Author Topic: Flour and protein ???  (Read 2160 times)

Offline bangtango

Flour and protein ???
« on: November 18, 2007, 07:03:28 PM »
I found King Arthur flour dough at my grocery store, many different types of this brand. I read somewhere on the site for the thin cracker crust to use a bread flour with a high protein %. I looked today on the labels and could only find the protein in grams ( g ) . Did I miss something on the label ? or should I just use the flour with the highest grams ? ( g ) any info would help as I am new to this.
Thankyou.

Offline asheborobluecomets

Re: Flour and protein ???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 08:28:38 PM »
I'm new at this also ... but this is how I understand it. On my bag of Harvest King Bread Flour it reads Serving Size 1/4 cup (30g).  Then lower it reads Protein 4g.  I divide the 4 grams of protein by the 30 grams of serving size & that equals 13.3333% .   I hope this correct ... if not this forum is fantastic & I will be corrected!  Good luck!!!!
 :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 09:54:32 PM »
I'm new at this also ... but this is how I understand it. On my bag of Harvest King Bread Flour it reads Serving Size 1/4 cup (30g).  Then lower it reads Protein 4g.  I divide the 4 grams of protein by the 30 grams of serving size & that equals 13.3333% .   I hope this correct ...

General Mills gives the protein content of its Harvest King flour as 11.3-12.3%. However, its spec sheet for the HK flour is 12% +/- .3%. You can't put too much reliance on the numbers you see on the labels for flours because the government allows sellers of flour to round off numbers. So, the real number can be higher or lower. BTW, I have been using the HK flour for the cracker-style pizzas recently and like it for that style. The cracker-style dough recipes on the forum range from using all-purpose flour (a good examole of which is the DKM recipe), to bread flour, to high-gluten flour. I personally think the differences are less important for the cracker style because the crusts are so thin and you get more sauce, cheese and toppings in just about every bite than crust.

Peter

Offline asheborobluecomets

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 04:26:28 PM »
Thanks Peter!  I learn something new everyday!
 :chef:

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 06:11:55 PM »
You can check the King Arthur website

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/85e624febf29e4c7836066cc68c71648/miscdocs/BFS%20Specs%20-%20Customer%20Copy.pdf

KA BF is 12.7% +/- .2%

Bread flour in the baking world is "Special" flour.
Patrick

Offline bangtango

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »
thanks ya'll, I appreciate the info.