Author Topic: Experiment - Electric oven used at 842F / 450C degrees  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Daniel-B.

• I Love Pizza!
Experiment - Electric oven used at 842F / 450C degrees
« on: February 20, 2007, 09:15:35 AM »
Hello,

here you can see my pizza as result of my experiment by using the electric oven at a very high temperature (842F / 450C degrees).

The taste of the pizza was very good and all the guests were very satisfied  :D

Best regards
Daniel

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
Re: Experiment - Electric oven used at 842F / 450C degrees
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:23:13 AM »
Ahhh, the only way to bake.  Looks good, however your top looks less cooked than your bottom.  Check varasano's webpage for more info on managing the temperature differential between top and bottom.  He helped me sort that out.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:27:54 AM »
Hi Daniel,

Hmm, how long did you have the pie in the oven ?

I'm going to guess about 3 minutes maximum....

edit: ah yes, scpizza, I just noticed the cheese is still basically not melted much, just noticed that after reading your post,
and the mushrooms almost look like they were put on after it came out of the oven, however those muchrooms are FULL of moisture,
so that could be the reason.  The dough looks great though  :D

Hello,

here you can see my pizza as result of my experiment by using the electric oven at a very high temperature (842F / 450C degrees).

Daniel
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:30:23 AM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Daniel-B.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »
It was an experiment at home using very high temperatures for an electric oven (I was afraid to burn down my pizzas and my home too  :D) and the pizza was baked in about 1 minute and 20 secs so that the mozzarella was not melting correctly as it was cutted to thick (next time I will know) but else the pizza was really amazing.

I am not a professional pizza baker (I do this as hobby at home) and I would surely prefere to use a wood oven at home (especially a Forno Napoletano) but I am living in Europe and exactly where I live is FORBIDDEN any use of wood ovens  :'(.... so I try to give my best with the tools that I have. ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:20:31 AM by Daniel-B. »

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
Hi Daniel,

keep it up, next time cut the cheese very thin, and I think that will work very well.  I think you are onto a good thing,
so keep trying and post more pictures when you do some in the future.

Thanks for posting your images, I enjoyed seeing your experiment.  :D

I am not a professional pizza baker (I do this as hobby at home) and I would surely prefere to use a wood oven at home (especially a Forno Napoletano) but I am leaving in Europe and exactly where I live is FORBIDDEN any use of wood ovens  :'(.... so I try to give my best with the tools that I have. ;)
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:14:22 PM »
OK, so you too write both here and on pizza.it....

Ciao

Marco

Offline Daniel-B.

• I Love Pizza!
Experiment - Electric oven used at 842F / 450C degrees
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:45:54 PM »
Ciao Marco,

yes that's right and of course I know you also very well from the italian forum  :D

In any case this forum is a lot much more powerful than the italian one regarding the offered features (from the technical point of view)   8)

Saluti (Regards)
Daniel

Offline josteh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
Beautiful pizza - well done! How did you get these high temperatures in your electric oven? The Varasano-way?

Regards
J.

Offline Daniel-B.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 02:26:24 PM »
I don't know the Varsano-Technique, but I have a good electric oven which it seems to be able to reach even higher temperatures. However the technique was very simple, I turned the oven on at the highest level (10 in my case) and I waited for about 2 hours until the oven reached the 842F / 450C degrees level (my energy company in the town will be very happy about this).

After that I started baking. However I was pretty sure that it will become a disaster and that all will burn black. Fortunately this was not the case  ;D

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 08:48:38 PM »
That's pretty cool.  What kind of oven is it?  I can only get my stone up to about 750, maaaaaybe 800 but the problem is my oven heats from the bottom element only on the clean cycle (my last one heated with both) so my ceiling temp is only like 650... :-(

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 10:04:07 PM »
The Varasano technique is Me :-)

http://jvpizza.sliceny.com/

If your bottom is burning faster than your top (as it looks in your photo), I give tips on how to correct that in an electric oven. I run my electric at from 780-870 depending on the recipe, and I've worked up a lot of techniques for working it correctly.

Good luck,

Jeff

Offline Daniel-B.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 12:30:19 PM »
Hi aba,

my electric oven is a Moretti one.

Jeff your website is really great! The 2nd pizza on your website (DSC01384B.jpg) was also baked in an electric oven?

Regards
Daniel

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 01:01:21 PM »
Hey Daniel,

The 57 second pie was a brick oven. All the other photos are from my electric and are mostly between 1:30 and 2:30. I actually can get my oven to do under 1:30, but I end up with the differential problem you had where the bottom burns before the top.  I actualy prefer just over 2 min anyway.

Jeff

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »
Hey Daniel,

The 57 second pie was a brick oven. All the other photos are from my electric and are mostly between 1:30 and 2:30. I actually can get my oven to do under 1:30, but I end up with the differential problem you had where the bottom burns before the top.  I actualy prefer just over 2 min anyway.

Jeff

I get around the bottom burning faster than the top by simply letting the bottom char to the point that I like it, I then slide a pizza screen under it.  The pizza screens essentially stops the cooking process on the bottom and allows the top to finish soon after.  I then take the whole thing out with my pizza shovel.  Of course, I would like to be more precise but it's kinda hard without a thermometer so I have no idea what temps my stone or oven are at the time.

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 09:45:04 AM »
Ben,

Great idea.. i think I'll try that with my g3Ferrari and see what happens.

grove