Author Topic: first time buying cultures  (Read 10388 times)

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Re: first time buying cultures
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 05:00:58 PM »
Are you crazy?  did you read the neapolitan section of this site before marco came aboard?

Yup.  And I've read every single one of his posts.  I still stand by that statement.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 05:03:30 PM »
 You are under the impression that it is just a set of ingredients and processes and equipment and that is IT.  That is not it.  

Are you talking to me?  If so you are very misguided.  If that were the case I don't think I would spend 5 days a week doing controlled eperiments to perfect my pizza.  Now you are insulting me.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »
Eaaaaasy there, killer. 

I'll be back to continue this later... have to go pick up a check.   Flame on.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 05:08:50 PM »
Yup.  And I've read every single one of his posts.  I still stand by that statement.

- aba

If you are trying to say most of the information he brought to us came from others on the forum,  you are crazy.  

If you are saying that much of the information he brought to the forum came from other italians in and around naples, than you may be correct.

Offline benny

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 06:11:26 PM »
im sorry to have touched off a storm.

that wasnt my intention.

for what its worth the bbq forums i lurk in people discuss and know/learn techniques and secrets. but as a judge in contests i can tell you that the top guys come out on top, i know even with the same ingredients recipes it comes out different.  they got there mojo working. the same im sure with pizza.

to me cooking is an art, you learn, share communicate with others, but in the end as i tell my wife it is in the "mojo". putting soul and love into it....bbq anyway, italian cooking.

Offline benny

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 06:12:05 PM »
by the way i ordered, the italian cultures from sourdo and start there.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 07:51:53 PM »
Thanks Scott to pop in...

I have written a long message, but then I thought that someone like that do not deserve a long answer.

He do not even realised that people advising him would most probably refer back to something I have previuosly written (e.g. Petezza is very good but not always has provided long references, and for instance if is something he has tested after being probed by something I said, not always this was written or very clear- Peter no bad feeling, but I have often pointed this out). There have not been many (if at all any) professionals on this forum before me, but again someone may miss that...

Benny,

No problem, as I said I will keep warning people of "suspicious" people/Products/brands. Then is up to the reader to make a choice, who they want to believe...

Ciao and have good journey with your starters.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 07:54:39 PM »
As someone who has followed the Neapolitan thread and pretty much developed my Dough making skill from tips and advice provided almost entirely from Marco,I feel he has defended his position far more than necessary.
It is common knowledge that he has a Book in the works and has to protect that property and his relationship with prospective publishers.
IMO he has been very generous with his flow of informed tips and insight.
It seems that all too often people come to this Forum and want the Magic Pill - all the answers,no effort,sweet success.These are usually the ones who find it distasteful when they do not get the desired response.
If you really want to know the "Secrets" it is all out there for you.It does however take some effort.I know which ovens I would like to use .I know the make and model of the mixer.I discovered the brands names of  ingredients used by  legendary Neapolitans,should I choose to use them.
Marco never told me any of this,I went out and searched,but I would bet money that I wouldn't be as happy with my pizza today without the input  from him.
If I was a commercial opperator I also wouldn't divulge my methods and techniques.Like Bianco (as  has been quoted )UPN has put out a "Recipe" that folks can try at home also,but you might as well buy a packet of frozen dough if you think you'll get anything resembling a true Neapolitan Pizza from your home oven with it.I think gratitude is due rather than the continued negative responses.
              David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 08:10:44 PM »
(e.g. Petezza is very good but not always has provided long references, and for instance if is something he has tested after being probed by something I said, not always this was written or very clear- Peter no bad feeling, but I have often pointed this out).

Marco,

I don't have any idea about what you are referring to. I cover a lot of territory and it is possible that I may have missed something as I move from one topic to another. Please feel free to send me a PM if there is something you feel I should have covered but didn't. If others feel the same, please send me your PMs also. I may forget things from time to time but it is not my practice to dodge issues.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »
im sorry to have touched off a storm.

that wasnt my intention.

Benny, don't be sorry.  you were just asking a legitimate question, and then somebody had to come in and start throwing insults around.  That is not your fault.

To everyone, I apologise for the storm, but I find it very hard to sit back and not say anything when any member of this forum is personally attacked.

