Author Topic: Primanti brothers pizza, does anyone have the recipe?  (Read 5529 times)

Offline pizzaisgood

• I Love Pizza!
Primanti brothers pizza, does anyone have the recipe?
« on: February 03, 2007, 10:27:36 AM »
I have been working in Pittsburgh every couple months and ate at Primanti Brothers Pizza and it is really good. Does anyone have their dough recipe?

Offline mcdeadstein

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Primanti brothers pizza, does anyone have the recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:45:26 AM »
I live in da burgh.  I've never had their pizza, only their sandwiches....gonna have to try it.   I do know a guy who works at a Primanti's but not all of them make pizza.  I'll ask him if he knows anything.
Next time you are in Pittsburgh try,  Il Pizzaiola (sp?),  or Vincent's Pizza Park...totally unique. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
cool, you just named my two favorite pizzerias in the burg, but it's Il Pizzaiolo

Offline DaveKass

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 04:23:31 PM »
Aiellos is the best pizza in Pittsburgh.  The sauce is incredible.  Vincents is really good but sooo heavy.  Unique is a good way to put it.  Il Pizzaiolo is very good, but not as good as other authentic pie I've had in NYC.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 04:59:02 PM »
What is more authentic than Il Pizzaiolo?

Offline SUZANNAHA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:12:07 AM »
:pizza:
FIRST 1.  SPEAKING OF THE 'BURGH',  I GREW UP THERE, & MY FAVORITE PIZZA IS "VINCENT'S PIZZA PARK". 
I WOULD L-O-V-E THE RECIPE FOR THE WHOLE SHA-BANG; THE DOUGH, SAUCE, GREASE, TOPPINGS ETC...
I KNOW HE USED TO BUY HIS PEPPERONI AT FOLINO'S MARKET ON RT. # 30 IN NORTH VERSAILLES.  IT WAS DIFFERENT......THE  LINKS WERE SMALL IN DIAMETER.  VINCENT CUT IT IN REALLY THIN PIECES. TASTY, & VERY SPICY (VERY GREASY).  I AM SURE THAT IS PART OF THE SECRET.

SECOND 2.  MY OTHER VERY FAVORITE WAS "IRENE'S PIZZA" IN EAST MCKEESPORT.  THE THICKER, SICILIAN STYLE WAS SIMPLE, LIGHT & OOOH, SO-O-O GOOD.  WHEN I WAS ABOUT 7, MY FRIEND & I USED TO FOLD PIZZA BOXES THERE FOR FREE PIZZA INSTEAD OF $CASH$.
  I KNOW SAM, ALBERT & MAMMA IRENE MASTROIANNI USED A COMBINATION OF MOZZARELLA & PROVOLONE FRESH CHEESE, & THE SAUCE I BELIEVE WAS JUST CRUSHED OR TOMATO PUREE.  I WOULD ABSOLUTELY GIVE ANYTHING FOR THE WHOLE RECIPE: DOUGH,ETC...

???  ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW???

KIND REGARDS,      H-E-L-P!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SUZANNAHA    :'(

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 11:14:41 AM »
why all cap. letters? ;)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline SUZANNAHA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »
Are we just supposed to use regular letters?  I apologize if that is the code.  I didn't know.  I am a new user.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 11:50:51 AM »
Suzannaha,

Using all caps is viewed by some to be the equivalent to shouting. I rarely complain about this because I once saw members of one forum (not this one) criticize another member for doing so, only to learn that the member had serious vision problems.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 11:51:05 PM »
suzannaha,  I actually know what sauce/cheese/flour/pepperoni vincents is using, and am also pretty sure about the dough recipe and fermentation techniques as well. I would rather talk on the phone about all the details if you want to PM me your phone number.

Other than Il Pizzaiolo (which is making pies exactly like they do in Naples Italy), Vincents is my favorite pizza in the burgh.  Totally unique.  Pizza made by a madman!  It took me years of investigation to find out all the details, but I would be happy to share the info as long as it is kept private.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 08:28:15 AM »
Are we just supposed to use regular letters?  I apologize if that is the code.  I didn't know.  I am a new user.

