese sprinkled before or after baking.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 04:49:59 PM by chiguy »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 04:48:04 PM »
Try this recipe.  Use crisco or vegtable oil if you have no corn oil.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2403.0.html

Offline Chicago Rules!!!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:40:17 PM »
Hi carolinagail,
 No cornmeal is not necessary for deep dish and i am not aware of any deep dish places in Chicago using it. There are many recipes here that omit corn meal. do you have a scale?   chiguy
 Ingrediants needed, All purpose Flour, Yeast, Corn Oil, Salt(i feel a must),Mozzarella Cheese, Tomatoes Crushed in Puree or Whole peeled can also work. Parmesan Cheese sprinkled before or after baking.

When i was in Chicago last, i had a stuffed pizza a Suparossa's and the crust did have cornmeal in it. You should order one up chiguy and see if there is.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 09:48:42 PM »
 Hi ChicagoRules,
 I have actually had Superossa and from what i remember it was really good, i cannot remember texture because it was quite a few years ago.
 I should have not been so adament about deep dish not containing corn meal as you are correct and some smaller chains/places may use it.
 The places i frequented Giordanos, Lou Malnatis, Ginos East, Edwardos,Pizzeria Uno, to my knowledge do not use corn meal.
 The corn meal by any means won't hurt the crust and can give a nice taste and texture if it's your preference.

Are you still pumping out those nice looking deep dish pies for the folks? Chiguy

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »
I also live in the Chicago area and for the life of me, there is no cornmeal in the deep dish pizzas that I hav eaten, but I do know some of the owners...I'll ask the question and put this to rest.