Author Topic: Pizza Kettle  (Read 1423 times)

Offline HopHedonist

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Kettle
« on: March 14, 2015, 12:53:11 AM »
Hello,

I am looking to find people that have used the Pizza Kettle. Thoughts, pictures, likes and dislikes are all welcome.

Thank you.

Jason

Offline Gosseni

Re: Pizza Kettle
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:39:54 AM »
I had one for a while. You could get it hot enough but controlling and sustaining temperature was impractical. Took an enormous amount of fuel to get it up and running and to sustain temperature. Every time you take the lid off you lost most of your temperature. Further, it was a very small surface to cook on. I liked that it was cheap. It also confirmed commitment to Neapolitan pizza for me. Good 101 level tool. You will probably upgrade eventually.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »
Unless you can't use propane for some reason, the Blackstone is better in every conceivable way - and by a very large margin.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Grant64

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 09:40:17 AM »
I have Serious Eats SE KettlePizza and I think it's fantastic.  That being said, for the new price of $400, there are cheaper options.  I got mine for $200 lightly used and it's worth every penny.  The prograte plus baking steel lid really makes the difference.  I have verified by IR therm 900F using charcoal and wood chunks.

I'm a grill fanatic, so to me it's more fun to fire up a blazing chimney full of charcoal and use the KettlePizza over the Blackstone.  I think that's where the real "hook" would have to come in to use one.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:41:59 AM by Grant64 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:49:10 AM »
Have you baked pizza in the kettle at temperatures near 900F? If so, what was the approximate bake time? Would love to see pictures.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline Grant64

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 10:09:03 AM »
Have you baked pizza in the kettle at temperatures near 900F? If so, what was the approximate bake time? Would love to see pictures.

I have, actually did last night.  No pictures of the pies, because we were doing the "assembly line" for a party.  Fast and furious.   ;)

Cook time on the pies was about 3-4 mins.  We knocked out five of them in under 30 mins.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:40:20 AM by Grant64 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 10:21:42 AM »
Sometimes temperature readings are not indicative of the true operating temp. 3-4 minute bakes suggests 650F+/-. At 900, you would be burning pie before you hit 2 minutes.

Offline Grant64

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 10:32:28 AM »
Sometimes temperature readings are not indicative of the true operating temp. 3-4 minute bakes suggests 650F+/-. At 900, you would be burning pie before you hit 2 minutes.

Yeah, might've been closer to 2 mins then. Wasn't holding a stopwatch, was just turning out quick pies.  Verified with my IR therm and KettlePizza installed therm was buried (has readings up to 700).

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »
900F on the dome, and 900F on the deck are two very different things.  Grant64, are you speaking of dome temperatures?  The standard here is to talk in terms of hearth temperature. 
-Jeff

Offline Grant64

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 06:26:50 PM »
900F on the dome, and 900F on the deck are two very different things.  Grant64, are you speaking of dome temperatures?  The standard here is to talk in terms of hearth temperature.

These temps are all taken right around where the pizza is positioned.  If you're familiar with the Serious Eats SE KettlePizza, there is a steel lid between the stone and kettle dome, so dome temp would be irrelevant anyway.  You can see where the thermometer on the SE KettlePizza is positioned.  It's an entirely different animal than the standard KettlePizza.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:29:22 PM by Grant64 »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 03:27:53 AM »
I had one. Sold the ring to a guy in FL and kept the 2 stones for spares for the BS. There's one huge thing I hate about the BlackStone.....I did not here of it before buying the Kettle Pizza!! As Craig said "the Blackstone is better in every conceivable way - and by a very large margin". is actually an understatement!! I enjoyed the time I had with the KP but the sweet spot and margin of error with it was very small. You could not take a break and have a beer with a guest or answer the phone, start over. BS has continuous control of a gas range all nite long, compared to a campfire, with very little heat sink value to prevent huge spikes up and down. Does not come close to a real brick/stone oven in the consistancy of pie after pie bake. The BS, or for that matter the 2Stone does. And Craig has both, a brick oven and the BS as do a few others here. Side by side, BS will beat out the KP every time, all nite long. Like I said, fun for the few months I had it,  MUCH more fun with the BS....and WAY more consistent pies. Of course I already had the Weber and still have it and love it, just not for pizza :-D

jon
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:32:31 AM by Jackitup »
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Grant64

