Author Topic: Philly Tomato Pie  (Read 354 times)

Offline wahoo88

Philly Tomato Pie
« on: December 29, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »
This was my first attempt at a style of pizza known as a Philadelphia Tomato Pie. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_pie

The style is characterized by a focaccia/sicilian- type dough, a cooked sauce, and only a minimal amount of cheese applied after the pie has cooled.  It is usually served at room temperature.

Dough:
Flour (Pillsbury Best Bakers 12.9% protein) : 100%
Water : 75%
Salt : 2%
ADY: 0.5%
Extra Virgin Olive Oil : 3%

Mixed by hand.  Slap and fold method used.  Fermented at cold room temperature (60 degrees) for 26 hours in a bowl.  Proofed at 65 degrees for 4 hours.

Sauce:
Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes
Onion
Garlic
Butter
Chili flakes

Cooked for about 30 minutes until reduced by about 20%.

Baking:
I greased the pan with a thin layer of Crisco for non-stick and about a tablespoon of EVOO for flavor.  I find that after a dough has proofed for a few hours in the pan, the oil gets absorbed into the dough and doesn't prevent sticking. I baked the dough (470F) naked for about 10 minutes so that the large amount of sauce wouldn't inhibit the spring of the dough.  After the sauce was applied the pie baked for another 10 minutes.  After the pie was out of the oven for about 15 minutes, I sprinkled on a bit of good Parmigiano Reggiano.

Overall, I really enjoyed eating this pizza.  The dough was very light and airy but maintained a level of chewiness. The sauce is more cooked than I prefer for other styles of pizza but worked well as the main topping.  The cheese added a nice saltiness to each bite.  It think I'll be making more of these pies soon.

Have you heard of or tried a 'Philly Tomato Pie' before?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:39:37 AM by wahoo88 »
Dan

Offline wahoo88

Re: Philly Tomato Pie
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
Today I made a true focaccia, with no pizza toppings.  It turned out very good.   The crumb was about perfect in my opinion.  I think I can handle more hydration mixing by hand and may increase the hydration by 5% next time.  I was able to get a fairly tight ball with this recipe at 80 percent hydration without too much effort.

Dough:
Flour (Pillsbury Best Bakers): 100%
Water : 80%
ADY : 0.5%

Slap and fold method used to knead dough.  I find this method works best with the sloppy doughs.

Cold room temperature ferment overnight (60F) and 5 hour proof in pan at 65F.  Baked at 460F in a pan first greased with Crisco and then with EVOO.  EVOO and large crystal salt were put on top before the pan rise.
Dan

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:21:43 AM »
I recently made the same focaccia recipe as in my previous post, but upped the hydration to 85% and increased dough weight for a 1/2 sheet pan to 1200g. I used the slap/fold technique to develop the dough and got a momentarily cohesive dough ball with a bit of tension in the skin. 

The bread was probably the best thing that's come out of my oven.  I can't believe what a difference 85% versus 80% hydration makes for the crumb of focaccia. I'm sorry I didn't take pictures as I usually photograph my bread the morning after I bake it, and this bread was gone.
Dan

Offline Pizza Baker

• I Love Wood Fired Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 06:14:52 PM »
Today I made a true focaccia, with no pizza toppings.  It turned out very good.   The crumb was about perfect in my opinion.  I think I can handle more hydration mixing by hand and may increase the hydration by 5% next time.  I was able to get a fairly tight ball with this recipe at 80 percent hydration without too much effort.

Dough:
Flour (Pillsbury Best Bakers): 100%
Water : 80%
ADY : 0.5%

Slap and fold method used to knead dough.  I find this method works best with the sloppy doughs.

Cold room temperature ferment overnight (60F) and 5 hour proof in pan at 65F.  Baked at 460F in a pan first greased with Crisco and then with EVOO.  EVOO and large crystal salt were put on top before the pan rise.
Nice looking Focaccia.