Author Topic: "Indianapolis style"--such a thing?  (Read 3541 times)

Offline doctor_pepperoni

• pi*r*squared....pies-r-round
"Indianapolis style"--such a thing?
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:38:38 PM »
Hello All,

One of the ideas I had for the upcoming Super Bowl (a.k.a. "The Big Game") was to make Chicago style deep dish and also a pizza style popular in Indianapolis.  The deep dish recipe offered up by DKM is impressive, and over the past couple of weeks I've been able to dial it in and get some nice pizzas from it.

Now here's the question:  Is there a style of pizza that could be thought of as "Indianapolis style?"  I'm not looking for recipes per se, but just some ideas that I can experiment with.

Thanks in advance, Ed.

Offline doctor_pepperoni

Re: "Indianapolis style"--such a thing?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 06:57:15 PM »
I guess (based on the lack of response) this was a truly stupid question.  ???

I'll make pork tenderloin sandwiches to represent Indianapolis.

Regards, Ed

Offline jonfoxx

• Alfred's Tomato Pie Rules!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 05:06:50 PM »
Doc,

I wouldn't say it's a stupid question...  I would just guess that Indy is not known for any kind of specialty pizza's or there is just a lack of people who have experienced any if they exist.  I'd take the pork over a pizza any day, so enjoy!

Go COLT'S!!!

JP

Offline doctor_pepperoni

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:38:19 PM »
jonfoxx,

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to hear from some Indy locals with their idea of a "signature" Indianapolis pizza, but if there isn't one that's OK by me.  I grew up in the area between Philadelphia and Baltimore, and if it were the Eagles and the Ravens playing tomorrow, I'd be serving cheesesteaks, hoagies and crab cakes.

I'm looking forward to trying my hand at pork tenderloin.  It'll be fun.

Best regards, Ed.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 09:36:26 AM »
Ed,

I figured that if there was an Indianapolis-style pizza it would have made it on the wikipedia list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza#U.S._styles_and_specialties. The article is actually a fun read for pizza lovers.

Peter

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 02:18:50 PM »
I lived in Indiana for 6 years, there is no good pizza in that State. For being as close to Chicago, they just don't get it.

Offline doctor_pepperoni

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 11:30:54 AM »
Peter,

Thank you for the link.

An excellent read, and a perfect way to back up my argument the next time my wife says: "What--pizza again?" I can counter with "but sweetie, we haven't even got to Ohio yet!" :-D

Also, no disrespect intended to the Philly members on ignoring tomato pie.  Growing up we would get a slice or two every time we visited the bakery, and I always figured it to be ubiquitous.

Ed.

PS: Made the fried pork tenderloin, and it came out very tasty.  I'll try to post more in "Off-Topic Foods."

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »
interesting link, thanks Peter!

to those in or near Wisconsin though, what the heck is "Pizza Fries"?  I live here and have never heard of it!!

Offline retemple

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 10:48:30 AM »
Having grown up in Chicago (Guys Pizza on North Ave is my gold standard for stuffed) and lived in the Indy area for the past 17 years, I can vouch that "Indy-style" pizza doesn't exist.  However I submit a couple ideas that someone could try:

1.  A pizza with Indiana ingredients.  Maybe topped with bits of fried pork or corn, just suggestions.
2.  In Indiana, we fry everything.  Why not breading a standard pizza and just deep frying it.  

In all seriousness, there is a local place that stands out.  Bazbeaux has three locations and offers thin style with unique ingedient combos.  If I can't have stuffed Chicago style (or Chicago deep dish), this is what I'd choose.  They have a menu online (but I cannot post a hyperlink since I'm a new member).

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 10:53:58 AM »

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
Cajun Pizza :)
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 10:21:28 PM »
 Pete,

"Tchoupitoulas Pizza"  :-*