Author Topic: Recommendations for home wood fired oven??  (Read 12604 times)

Offline tgm

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Recommendations for home wood fired oven??
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »
We built an outdoor unit on our patio about 3 yrs ago using an oven from Fogazzo and we couldn't be happier. The guys at Fogazzo, especially Sergio, were great in getting it to us on time to be used for our family reunion, as we are on the East Coast, in PA. Everything was included as they state in their literature and we had the oven up and running in 3 weeks. We use it year round for everything from pizza to prime rib. It has held up well even in the temperature extremes of the Great Lakes winters.
Their pricing is good, their product is great and their service is excellent. What more do you need??
Good Luck,

Tom in PA

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 01:49:45 PM »
Bill ,
I followed the earthstone instructions to the tee. Are you speaking of the lean cement that goes under the bakers tiles? I was told by someone i should have put some type of stone underneath as well, or what about that insulation board ? I have the expansion area and I also put a metal flashing (not on spec.) so the 4" slab could move expand /contract as needed. after 2 hours at 800 (on thermometer ) the inside stoarge area is warm helps to seaon all the wood I have in there , but not hot,  I am  Still concerned for winter damage and thet fact to get to repair replace a piece of dome would be a real challenge, almost impossible. I am looking at 2 deck table top bakers pride to hone my pizza making skills in the garage through the cold NJ winter.
Thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 02:00:01 PM »
John,

It has been 8 years since I built the oven, but IIRC, the bottom consists of a metal plate (I used double the thickness called for). On top of the plate is a layer of fiberglass insulation and then a layer of cement on which the refractory bricks are set. This isolates the refractory bricks from the expansion/contraction of the metal plate. Don't recall if there is anything else sandwiched in the deck.

You should talk to JPY about your concerns for winter damage, but neither rain nor hail nor sleet nor snow nor wind nor heat of day nor dark of night shall keep me from baking a pizza when the mood strikes. Baker's Pride in the garage?  ??? ??? ???

Bill/SFNM

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 02:20:27 PM »
Bill,
after speaking with JPY and desribing my set up he said I did not need to use the metal plate because  I had the middle support built in and just to  use cement board supported beneath of course then pour slab. , lean cement, bakers tiles. No mention of a layer of insulation although  I did see that on other sites. Yes BP iin garage I have a heated garage / shop and i dont want rain snoew sleet aor hail to stop me either ;D
John

I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jraducha

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 06:22:45 AM »
Forno Bravo for the win!  I just got one of their ovens and love it!