Author Topic: Two More Randy's Thin American  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Musky

Two More Randy's Thin American
« on: February 17, 2007, 11:49:49 PM »
Last week I made my first attempt using the recipe Randy developed and Pete-zza tweaked (Randy's 16" American Thin with High Gluten).  I used bread flour.  At that time I rolled the dough out and trimmed it around a screen not wanting the bread like rim.  Those turned out really well. 

This week I decided to stay more true to the spirit of the original recipe by leaving the thicker puffier rim.  I made a double batch of the dough, cut it in half, and refrigerated for 48 hours.  I also made a thin cracker crust tonight.  I did this first and the American dough balls ended up rising on the counter for 3 hrs. 10 min. and 3 hrs. 30 min. before use respectively.  Longer than my last attempt.  They were very pliable after this time frame.  I bet I could have stretched them to easily make a 20" pizza.  Both were cooked at 500 using convection mode for 9-10 minutes on a screen on a stone.

The first pizza was a spicy sausage, spicy pepperoni, and roasted red and yellow pepper, with 50/50 mix of whole and part skim mozz.

The second was all mine, made with toppings my wife won't touch.  Anchovies, very thinly sliced sauteed button mushrooms, and green olives with the same cheese.  A salty pie to say the least.

Both were very good.  They needed to be supported while eating and were conducive to folding and eating.  I believe the slices in Pete's thread would support themselves.  I feel the sweetness of this dough combines very well with bold flavor ingredients.  I like that it can be rolled out for the result I achieved last week (smaller crunchier rim).  I think both are equally good.  The second ball should have been used a little sooner.  It was REALLY pliable.

Here's some pics.  Thanks again Randy and Pete-zza.  Lots of leftovers tomorrow from tonight's three pies worth of practice.

Kevin

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Two More Randy's Thin American
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 09:27:07 AM »
Musky,

You did a very nice job. The pizzas look terrific.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »
Yes, great looking pizza.

You understand this crust perfectly.  The sweet crust is a great platform for spicy toppings.
Try using Harvest King flour just plan on using a tablespoon more flour.

Offline Green Hornet

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 12:45:31 PM »
I am with you guys on this one. I love the thin bottom and fluffy egde crust. Oh yeah...and the dead fish >:D I luv me some anchovies :)

Offline eric22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 03:07:32 PM »
Next time a photo of  a slice  :P

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:19:23 PM »
Awsome!  :pizza: 8)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 01:14:11 AM »
beautiful, honestly.  I would be really happy if I had ordered out somewhere and got those.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 01:23:02 AM »
I would be really happy if I had ordered out somewhere and got those.
Me Too! What I love about the pic of the first pie is the black charr on the outer part of the pepperoni, simply Awsome. Take a bow Musky, both pies,  Well done.  8)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:26:46 PM »
Fantastic job!

Online goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »
Those are really great!!! I'm making a batch tonight just for Sat. night. I hope they come out like those Musky!!

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

pizzapan