Author Topic: Neapolitan dough to bread conversion?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
Neapolitan dough to bread conversion?
« on: February 05, 2007, 12:39:46 PM »
Due to an error in salt proportion I had to make 30 (as opposed to 10) pizza's worth of dough :-[.  After baking yesterday I still have a substantial amount of 1.5 week old cold fermented dough.  Is it possible to use this as a base for a rustic loaf, or is the high hydration dough only amenable to making high heat flat breads like pizza or pita's?  The recipe was based on the excellent Varasano spread sheet using only Camaldoli sarter and no dry yeast.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Alexi

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Re: Neapolitan dough to bread conversion?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:10:19 AM »
I use my pizza dough for bread a lot.  High hydration isn't a problem... When I make ciabatta I do way higher hydration than my pizza dough. 

Here is some bread made with my pizza dough (also using just camoldoli starter):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/356567686_59c5a7a90b.jpg

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline pkasten

• Pizzas of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 01:16:03 AM »
focaccia is another VERY high hydration bread dough.  don't sweat the hydration.  with a healthy dose of bench flour, you could roll some nice baguettes or sandwich rolls. 

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 07:58:43 PM »
Here is some bread made with my pizza dough (also using just camoldoli starter):

Wow, what a beautiful loaf.  How did you shape/ bake it?  (ie. what temperature oven, how long, how dis you brown the crust so beautifully?)

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 10:34:15 PM »
Wow, what a beautiful loaf.  How did you shape/ bake it?  (ie. what temperature oven, how long, how dis you brown the crust so beautifully?)

Thanks.  Just shaped it into a big dough ball and let it rest for a couple hours.  For that particular loaf I was actually trying a method I read from the "no knead bread" topic on this board... Pre-heated a dutch oven for a half hour in a 500 degree oven, and put the dough in the dutch oven after it was hot, slashed it, and put the lid on and back in the oven for a half hour more.  Needs to be on the middle rack otherwise the bottom gets too brown.  Also make sure you remove the knob off the lid of your dutch oven if you have one... I didn't do that the first time and it blew up into little bits in the oven.  :-)

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

pizzapan