Author Topic: sausage  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Rard

sausage
« on: January 25, 2007, 05:34:44 PM »
I love pizza of all shapes and sizes.  But was born and raised in New York.
I think that your standard suasage with all that fennel in it is awesome for grilling and at street fairs, etc...(you know, sausage and peppers and such)
but on a pizza...
The best sausage on a pizza is not fennel based, not pre-cooked and sliced or crumbled.
It is a fresh italian sausage that is 'chunked' on the pizza and cooked on the pie.
I make all sorts of fresh sausage and am not at all intimidated by it, but can't seem to get this quite right.
Does anyone have any recipes for fresh sweet Italian Sausage, not 'fennelized'?

Offline Bryan S

Re: sausage
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »
Just make your regular Italian sausage recipe and leave out the fennel. All 3 of my Italian sausage recipes have fennel in them, that's what makes it Italian.  ;) Or if it's the flavor of them being left out, just grind them up and add the fennel as a powder. I have a old electric coffee mill that i use for such occasions.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 06:29:46 PM by Bryan S »
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Rard

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 08:12:56 AM »
Thanks, Bryan
I can give it a shot.
I have tried a similar approach in the past and was underwhelmed.
But I know there are a lot of recipes for italian sausage, and not all call for fennel.

Offline zapzi

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 04:24:15 PM »
Here is a recipe I use for hot italian sausage, but for your benefit I am taking away the fennel and the heat.  Feel free to half it if necessary.

-5 lbs pork butt coursely ground the fattiest you can find.  (I use my Kitchen Aid food grinder attachment to do this)  (If too lean, you may have to add pork fatback found in some chains and specialty stores).  Also if you can't grind it at home, pick out a "butt" in the case and ask the butcher to do it for you (course grind).  I have never had a problem with this even in major grocery stores.  The texture is much better and you know exactly what went into your "ground meat".  Plus often times much cheaper. I just purchased 8 lbs of pork butt for .99 cents a pound.

-1 cup cold wine (red or white) or water.  The wine definitely adds alot without announcing itself.  If I was making sweet sausage I would use a non- oak Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio.  Pinot Noir if making it spicy.

-5 tsp salt

-1 tblsp garlic powder or 4-5 cloves minced (I like the good powder, better distribution and less little chunks)

- 1 tblsp freshly ground pepper

- 5 tblsp paprika  (there are many kinds, you may want to use the sweet for your sausage, if you do you may want to monitor the amounts posted)

- 1 tblsp dried oregano (optional)

For sweet Italian minus fennel and heat, I would then put all spices in the wine and stir until well blended.  Then pour over the sausage mix well and let stand 24 hours in fridge until all flavors come together.

For those who would like fennel and/or heat add the following to the wine before mixing with meat.

-2-3 tsp cayenne pepper
-2 tsp crushed chile peppers
-5 tblsp fennel seeds (I like to crush them) 

Having enough fat is the key to any homemade sausage recipe.  I may ask my butcher for some if I don't see any in the case and if the "butt" looks too lean next time.  I loved the flavors of my last batch but darn it if it was just a tad too "lite".

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 07:01:17 PM »
"In September 2005, Japanese food company Nissui introduced a new product, meant to appeal especially to children: strawberry milk-flavored fish sausage." - Lydia Fong, seedmagazine.com

- red.november