Author Topic: South Side Thin Crust..  (Read 11719 times)

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: South Side Thin Crust..
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 07:35:05 AM »
Randy, for what it's worth, here's mine:

For 3 16" Pizzas:

5 cups AP Flour
1 2/3 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp corn oil or 4 tbsp butter

mix water yeast and sugar, let work for 5 minutes, add oil or butter, then flour. Mix for approx. 5 minutes or until it feels right. Place in an oiiled bowl, cover and let rise for at least 1 1/2 hours. Punch down and divide into 3 sections.

If using perforated pans, I butter them, sprinkle with corn meal. Roll out dough as thin as possible, add sauce of your liking, toppings and bake at 475-500 for 8-9 minutes.

Not a detailed recipe, but it works for me every time.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 11:45:05 AM »
. Only enthusiasts will pay $14 for a large cracker crust, and a majority want 3 pizzas for $9.99. They want to be filled-up.
Sorry for the speech.
Yes i know i just recently paid $18 for a 14inch thin crust cheese & sausage, that barely fed two hungry men.   Chiguy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 11:59:25 AM »
Thanks itsinthesauce, I will give it a try.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 05:37:32 PM »
let me know what u think.

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 03:22:39 PM »
Hey folks, I'm glad to see that this topic has taken off.  Some of the Pizza's that I grew up on (in Homewood, IL....183rd block south) is Aurelios....as the home store is in downtown Homewood, along with others such as Miroballi's in Frankfort (not real well known, but great sauce and nice and greasy).  In any event, the thin-greasy-cracker-sweet sauce is what I'm looking for and I will try what's been suggested here.  Thanks for the info....living in South Dakota for the past 7 years I've slowly been missing the tastes of home.  Is there an Italian Beef Sammich forum here too?    ;) 

Thanks again.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 03:44:10 PM »
Witt,

Of all the pizza places, I think Aurelio's has the best sauce!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 03:45:33 PM »
I should add to that. I think they merely use Puree mixed with about 30-35% water and sugar...a lot.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »
Like Witt, I'm happy this topic has taken off.  I've been using my Malnati's recipe with an eyeballed amount of extra flour (to really dry it out) just before rolling it out to come up with my thin crust but it's not quite right.  I'm hoping some good responses come from this then someone can come up with a bakers formula for it.  Why do I need a bakers formula?  I can't make chocolate chip cookies using volume measurements without creating an over sugared, chocolate lumped coaster or a tooth breaking rock so to try volume measurements with my beloved pizza might be a nightmare.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 07:26:20 PM »
OK guys and gals... I think this one is a hit.... Hey Witt... Give this one a try, I think this one is not to far off of Aurelio's dough. I really can't tell right now but my mouth is buzzing away from the hot peppers that I have put on my pizza tonight!!!! I make the recipe that itsinthesauce has a few posts up. I made 2 pizzas and the last dough ball is in the icebox chilling for tomorrow. I'm going to see how it is for a 24hr rise

Jeff..

ps..  here is a pic of one of them I made tonight

Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 07:52:37 AM »
That works for me!

Offline kramer73

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »
made this last night along with a NY style.  This one was tasty! 

Offline wrm2012

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 08:47:22 AM »
I used Itsinthesauceís recipe for my first try for a Cthin pizza.  I made it in a 16 inch solid cutter pan.  I tried reducing the recipe by 1/3 and next time will make the recipe just as it is for 3 16 inch pizzas.  I did have a little trouble getting it to fit the pan could have used just a little bit more dough.  I did press it down to at least fit the bottom of the pan, and boy was it thin in spots. I also should have used a little more oil in the pan as it stuck to the pan.  But wow what a great tasting pizza.  I probably also used too much cheese on it but dang was it good.  I made the dough the day before and after the first rise I punched it down and put it in the fridge.  How long will this dough last in the fridge?  This was my 3rd home made pizza and was my daughterís favorite and she has always said she didnít like thin pizza. LOL

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »
Ed and Joe's Pizza was a family favorite after we moved into town (Tinley Park) from the farm. I was 10-years old at the time and everytime I go back to Chicago to visit family we always get a thin crust pizza from Ed and Joe's. Yup, they are still in business after over 55-years, and the best part is that for all practical purposes, their pizza hasn't changer one bit! Only the very edges of the 4 corner pieces (party cut) have a little crisp to them, that's why they're always the first to go. The rest of the slices are akin to a piece of wet pasta, but a lot better tasting. Beggar's Pizza, a south side chain does a pretty decent job on this type of pizza too.
Tom Lehmann/the Dough Doctor

Offline BTB

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
Tom, you bring back some good memories for me.  Ed and Joe's in Tinley Park, IL, was one of my favorite pizzas when we lived in the south suburbs of Chicago for many years.  It has won many awards for best pizza and is still going strong I understand.  Living in Florida now, I miss those great old mom and pop pizzerias.  I understand from their website that they ship frozen pizzas now also.  Hmmmm. 

Other great thin crust pizzas in the south burbs that I recall were Joe Aurelio's place in Homewood, Nino's, Papa's, Fox's and many others.                       --BTB

Offline Markap

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
Tom, you bring back some good memories for me.  Ed and Joe's in Tinley Park, IL, was one of my favorite pizzas when we lived in the south suburbs of Chicago for many years.  It has won many awards for best pizza and is still going strong I understand.  Living in Florida now, I miss those great old mom and pop pizzerias.  I understand from their website that they ship frozen pizzas now also.  Hmmmm. 

Other great thin crust pizzas in the south burbs that I recall were Joe Aurelio's place in Homewood, Nino's, Papa's, Fox's and many others.                       --BTB

Papa's  - My all time fav! I worked there for a few years too.. Man If I could find the sauce Id be in heaven.. BTW Papa's use a pre formed pre cooked dough , I remember it had holes uniformly through it (reminds me of the supermarket ones you find today, only thinner). came in bags from the vendor. They had a machine for adding the sausage, you would place the pizza under it and it would squeeze out pieces and cut them off, did the whole pizza in one go. They also had a rotating stone shelved oven 480-490 degrees.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
Papa's use a pre formed pre cooked dough , I remember it had holes uniformly through it (reminds me of the supermarket ones you find today, only thinner). came in bags from the vendor.

ewwww   :-D

Offline BTB

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 08:35:27 AM »
Papa's  - My all time fav! I worked there for a few years too.. Man If I could find the sauce Id be in heaven.. BTW Papa's use a pre formed pre cooked dough , I remember it had holes uniformly through it (reminds me of the supermarket ones you find today, only thinner). came in bags from the vendor. They had a machine for adding the sausage, you would place the pizza under it and it would squeeze out pieces and cut them off, did the whole pizza in one go. They also had a rotating stone shelved oven 480-490 degrees.
Boy, I remember Papa's, too.  Very thin, crispy and tasty.  I always wondered what happened to them.  So much competition had grown up in the area.   --BTB