Author Topic: Calculating Starter Hydration  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Finnegans Wake

• De gustibus non est disputandum.
Calculating Starter Hydration
« on: January 30, 2007, 03:06:26 PM »
A couple of questions on calculating the hydration of your starter...

1. Can it be done by weight and volumetric measurements if one weighs and measures their water and flour?

2. Wouldn't the relative activity of the yeast produce varying amounts of alcohol that makes any 55/45 sort of formulation inaccurate?  If my yeast kick out a bunch of hooch, might not the formulation by weight be 50/40/10 or some such?  And if that is so, can #1 be carried out?

Thoughts?
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. --
Mark Twain

Offline Kinsman

• Pizza & ribs......
Re: Calculating Starter Hydration
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 06:09:21 PM »
Yup,it might.

I say, get to know your dough and how it should feel.  You won't need to use complicated formulas to ensure a perfect crust every time.

Unless, of course, you simply enjoy doing the calculations.
Chris Rausch

Long Riders BBQ
Florence, Montana

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 01:12:51 AM »
So I'm picturing a westbound pioneer trail wagon lumbering along a dirty, bumpy cow path somewhere in the Plains, in the mid-1800's.  The sourdough jug is swinging back and forth on a nail affixed to the back of the wagon.  Ol' Chester seems perplexed. He scratches his head and mumbles to himself.  This goes on for miles.  Maw is quite concerned.  "What in the world is fryin' yore hade, Paw?"  "Is it Injuns?", she asks.  "Nope", he says. "Is it the two busted wagon wheels or the very fact that the kids are sickly and runnin' a high fever?"  Naw", he says.  "Then why are you all pestered then, Paw?"  After a long pause, Chester says, "Maw, Last night I was afreshen the sourdough jug and after separating the weevils from the flour barrel and straining the road dirt out of the water bucket, I'm not one hunnert percent shore that I got the maysurements axactly!"
About a mile down the road, Maw clubs Ol' Chester on the head with broad ax, shoves him off the wagon and continues on to Oregon.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:44:13 AM by PizzaPolice »

Offline Kinsman

• Pizza & ribs......
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 02:45:52 PM »
"Is it Injuns?", she asks.  "Nope", he says. "Is it the two busted wagon wheels or the very fact that the kids are sickly and runnin' a high fever?"

That post made me laugh out loud.
A fine piece o' writin'.

And an excellent point.
Chris Rausch

Long Riders BBQ
Florence, Montana

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 03:12:46 PM »
Thanks Kinsman!

I just checked out you website and can understand why you laughed!  Sounds like a great life you have.  Nice smoke ring.

As far as my preferment, it just chugs along on the kitchen counter no matter how good or bad I treat it.

PizzaPolice

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 03:54:23 PM »
So I'm picturing a westbound pioneer trail wagon lumbering along a dirty, bumpy cow path somewhere in the Plains, in the mid-1800's.  The sourdough jug is swinging back and forth on a nail affixed to the back of the wagon.  Ol' Chester seems perplexed. He scratches his head and mumbles to himself.  This goes on for miles.  Maw is quite concerned.  "What in the world is fryin' yore hade, Paw?"  "Is it Injuns?", she asks.  "Nope", he says. "Is it the two busted wagon wheels or the very fact that the kids are sickly and runnin' a high fever?"  Naw", he says.  "Then why are you all pestered then, Paw?"  After a long pause, Chester says, "Maw, Last night I was afreshen the sourdough jug and after separating the weevils from the flour barrel and straining the road dirt out of the water bucket, I'm not one hunnert percent shore that I got the maysurements axactly!"
About a mile down the road, Maw clubs Ol' Chester on the head with broad ax, shoves him off the wagon and continues on to Oregon.

Quoted for satiric and literary excellence ! :-D :-D :-D :-D
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 04:00:21 PM »
Thanks Fio!  I am humbled by your praise.

pizzapan