Author Topic: Crushed Tomatoes comparison  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Troy T

• I Love Pizza!
Crushed Tomatoes comparison
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:45:56 AM »
Sunday I made some homemade marinara sauce and took this time to compare some different verities of Crushed Tomatoes I picked up, 6 in 1, Cento and some San Marzano knock off. 

I should have read the ingredients prior to buying the San Marzano, I got sucked in by the name. They are made of reconstituted tomatoes and preservatives were added.  Texture, was very watery.  Taste, not good at all, I have had no name store brands in the past that were much better.

The 6 in 1 I have been using these for my pizzas (4 to date) and for making marinara sauce for the last year or so, and have been my favorite, until now.

To my surprise the Cento were thicker than the 6 in 1 and had a fresher tomato taste.  So I threw away the San Marzno, used the 6-1 for my marinara sauce and made a batch of pizza sauce from the Centos.  I will only buy the Cento in the future until I can find some real San Marzano to compare them to.

Troy

Offline ELeight

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Crushed Tomatoes comparison
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 11:03:56 AM »
troy,
Interesting taste test.  I put my family through a similiar experiment but used whole canned tomatoes that I ran a stick blender through quickly.  I can't remember all the brands but I believe there were six.  The Cento Itialian whole tomatoes (not DOP) won definitively!
Erik

Offline derbow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 02:31:25 PM »
Troy,

Based on your post, I am trying the Cento Crushed tomatoes tonight on my first Chicago Pizza.  I will let you know what I think.  Would you be willing to share your spice mix with us for your sauce?

Derrick

Offline derbow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:39:17 AM »
I have now tried Cento tomatoes and 6 in 1 brand.  The 6 in 1 brand tomatoes won hands down.  If I had to rate them, I would give Cento a 5 out of 10, and 6 in 1 a 10 out of 10.

Derrick

Offline tourmaline

• Hold the pepperoni - I'm vegetarian!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »
Here are comparison pictures of Cento Crushed Tomoatoes & Pomi Strained Tomatoes. Both of them have only tomatoes for ingredients - no citric acid. I'm disappointed with the Pomi, they are watery, with a whipped-smooth texture, and brownish, almost like a runny barbecue sauce, and their taste is equally lackluster.
The Cento Crushed are very nice, I am liking them a lot for my pizza sauce. I have some Escalon 6 in 1s coming to me, so will be excited to try those.
If anyone else feels inspired to post comparison pics of tomato products straight out of the can in this thread, please do!  :pizza:  :)
- Zoe

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 09:15:32 PM »
don't get hung up on citric acid, tomatoes naturally contain a very small amount of citric acid before they ever go into the can. Cento also cans another crushed tomato product call "all-in-one" they are thicker than the "all purpose" that you picture, and the can states that they contain "naturally derived" citric acid.

Offline tourmaline

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »
don't get hung up on citric acid, tomatoes naturally contain a very small amount of citric acid before they ever go into the can. Cento also cans another crushed tomato product call "all-in-one" they are thicker than the "all purpose" that you picture, and the can states that they contain "naturally derived" citric acid.

Thanks, but I really don't like the taste of added citric acid in my tomato product. Previously when I was using tomato paste to make my pizza sauce, I could always taste the added citric acid - it would make the product taste much more tart - so I always sought out brands like Contadina who did not put citric acid in their paste. The addition of citric acid just means I have to add significantly much more sugar/salt to tame the tartness, which I'd just rather not have to do.  :)

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »
IMHO, Cento makes a great product in their "Italian Whole Tomatoes with Basil." This is definitely NOT the same product as their "Italian Style", "Crushed" or "Puree" products. Noticed they are now marketing a "San Marzano" tomato which I haven't tried yet. Still working through my stock of Francesconi tomatoes. Mmmmm.

Cheers
I slit the sheet. The sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit.

Offline tourmaline

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:57 AM »
Thanks, Slagathor, I'll have to keep my eyes open for those Italian Whole Tomatoes, but I just got my Escalon 6 in 1s so I'm excited to try those.

Since this is kind of a reference thread, here are some comparison pics of Cento Puree (left) vs. Cento Crushed (right). The Cento Puree is slightly thinner and a little more smooth  than the Crushed Tomatoes. But they're really quite similar.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:23:58 AM by tourmaline »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 02:36:25 PM »
Here's a brand no one ever talks about. That's unfortunate because they are excellent tomatoes.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Great Value Crushed
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »
In a different post someone mentioned these, so yesterday I picked up a can at Walmart. I opened it an hour ago to make sauce for my Sunday pie and it was great!

Very sweet, it tasted so good I had to look at the label because I thought they added sugar. Anyway, for about $1.60 it was a really great deal, err, I mean great value  :-D

pizzapan