Author Topic: A new member here and his quest for good homemade Pizza Hut priazzo....  (Read 2099 times)

Offline marts500

Hi....this is my very 1st post.

I have been making great homemade pan style pizzas for around 10 years and rarely eat pizza out these days as i usually find toppings do not have the same freshness and flavour and the base a little greasy.

Anyhows....i have some very fond Pizza Hut memories from the late eighties and among these are eating Priazzo Verona and Priazzo Roma pies there,and would love to try making one of those bad boys.

I take it the pastry/dough would not be the same (yeast proofing bread type) and kinda hoped someone here might have tried replicating the recipe with suggestions etc...As far as i remember the Verona had meatballs the Roma had pepperoni...was there a Ricotta and spinach Florentine?

Many thanks
Martin

Offline littlepizzadude

Re: A new member here and his quest for good homemade Pizza Hut priazzo....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:48:42 AM »
I did a google search on this and came up with one hit on a message board where they reminiss (sp) about how good it was but no details on how it's made.  I don't think you're going to get a recipe on it.  best bet is to try and remember what made it special and try and duplicate that yourself.

Offline marts500

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 09:48:16 AM »
thanks littlepizzadude.....i can't find any details on the net either.

Think i will go with a 10" oiled deep pan dish into that some thinly rolled thin pizza base dough formed right up the sides.Maybe give that a few minutes pre-bake.Fill that with some homemade meatballs sausage and marinara sauce pre fried peppers garlic,onion and herbs.Some more thin crust dough rolled out and pinched for the roof.Top off with a ton of cheese blend Moz / Monterey / Cheddar + Oregano.

Bake off.

'scuse me gotta get to the store.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 10:00:37 AM »
marts500,

As you will see from this thread, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1632.msg14757.html#msg14757, there are quite a few others who long for the Priazzo pizza form PH.

Peter

Offline trohrs123

Hi all
First post for me...
Worked as a Pizza Hut Manager from 86-90. The Priazzo dough was definately different from the pan pizza dough and the "traditional" thin dough. The dry ingredients in the dough came pre mixed in a bag and water and oil were mixed in stand mixer. It was a different recipe from the pan and other doughs. The other "key" was a circular / spiral metal insert which had between 40 and 60 "spikes" coming off the bottom of it. After the priazzo was made this spikey thing was pushed down into the pie so that the top metal was exposed to the heat and transferred the heat through the spikes into the pie filling. Without it, the interior fillings and cheese would never cook or the dough and top layer would burn while waiting for the inside to cook enough. I'm not sure if this helps, but there it is ;D
Tim   

Offline wolfsblood07

Darn, I feel like I missed something great now that I read this.  I faintly remember the Priazzo commercials from around that time but I never tried one of them and I'm sure I had many chances to.  I had my share of pan pizzas from Pizza Hut though.

Offline trohrs123

Hey
Never was a big fan of the Priazzo...not sure if I didnt like it because it was a pain in the a** to make, time consuming, or if it was the taste. It was very thick and heavy, a large would take 2 hands to take from the oven and I'm 6 foot 2 and weigh 260+ lbs and at times it was a b**ch to lift out. Also with the 2 layer of dough I think it was just too doughy
Tim