Author Topic: !st shot at DKM thin crust  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Green Hornet

!st shot at DKM thin crust
« on: February 16, 2007, 06:09:22 PM »
After the last few attempts at clone types from PH and Uno my wife and daughter have instructed me to make a thin crust  :pizza:
I made the dough before work today and will make the pie for lunch tomorrow :D
The digital scale is the best investment so far. It takes the guesswork out of the equation. I thought the dough looked a bit dry when mixing it up, but it formed a nice ball when I dumped it out of the mixer.
Pics will be posted after the cook, I am looking forward to it and hope it works out OK. I have some of the Pappa Johns sauce leftover from the last pie. I will be using the low moisture shredded Mozzerella again.

Offline Musky

Re: !st shot at DKM thin crust
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 06:53:12 PM »
Good luck.  Just formed two of those balls myself for tomorrow night.  Since I started coming here, this crust has been the most difficult for me to get right.

Kevin

Release all muskies.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 07:10:05 PM »
If the dough is right, you do have to work at it to form a ball for sure so you are on the right track.  Most people panic and add water thinking it will never work but it will I promise.
Make sure you roll it out to about 20" diameter.  When you put it on a 16" pan you will cut the excess.  Don't forget to pre bake the crust on the lowest rack.  Figure about 1/2 pound cheese and no more than a cup of sauce.
Good luck this is one fine pizza.

Offline Green Hornet

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 09:04:42 PM »
Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the advice. One question about the docking though,,,I don't have the roller tool, can I just poke a bunch of holes in the dough and does it have to pierce the dough all the way through? ???
OK 2 questions :-D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:25:21 PM »
Green Hornet,

I am not sure whether Randy or DKM use a docker to dock their cracker crust doughs but, as you will see from the first photo in this post, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg26720.html#msg26720 (Reply 389), a good docker should have blunt pins so that they don't completely penetrate the dough. Instead, they should effectively "spot weld" the dough together. You can use a fork to "dock" the dough but unless Randy or DKM instructs otherwise based on what they do, I would try not to penetrate the dough completely.

Peter

Offline Green Hornet

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 09:40:21 PM »
Thanks again 8)
I will check back before I cook and see if someone says something different, otherwise I will go that route!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 07:32:46 AM »
I know it is too late, but I use a table fork as Peter noted and kind of run across the pizza stabbing at the dough after it is on the pan say one punch every inch or so.  It is not all that critical.  I avoid the outer edge. When you parbake it you may have some bubbles in the middle but they will collapse when you start the toppings.

I keep meaning to buy a docker, but you know how that goes.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:36:36 AM by Randy »

Offline Green Hornet

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 12:59:27 PM »
I was rumaging through the kitchen and found a spaghetti stirrer thingy and used it. It had blunt plastic ends and it worked out good. The pan I have has too tall sides so the outter crust was kinda tall. It came out really good. The wife thought it was too dry though. The kids loved it. I used the leftover dough from the pan for bread sticks. Another big hit with the kiddies. I am having trouble getting the pics from the camera card to my computer and have to go to work. But pics are coming.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 06:34:03 PM »
looks like it came out swell.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 06:58:56 PM »
Looks great GH, nice job.  8)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 02:11:58 PM »
For the record I use a fork.
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan