Author Topic: Starter Sanitation  (Read 1715 times)

Offline art_vandelay

• Pizza and a Beer...
Starter Sanitation
« on: January 30, 2007, 09:58:43 PM »
I'm new, so I have been trying to read as much as I can, with out reading everything.

In reading many of the post, I see allot is mentioned about sanitation. Many of the pics I see are in open jars, or lids slightly hanging off. I understand why you can not close a lid on the jars.

Has anyone ever tried growing the yeast in a 2000 ml glass beaker, with a blow off tube? I use a product called star san that sanitizes all my beer equipment. When I grow my yeast for beer, I take the initial yeast culture, some wort(pre-beer) and keep stepping up to the amount I need. I use a stir plate made from a computer fan, with high powered magnets, and a stir a stir bar in the beaker. The stir plate keeps the the yeast moving and oxygenate, which promotes faster growth.

Can anyone see any downfalls to doing something similar to this with the yeast culture I bought from sourdo.com today? It seems a closed beaker, and sanitizing would cause no contamination.

Just curious.

Jim

Offline Bryan S

Re: Starter Sanitation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 10:44:17 PM »
Just as in making a starter for beer, wine or mead we use a stir plate to get the O2 in there. If you put a stopper with a airlock or use the blow off tube, then there's no O2 getting in to the yeast. I looked at my Pryrex flasks and stir plate the same as you, but went the proofing box route and followed the directions from sourdough.com  :)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Kinsman

• Pizza & ribs......
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »
Once your culture gets going, sanitation is not that big a concern.  Certainly not like it is with beer yeasts.
My cultures live in a quart mason jar on the counter with the lid on loosely.  They are happy little critters.

Knowing how they like oxygen at the beginning phase, I feed, tighten the lid and shake the jar hard.  This gets 'em all the O2 they need. Then I use a clean finger (if I can find one) to 'squeegee' off the sides so I can easily see the kraeusen rise and fall. Once in a while, if the threads on the jar start lookin' really krusty, I will pour things off into a clean jar.
Chris Rausch

Long Riders BBQ
Florence, Montana

Offline Ebony

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 08:08:05 PM »
Nice to see Art Vandelay is here.  I am addicted to Seinfeld myself.    Is it necessary to these very complex sytems to keep starter in.  I have a starter in my fridge that seems to be okay.  These also look very time consuming.  I know I need to read up more that trying to find things hit & miss in here.  I have to say this site is great.  I'm looking for a good book any suggestions on which one to buy?

pizzapan