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 08:06:40 AM »
I had one. Sold the ring to a guy in FL and kept the 2 stones for spares for the BS. There's one huge thing I hate about the BlackStone.....I did not here of it before buying the Kettle Pizza!! As Craig said "the Blackstone is better in every conceivable way - and by a very large margin". is actually an understatement!! I enjoyed the time I had with the KP but the sweet spot and margin of error with it was very small. You could not take a break and have a beer with a guest or answer the phone, start over. BS has continuous control of a gas range all nite long, compared to a campfire, with very little heat sink value to prevent huge spikes up and down. Does not come close to a real brick/stone oven in the consistancy of pie after pie bake. The BS, or for that matter the 2Stone does. And Craig has both, a brick oven and the BS as do a few others here. Side by side, BS will beat out the KP every time, all nite long. Like I said, fun for the few months I had it,  MUCH more fun with the BS....and WAY more consistent pies. Of course I already had the Weber and still have it and love it, just not for pizza :-D

jon

I won't continue to beat a dead horse, will just reiterate that the Serious Eats edition with baking steel is 180 degrees from a standard KP.  Results aren't even close to the same.  If you can find one used, I still think it's a great piece equipment.  That being said, the BS is easier and has a higher margin of error.  No question.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 09:49:22 AM »
The kettle pizza thermometer is just this side of useless measuring air temperature.  Where were the it readings, on the stone?  900 on a corderite stone just doesn't compute, that's why we are asking. 
-Jeff

Offline Grant64

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »
The kettle pizza thermometer is just this side of useless measuring air temperature.  Where were the it readings, on the stone?  900 on a corderite stone just doesn't compute, that's why we are asking.

Look, I know what it does and what it's capable of.  If that doesn't compute or if the KP isn't deemed a worthy alternative to the BS, then I can't help that.  Don't take my word for it:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/09/the-pizza-lab-we-test-kettle-pizza-and-baking-steels-new-joint-pizza-oven.html

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/06/pizza-lab-kettle-pizza-upgrade-short.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:23:55 AM by Grant64 »

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 12:16:22 PM »
I have no interest in an argument between the KP and black stone.  Have zero interest in either.  I know others do, sorry if my comments seem lumped with that conversation.

What I am interested in is the thermodynamics involved.  Your KP has a corderite stone with a relatively high thermal conductivity.  If the stone itself was at 900f and the pie was directly on it(not of a screen or pan) the bottom would be charcoal by a minute,  let alone 2 or 4.  Even on a low conductivity material the bottom would be toast by 3 minutes at 900f, and probably sooner.
-Jeff

Offline Grant64

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »
I have no interest in an argument between the KP and black stone.  Have zero interest in either.  I know others do, sorry if my comments seem lumped with that conversation.

What I am interested in is the thermodynamics involved.  Your KP has a corderite stone with a relatively high thermal conductivity.  If the stone itself was at 900f and the pie was directly on it(not of a screen or pan) the bottom would be charcoal by a minute,  let alone 2 or 4.  Even on a low conductivity material the bottom would be toast by 3 minutes at 900f, and probably sooner.

Gotcha, sorry if I lumped your comments in.  As you said, seems like there's a general disfavor to the KP on these forums.  I think that's unfortunate, because with the baking steel it's a great pizza oven and for $200 used, I love mine.  The original poster was asking for advice from people who have actually used one, so I wanted to chime in.  I also think it gets most of its bad reviews from people who have never used the Prograte and Baking Steel lid with it.

I may have mistyped/misspoke.  I did not mean the stone was 900 degrees, more that the area around/above the stone was 900 or so.  The actual stone tends to top out at 700-750. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:03:26 PM by Grant64 »

Offline janandpeen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 11:38:18 AM »
For me, the KP was a great gateway drug to a true wood fired  pizza oven... It's a good starter for a small investment and helps you get your throwing, turning and finishing skills down prior to taking on a $4k+ set up in your backyard or *garage

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 11:46:17 AM »
You're wasting your time here in this forum talking about the Kettle pizza, the audience here is decidedly against anything that breaks the current religious flavour of the month. I have one, I used it exclusively when we were in OZ,  and I have had stone temps of about 350- 400 deg C, and dome temps of about close to 600- 700 deg C. I have made credible pizze with the KP and cooked Neapolitan style in 65 secs. There's a video of this on youtube if you look for it. The KP works if you want it to, the one issue it has is fuel management and cooking time window. It gets to the right high temp in a relatively short window and is not able to sustain the temperature for prolonged periods as there is no insulation whatsoever. I have seen a version with an insulated dome and that would would better.
Now we are back in our own house we have access to our WFO and for indoors I have an EFFEUNO, so for me there is no need to make those mods, and between all that my KP does not get used though I still have it, and I still use the Kettle for other coal based cooking. When we were out in OZ and we had the Kettle, we made the most of it, and if you have one make the most of it too, never mind the Blackstone zealots, and stuff them - do what you want.

Offline jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 09:44:18 AM »
We just reviewed the Pizza Kettle with Prograte, not including the baking steel top. I also did a detailed complete log of temps and times, also used an accurate temp gun throughout the entire process. The Kettle Pizza FAR exceeded our expectations. Check out our stats, we even have a real time video of the very first 2:18 pie we baked. The max temp we achieved was floor at 1000 degrees and dome around 1100. Cooking range was around 800 floor. Wood fired, with some coal.

http://jimsgalley.blogspot.com/2015/07/real-authentic-wood-fired-neapolitan.html

We will post a lot more pictures in the near future, but there are several at the link above.

JB
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

pizzapan