Offline rdb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 09:15:31 PM »
  I too have just begun using the Sourdo "Italian Starters" It took a lot of love to get them from the package to foaming, frothy festivals of life on my counter, far more interesting than sea monkeys...lol
  Of the few pizzas I have made with them, the guests preferred the starter pies to the IDY/ADY ones...nuff said.
 I for one would prefer Marco to tell me I was doing something wrong, and not tell what, to him not saying anything at all. I can glean more from his quips, than a lifetime of reading boards. I might have to work at it, but the Ah Ha! moment is worth it. Unfortunately, I do not have a woodfired stove yet (I'm working on it).
 I can't wait for his book.
 Pete-zza, don't worry about the comment from Marco, you do yeoman's work around here, and I think Marco was just (in his mysterious ways) giving a nudge nudge, gimmee a little credit more often kindof thing,  not a poke.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 09:34:02 PM »
It's funny how many people are replying to this thread over and over in defense of Marco...but in their reply they are pretty much agreeing with the points I am trying to make...

There is no magic... there is only skill of the maker.  Therefore, what is the harm in making everything else transparent?  *light bulb*??? Nope, still didn't come on I guess...

Ah yes, the infamous book that I have been hearing about for 2 years now... Yet Marco in a previous post says how someone else published a book themselves by basically compiling his posts... but yet no publisher has interest when it comes from him?  Odd.

And David, this is directly to you.  You don't know me.  You don't even have the faintest idea how long I've been making pizza/bread.  So don't accuse me of "coming to this board and wanting a magic pill."  don't let the post count fool you bud, I've been around here longer than you and probably been at it longer than you as well.  So get your facts straight before you generalize me of being some lazy n00b that wants an instruction sheet. 

Edit: Back to scott's original reply, he mentioned all the criticism of marco of late.  This is what results when people with lower tolerance to BS finally get enough... they start speaking out against the general opinion... But as what usually happens with things like this (and like...oh, I dunno, presidential approval ratings) the rest of the population eventually starts to see it as well.. ;-)

- aba

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 09:53:09 PM by abatardi »
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 10:38:56 PM »

don't let the post count fool you bud, I've been around here longer than you and probably been at it longer than you as well.  So get your facts straight before you generalize me of being some lazy n00b that wants an instruction sheet. 

I doubt you have been at it longer than David.  He is a (retired) professional chef and you are 25 years old.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 10:42:34 PM by scott r »

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 11:46:02 PM »
I doubt you have been at it longer than David.  He is a (retired) professional chef and you are 25 years old.

Edit: nevermind.  pointless.

- aba
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 01:10:58 AM by abatardi »
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2007, 11:49:29 PM »
xxx
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 12:52:35 AM »
Can't we all just get along here? My Italian starters came today from Sour Dough Dot com. Marco this is for you. Thanks, Thanks a lot. 8) I have been using cultures from Ed Wood and his Co. for almost 2 years, and yes, i have his book, so no jumping on the bandwagon from Bryan. I learned about sour D from a BBQ forum, go figure.  :o I'm a newbie here on the pie forum, so I'm not really respected much, whatever. Yeah i have much to learn about pizza, but i bet i could Wow you with my BBQ.  ;) Thanks to all here for posting what you know, I'll do the same when i can. Thanks again, Bryan
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 06:46:58 AM »
Aw shucks, Abatardi...

I'm just a simple country boy from Kiwi country, but if I read this right, you seem to think that Marco is not sharing enough knowledge with the folk on this interweb forum...

And by talking the way that you do, you're gonna make him spill the beans right???  (excuse me while I just pick myself up from the floor ..  I laughed so much that I fell outa my ole rocking chair and dropped my corncob pipe)

My momma used to tell me: "son, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar..."  Guess your momma never told you..

Offline MWTC

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
That's a non-talking fly. Forget that fly. Just flies in circles.

MWTC  :chef:

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »
My momma used to tell me: "son, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar..."  Guess your momma never told you..

Haha actually now that you mention it, I used that exact same quote TO Marco once after a particularly interesting exchange. 

- aba

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 02:50:48 PM by abatardi »
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2007, 04:00:22 PM »
Aaron, not long ago asking on how to activate and wash a starter ......

Marco, not long ago, giving rave reviews on a book that taught him how to make pizza:

"As a Neapolitan leaving abroad, I was looking for help in recreating the real thing! Then I found this book. The history of the Pizza is full of detailed information and the description of ingredients and methods scientifically precise. A must have book for anyone interested in baking his own pizza or knowing more about this wonderful food." - Marco Parente, in a 5 star review of book "Pizza Napoletana", Amazon UK, Jan 15th, 2004 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1580080855/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-9594194-0858003

- aba

Make me a bicycle CLOWN!