Author Topic: Making Dough Balls Napoletano Style  (Read 1803 times)

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
Making Dough Balls Napoletano Style
« on: February 17, 2007, 01:54:59 PM »
Marco found this video and posted it on the Italian pizza making site.  These are the 2 pizzaioli that Caputo sent over to the Pizza Expo in Vegas last year.  They came out to our pizzeria and helped us out a little bit.  It is amazing to watch experienced guys like this in action.  They are coming back next month for this years expo with two other pizzaioli.

http://www.verapizzanapoletana.org/vpn/multimedia/movies/il-fornaio-06_820.MOV

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Making Dough Balls Napoletano Style
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 02:09:17 PM »
Sumeri,

Thanks for posting the link. Question: is your dough really that stiff? Mine is a lot softer and sticker and, although it is pretty easy to work with, I could never handle it like in that video. I have been meaning to experiment with a lower hydration. Perhaps that will help.

Thanks!

Bill/SFNM

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 03:39:24 PM »
Sumeri --

How long before was the dough in the film mixed?  Has it already risen?  Is it cold in the film or room temperature?  It does seem pretty sturdy, but when it's cold, even higher hydration dough is easy to handle.  What say you, Sumeri?

By the way, I ate at Settebello in Henderson a couple of months ago.  Margherita w/sausage.  Delicious!  I asked for you, but you weren't in.  I have some pics of the pie that I haven't got around to posting yet, but I will this weekend.  You have a beautiful place.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 06:59:44 PM »
Brad,

Actually that link was posted here first by someone else.

Ciao

PS Edited. the pizza show will be in Megas March 20th to 22nd. Shame I should leave the states 2 days earlier...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:01:50 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 11:47:11 PM »
Bill,
I would say ours is about that stiff if we are doing our long rise (making dough at about 9PM for dinner the next night).  If we are doing an 8-12 hour rise we will make it much softer.

Glutenboy
I was there the next day when they were cooking with the dough and I remeber them saying it was about a 24 hour rise but I cannot remember the mixing time or if it was a double rise.