Author Topic: Folding while rolling?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Musky

Folding while rolling?
« on: January 30, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »
I have two balls of dough rising on the counter for tomorrow night.  I'm optimistic as they seem to have mixed better than my first attempt last week, when the the moisture wasn't fully incorporated and I found some wet spots when I rolled it out.

I noticed some comments in another thread about folding the dough while rolling it to a get a more layered final product.  Am I understanding that correctly? Is it folded in half or quartered?  How many times is this done?  Does it need to be done?

Hope the questions make sense.

Kevin

Offline Bryan S

Re: Folding while rolling?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:18:18 PM »
Reply #84 Vitus asks the same question at the bottom of his post. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,779.msg33384.html#msg33384 Replys follow.  :D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Musky

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 09:34:38 PM »
You know, I think I read that thread at least five times, but do not remember the folding it twice answer from DKM.  I'm getting old and daft.  I found a much older thread that said to fold in half twice or essentially quarter the dough when folding.  I'm going to try it with the first ball tomorrow night. 

I've got a good feeling about these two.

Kevin

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:47:29 PM »
My technique is to roll out using an Atlas pasta roller on setting 1 then 2 then 4. Then I do a business letter fold. Repeat. And repeat.  Then I stretch into a round shape. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes. Bake on a pizza stone. I always have layers and large voids (bubbles). It is just what I want. Because my dough is hydrated at 50 it is a little dry. The result is a cracker crust.  Hope this helps.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:03:10 AM »
At least as far as the cracker crust has gone for the last couple of years, the folding is a new addition, one that I haven't tried.  If you look at Steve's pictures in the following thread you will see does not fold the dough either.  You might try folding the first then do a single roll on the second.  Could be interesting.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,779.0.html

pizzapan