Author Topic: Calling ALL KitchenAid Owners!!!  (Read 3681 times)

Offline sqpixels

• experiments
Calling ALL KitchenAid Owners!!!
« on: February 16, 2007, 07:08:41 AM »
I need some advice about which KitchenAid I should get.

I am going to buy a KitchenAid. Which would you recommend? The Artisan™ Mixer or the Heavy Duty Mixer?

Because I am in Singapore, and for some reason (I think it might have something to do with the voltage difference) the range of products and attachments differ. The only dough hook available here is the C hook - but I've heard great things about the spiral one but it won't fit the KA models in a 220V world. That being the case - both models have a C hooks - which should I get? Artisan or Heavy Duty?

Please help!!

Big Thanks!!

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
Re: Calling ALL KitchenAid Owners!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 08:20:16 AM »
From what I've been reading, whichever one can accept the Spiral Hook instead of the C hook. Can you give any more info on why it won't fit the 220v models so some member more informed than I can make suggestions?

My Kitchenaid is now in the closet and I'm using my DLX......

- Al
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 08:22:01 AM by pizzoid »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:13:28 AM »
There was a design change on the KA mixer to acceppt the upward thrust of the sprial dough hooks so not all models will will work with sprial dough hook.

Your best bet is to go here, register then ask.
http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 02:30:07 AM »
I've got the professional 5 (heavier bowl-lift model), and I'm pretty happy.  It certainly beats the cr*p out of my dough.  I know there are mixers with entirely different kneading actions that are probably superior, but if you're gonna get a KA, get the heavier one.  Tip:  You can get a slightly better one than the 5 at Costco for $279 including Costco's little-advertised unconditional lifetime warranty.  It's got the lift bowl, spiral dough hook, and 475 watts of power instead of the usual 450.  Wish I'd known when I bought mine.  If there's not a Costco near you, take a look on http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=10043022&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Good luck!!!  :chef:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:35:21 AM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline bolabola

• extra crispy please
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 07:21:43 PM »
for sure get the lift bowl.. :chef:
Pizza Rocks

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 12:11:06 AM »
I got my Pro 600 (575 watts) at the KA outlet store. Yes it's a refurb but i got the 6qt bowl, spiral hook, paddle, and a whisk for $219.00 and free shipping. This was a year and a half ago (i think they are $239.00 now) but it works great, i have zero complaints.  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 09:59:29 AM »
I Bought the 6 quart (575 watts) new online last year I think for about $350.00.............it works great, no complaints.........of course I only use it about once or twice a week.

tony

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 12:37:27 AM »
Here's a link to the outlet store. http://shopkitchenaid.com/category.asp?CAT=OUTLET :) Click on the color swatches to see if that color mixer is in stock.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 12:39:09 AM by Bryan S »
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline sqpixels

• experiments
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 03:04:14 AM »
Big thanks to everyone who replied! I finally bought my KA and the international models are very limited compared the the US ones. So I bought the heavy duty lift bowl version and the only dough hook is the the C hook. Oh well...

Thanks!!!

Offline pzzapare

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 09:39:29 PM »
I had a Kitchen Aid Professional Six, and it could not stand up to heavy duty bread dough mixing.  I took it into the shop twice for repairs.  According to my mixer technician, Kitchen Aid used to be produced by Hobart, and had metal gears.  Now they have plastic parts, and they break more easily.  I bought a 10 quart Hobart on Ebay, and it is a champ.  If you do a lot of mixing, I would be reluctant to recommend a Kitchen Aid.

Offline timza

• My very first pizza.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 11:17:46 PM »
While I would agree that the Hobart is a better mixer, I am sorry to point out that KitchenAid does make mixers that have metal gears.  There is a continuing myth that all KitchenAid Mixers now have plastic gears and it is not true.  They may not be built as well as they used to be...but if you go to their website at www.kitchenaid.com, their Accolade model, the Professional models, and their Commerical model all clearly show that they have metal gears.  And note that the Accolade has a tilting head.

The metal gears may be better, but they are also louder.  I have the Artisian model with the plastic gears and so far I am happy with mine.  But I do not do large batches of dough and I do not mix for long periods. 

In my day job, I run into a few people every year who had problems with a specific manufacturer's this or that who will never use those people's this or that ever again.  The fun part is then a few weeks later I will go to another site where that manufacturer is all another group of people will use because it has never let them down.

Go figure.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 11:24:25 PM by timza »
Eratosthenes calculated the Earth's circumference around 240 B.C.

pizzapan