Author Topic: Pizza Stone Smoking  (Read 12230 times)

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Stone Smoking
« on: February 03, 2007, 07:59:27 PM »
Hi,

I just bought a pizza stone and everytime I try to heat it up at 500 degrees, smoke starts coming from underneath it, setting off my smoke detector. The first time I used it, I made the mistake of slathering it with olive oil..I know, I know, olive oil doesn't do well at high heat, I just wasn't thinking at the time. But I rubbed the olive oil off but it won't stop smoking. This is my second time trying to use it. Has anybody else had any problems with a smoking pizza stone?

Offline Bryan S

Re: Pizza Stone Smoking
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 08:07:27 PM »
Hi,

I just bought a pizza stone and everytime I try to heat it up at 500 degrees, smoke starts coming from underneath it, setting off my smoke detector. The first time I used it, I made the mistake of slathering it with olive oil..I know, I know, olive oil doesn't do well at high heat, I just wasn't thinking at the time. But I rubbed the olive oil off but it won't stop smoking. This is my second time trying to use it. Has anybody else had any problems with a smoking pizza stone?
Problem with you putting olive oil on it is the stone is very porous and the oil will take some time to burn off. If you have a gas grill/charcoal grill put it on there and bake it on high for an hour or so till it stops smoking.  ;)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:10:17 PM »
THanks for the quick reply. I have a charcoal grill but I really don't feel like firing it up. Any other way to get the olive oil out?

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 08:25:18 PM »
THanks for the quick reply. I have a charcoal grill but I really don't feel like firing it up. Any other way to get the olive oil out?
Not that i can think of. Can you put a fan in a window near the stove and turn on the range hood fan and just burn it off in the oven, and take the battery out of said detector for a little bit.  ;D Burning it off is a safe bet to not harm the stone.

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 08:31:08 PM »
I have one of those detectors that is wired into the electrical system of the house, so once it goes off, I can't manually stop it. I think I will use the fan and burn it off in the oven. How long do you think it will take to burn off?

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »
I have one of those detectors that is wired into the electrical system of the house, so once it goes off, I can't manually stop it. I think I will use the fan and burn it off in the oven. How long do you think it will take to burn off?
Well depends how much oil you put on it. I would guess maybe 15-20 min. It'll smoke real bad for a little and slowly fade away. Put some foil on the oven rack below the stone that's on the upper rack incase it seeps out of the stone. That will help with the smoking, instead of the oil dripping down on to the heat element/coil.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 08:42:29 PM by Bryan S »

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 08:38:35 PM »
okay, cool. I would guess that I put about 1 to 1 1/2 cup of olive oil on it, if that much. And I had wiped alot of it off. I will do what you just recommended. Thanks!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 08:45:57 PM »
okay, cool. I would guess that I put about 1 to 1 1/2 cup of olive oil on it, if that much. And I had wiped alot of it off. I will do what you just recommended. Thanks!
OK that's alot of oil. Put the stone in cold and let it heat up with the oven. Maybe you'll get lucky and alot of the oil will run out while it's heating up and drip on to the foil. Keep a eye on the foil incase it gets a lot of oil on it, might want to change it. Might want to line a sheet pan with the foil and just put that under the stone. Good luck.

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 08:48:10 PM »
thanks. I can actually see the lines of oil in the stone too. I will keep watching it. Hopefully it'll take no more than half hour at most for it all to burn off.

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 09:15:27 PM »
Well so far, after about 15 minutes, I don't see any oil dripping whatsoever. My smoke detector is going off and the only thing that seems to be different is that the surface of the stone seems a little moist looking. Should i turn the stone over so that the surface is facing the bottom of the oven?

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 09:22:15 PM »
Well so far, after about 15 minutes, I don't see any oil dripping whatsoever. My smoke detector is going off and the only thing that seems to be different is that the surface of the stone seems a little moist looking. Should i turn the stone over so that the surface is facing the bottom of the oven?
Yeah you'll want the oil to drip out/down.

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 09:25:24 PM »
Okay, I just did that, and amazingly enough, the smoke detector has stopped. LOL.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 12:18:29 AM »
Okay, I just did that, and amazingly enough, the smoke detector has stopped. LOL.
Glad to hear that.  8)

Offline pkasten

• Pizzas of the world unite!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 02:44:27 AM »
in the future, try wrapping your smoke detector in saran wrap, or, if the shape does not allow it, tape a sheet of wrap over it.  i know how annoying those things can be..

paul

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 02:49:25 PM »
If the smoke detector is hard wired shouldn't there be a circuit breaker for it?

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 09:32:24 PM »
in the future, try wrapping your smoke detector in saran wrap, or, if the shape does not allow it, tape a sheet of wrap over it.  i know how annoying those things can be..

paul

:-D :-D ROFL PAUL! I just love how the answer isn't "Buy a new stone" but rather a suggestion to compromise a safety device! Now that's the sign of a true chef ladies and gentlemen.  :chef:

That smoke gives your pizza flavor, so use it sparingly!

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 01:06:15 AM »
Run your oven up on the cleaning cycle to completely clean that stone up.

Jack

Offline pkasten

• Pizzas of the world unite!
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 06:25:49 PM »
heh.. guess I should have mentioned that while your smoke detector is covered, you should be burning the oil off of the pizza stone by cranking the oven and leaving it on until the smoke stops.

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »
I tried to cover the smoke detector but it would beep like crazy, I'm thinking it has a sensor that makes it go off if something is placed over it. I am going to soak my stone for in warm water for 30 minutes each day for the next 3 days and let it dry for 2 days. I think that should do the trick.

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 12:50:28 PM »
If the smoke detector is hard wired shouldn't there be a circuit breaker for it?

I have no idea. lol