:)

Keep on posting! :pizza:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline ratana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 10:41:54 AM »
Being a NY transplant in Pittsburgh, Il Pizzaiolo is nice, not bad, but my impressions were that Una Pizza Napoletana in NYC makes a better pie, and compared to my experience with Da Michele in Naples, which is just the real deal, Il Pizzaiolo doesn't come close.  Something just doesn't translate out here in Pittsburgh.  I was also not incredibly impressed with Roberto's/Regina Margherita (moved to NJ and opening a new restaurant there) - interestingly enough he is one of the "VPN" US places.  Aiello's is okay, but more of a pizza food than pizza .. no elegance or finesse .. same w/ Mineo's.  I've gotten so desperate in the 'burgh (been to probably 25-30 places over the past 10 years) that I've had to just learn to make pizza myself at home, which is why I'm on the forums here now :)  I'll have to try Primanti Bros pizza just to see how it is.  I've learned that each pizza has its own place and that being a snob gets you nowhere, but they can be appreciated in context, maybe as some kind of anthropological study... :)

On that note, anyone ever try "Di Salla's"  in Munhall?  After being told by two people on the same day that this is the best ("the pizza of our childhood!"), we checked it out - school cafeteria, square, undercooked dough w/ cheap cheese with an intense garlic sauce that gave the worst indigestion of my adult life... wow.  Some of these places, you can say, "only in Pittsburgh."  Wouldn't last a day in any other city.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 01:29:39 AM »
Do me a favor and head back over to Il Pizzaiolo in a few weeks.   The pizzeria just got a real neapolitan oven and mixer that should send it right to the top of your list.  They were definitely at a disadvantage with the Hobart and old high domed oven.  The new oven is in, but it takes two weeks to cure.  I'll be heading over there the first of april when it is ready and will definitely report back. 

Offline ratana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 03:53:53 PM »
Nice, scott, I shall definitely plan on a repeat visit in the future.  What are your ties to the 'burgh?  It seems you know a lot about all of the pizza places here (for better or worse:)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 08:42:13 PM »
I grew up in Ingomar PA in the north hills.  I still get back there to visit my mom and brother.  I think as far as a city goes pgh is in the top three best pizza destinations.  Killer thin and crispy, killer Sicilian, killer neapolitan.  The only thing I haven't found there is a top notch NY style, but the Pittsburgh style pizza (Mineos etc.) is close enough to that style to keep me happy.

Offline ratana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
Ahh, cool... Being from NY I share a slightly different view, but I am always open to new places and continue to explore..  If you are after a NY style thin and crispy (before I open my shop that is.. haha, a joke), try Vesuvio on the south side, if you have not.  It's a relative newcomer, and may even be owned by the  owner of Aiello's.  If the right guys are making the pies it is pretty close to NY style - Large, very thin and crispy slices with Grande Mozz and "san marzano" tomatoes (ie, not a pre-made pizza sauce, but I doubt they are using DOP stuff).  If not, it's doughy and not crispy/thin enough.  I used to try to spread the word about it until I discovered the inconsistency issues.  But if I'm ever in the south side I grab a slice nonetheless.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 12:16:18 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I am unaware of a NY style thin and crispy.  Could you describe it to me?  Is it similar to a Chicago thin and crispy?

Offline SUZANNAHA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 01:30:03 PM »
suzannaha,  I actually know what sauce/cheese/flour/pepperoni vincents is using, and am also pretty sure about the dough recipe and fermentation techniques as well. I would rather talk on the phone about all the details if you want to PM me your phone number.

Other than Il Pizzaiolo (which is making pies exactly like they do in Naples Italy), Vincents is my favorite pizza in the burgh.  Totally unique.  Pizza made by a madman!  It took me years of investigation to find out all the details, but I would be happy to share the info as long as it is kept private.

Hi Scott:  I want to give you my number so I can get that recipe!! i am horribly wanting a "real" pizza so I have to make it myself.  No-one here in Texas can make a pie like Pittsburgh-style!  Thanks
SUZANNAHA
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:44:40 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pflati1

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 05:58:04 PM »

Hi Scott ,
 I tried to PM you but your PM box is full ....Can You Pm me this info also?
Thanks