Author Topic: White Cheddar anyone?  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Ebony

White Cheddar anyone?
« on: February 16, 2007, 12:43:52 PM »
When I lived in New England, Massachusetts to be exact, The pizza there was fantastic.  They used a high percentage of white cheddar with the part skim mozzerella.  Has anyone heard of this and what would be the ratio?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: White Cheddar anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 01:04:30 PM »
Ebony,

If you look at several posts in the Greek pizza thread starting with Reply 20 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg27482.html#msg27482, you will see that there are several possible combinations of mozzarella, cheddar and Provolone. I used a 50/30/20 mix, but the mix can be 50/50 mozzarella and cheddar, or 50/50 cheddar and Provolone, and so forth.

Peter

Offline pkasten

• Pizzas of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 09:33:38 PM »
100% cheddar can be just fine.  Lately, I've enjoyed a pizza brushed with olive oil, and topped with aged cheddar, caramelized corona beans, spinach, and either our house-cured ham or bratwurst. 

Today, we served one with caramelized onion, bleu cheese, pear, and arugula that went over very well.

Paul

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 07:10:40 AM »
Ebony, I know the blend and brand used for about 30 pizzerias in and around boston.   In the suburbs south of the city it is predominently 100% white cheddar,  in the city and north you see more mozzarella/cheddar 50/50 blends, but of course some places use all cheaddar or all mozzarella.  The cheddar/provolone/mozzarella is only used at one pizzeria of the 30.

What pizzeria did you like so much, maybe I can find out for you what they use.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:12:24 AM by scott r »

Offline KarlM

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 12:11:24 AM »
I grew up near Boston, and I always wondered if there was something other kind of cheese in there.  I now live in California, and the cheese here is just incredibly bland.  If you can find it out, the one I liked best was the Newton Corner House of Pizza (actually located just across the border in Watertown, at 127 Galen St.).  The crust was crisp which I didn't like, but the cheese was to die for (and possibly from): very salty, sour, and greasy.  I really wish I could re-create it at home.

Offline Ebony

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 02:45:55 PM »
I lived in Millbury just outside of Worcester.  I can not remember the name but they have  a lot of little hole in the wall places.  The cheese fantastic but the crust wasn't much.  It was really greasy so I would blot it, but the taste was out of this world, so I'm thinking a high cheddar ratio.  I just bought a case of grande and thought I might play with that by adding some cheddar.

Offline jusapena

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »
As a young person living in CT, scarmorza was the standard topping found on pizza. I still use it and find it less problamatic then fresh motz. It also provides an ever so slight hint of smoke. It is dryer then it's younger brother, fresh motz, easier to shred or slice thinly and melts beautifully.

Does anyone remember this cheese or have tried it on their pie?

Offline tiger13

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
When I lived in New England, Massachusetts to be exact, The pizza there was fantastic.  They used a high percentage of white cheddar with the part skim mozzerella.  Has anyone heard of this and what would be the ratio?
Hi
When I ran the cafe of a local bar in Quincy Mass, we used a mix of 70% mild white cheddar and 30% part skim Mozzarella and it was great. Hope this helps you out
                                                                                         Rusty in NC