Author Topic: About the crispy pizza crust  (Read 1429 times)

Offline corndodger

About the crispy pizza crust
« on: January 28, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »
Hi!

I'm new to the site, and found it while looking for a way to make a crispy pizza crust - and so I've made my first batch of crust carefully measuring and following the directions given elsewhere on this site.

As it came out, the crust is as dry as pie dough, and crumbly. The recipe called for a pound of flour and 3/4 cup of warm water. I added a quarter cup, but it still seems crumbly!

The dough is in the 'fridge waiting its 24 hour chill, but is this normal? I bake bread a lot and NEVER made a batch of dough this dry. Will it fix itself while chilling?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

corndodger

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: About the crispy pizza crust
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:47:46 PM »
Well you kind of got off on the wrong foot on this one.  One, it is a dry and crumbly mixture and two you leave out on the counter for 24 hours not in the cooler.  When left out this crumbly stuff that you have to squeeze in a very dry ball would have been a rollable dough by the next day.  Adding the extra 1/4 cup of water didn't help so your own your own since you did not follow the instructions.

To save what you have take it out of the cooler 3 hours in advance.  It will be kind of a hard thin pizza but for your first try it will be okay.

Offline corndodger

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 04:11:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Randy. Had the instructions described anything like what I'd gotten, I wouldn't have added any water. However, not all the flour would absorb into the "ball" which was more like three or four chunks. Seems MIGHTY dry do me. We'll see how it comes out tomorrow.

I may be ignorant, but I can be trained.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 04:27:22 PM »
Go here for some good pictures of this recipe.  Once you get the hang of this one, you want have any problems.
Best of luck

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,779.0.html