Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 327883 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #1060 on: March 10, 2011, 12:20:39 AM »

20 PSI, 180K BTU...Boom, all good.

Agreed.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #1061 on: March 10, 2011, 07:05:31 AM »
I hear everyone about the SP-10 and am already leaning in that direction. Thanks.

But I'm trying to clarify exactly what is happening inside of the LBE during cooking.

My understanding from reading the posts is that the topside heat is the result of hot, moving air as it comes up, out from behind the back of the pizza stone/floor, hits the dome and is directed out of the grill through the front vent.

However, at Reply #1010 in this thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.msg128206.html#msg128206), Buceriasdon showed a picture of his LBE with the actual flames coming up out of the bottom half of the grill. I'm extremely curious if in this picture the flames are "shooting" this high because:

1. The grill top is removed and more oxygen is available to help the flame reach a higher intensity....meaning the flame will not reach this level during cooking?

2. The fact that Buceriasdon does have a higher psi regulator and the higher pressure is aiding this flame to reach this high, which may be the case in his LBE even with the lid on:

Kelly, Is you high pressure regulator adjustable or a fixed type? Mine is an expensive for here in Mexico made in the USA 0 to 60 lbs

Buceriasdon, what is occuring inside of your LBE when the lid is on?

Hypothetically, if one could in fact rig the LBE in such a fashion, either by using a higher psi regulator, introducing more oxygen to the equation and/or placement of the propane burner so that actual flames are coming up the backside of the floor and are licking the ceiling/dome, I would imagine that would create an environment where a 90-120 second pizza could be cooked in the LBE and with potentially more heat radiating down on the top of the pizza?...something I would be very much interested in.

Blah, blah.....just break out the hacksaw and start putting something together already! :)

Thanks. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

buceriasdon

« Reply #1062 on: March 11, 2011, 05:05:13 PM »
Kelly, Hi, Sorry I missed this post of yours. If you read my last posts as well of those of Mike and others, my regulator is cranked down only a couple of turns as these HP burners can only use up so much propane and if cranked farther the flame just blows away. In other words you can have TOO much pressure. You reach a point of diminishing returns. I can buy an even larger, burner but I doubt I will get any better bake times. Until I have access to flours that can actually do a subminute pie, which is doubtful unless I have it shipped here, I'm content with four minutes with barely passable AP flour. I believe in combination with the hot air rushing into the top part of the upper chamber heat is radiated off the top of the hearth. At first I had a steel plate under my tile but that only led to burnt bottoms. When I removed it I got much more even bakes. Trust me, like my kettle which is different, you will have to figure out the same balancing act for yours.
Don

I hear everyone about the SP-10 and am already leaning in that direction. Thanks.

But I'm trying to clarify exactly what is happening inside of the LBE during cooking.

My understanding from reading the posts is that the topside heat is the result of hot, moving air as it comes up, out from behind the back of the pizza stone/floor, hits the dome and is directed out of the grill through the front vent.

However, at Reply #1010 in this thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.msg128206.html#msg128206), Buceriasdon showed a picture of his LBE with the actual flames coming up out of the bottom half of the grill. I'm extremely curious if in this picture the flames are "shooting" this high because:

1. The grill top is removed and more oxygen is available to help the flame reach a higher intensity....meaning the flame will not reach this level during cooking?

2. The fact that Buceriasdon does have a higher psi regulator and the higher pressure is aiding this flame to reach this high, which may be the case in his LBE even with the lid on:

Buceriasdon, what is occuring inside of your LBE when the lid is on?

Hypothetically, if one could in fact rig the LBE in such a fashion, either by using a higher psi regulator, introducing more oxygen to the equation and/or placement of the propane burner so that actual flames are coming up the backside of the floor and are licking the ceiling/dome, I would imagine that would create an environment where a 90-120 second pizza could be cooked in the LBE and with potentially more heat radiating down on the top of the pizza?...something I would be very much interested in.

Blah, blah.....just break out the hacksaw and start putting something together already! :)

Thanks. --K

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1063 on: March 11, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
True dat 100%

Trust me, like my kettle which is different, you will have to figure out the same balancing act for yours.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

buceriasdon

« Reply #1064 on: March 15, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »
Very out of practice even if it did taste excellent, too much edge char. 750 degrees and Mexican AP flour just don't go well together. May have to do some fine tuning again to the LBE, sigh..... too much top heat it seems or just give up on that high of temps.
Don

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #1065 on: March 15, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »
Those are phenomenal, Don
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #1066 on: March 15, 2011, 09:56:10 PM »
Don that crumb looks great!  Nice work.

Chau

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #1067 on: March 22, 2011, 03:19:07 PM »
Saw these at Costco last night....$95 for a 100# propane tank. So much for portability, but bombs away with this puppy  :D

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

buceriasdon

« Reply #1068 on: March 22, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »
Kelly, Much better buy for sure.
Don

Saw these at Costco last night....$95 for a 100# propane tank. So much for portability, but bombs away with this puppy  :D

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1069 on: March 27, 2011, 08:00:36 PM »
Took the plunge today and made a Big LBE using a 22" Weber kettle grill that's been sitting in my backyard for about a decade.  Invested $25  in an angle grider to make my cuts and $50 for the Bayou Cooker (SP-10). I used unglazed tile for my flame deflector (on the charcoal grate) and baking deck.  I lined everything with foil and used the ash catcher to lower the lid. 

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #1070 on: March 27, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »
Wallman, great looking LBE, buddy. Now, the obsession begins!
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1071 on: March 27, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
First bake on the big LBE.  I preheated for about 22 minutes with the gas at between 1/3 and 1/2. The temp on the baking surface was between 700 and 730 F.  I used 2 different types of dough, the first was some store-bought dough for experimentation. I also made 2 pies using homemade Lehmann NY Style dough made with GM All Trumps Flour at about 64% hydration. Each pie was about 11-12 inches in diameter.

My initial thoughts, I need to figure out home to even out the temps between the baking surface and above the pizza. Iím getting fast bakes, all four pies were done in under 3 Ĺ minutes, but the rim and bottoms are getting over baked.  The last pie burned a fair amount due to release four burning on the tiles.  Still, the pizzas, especially the NY Style pies, were tasty with decent oven spring and crumb.

Any tips from the LBE pros out there on a better flame deflector setup? Iím thinking I might need to raise the tiles on the charcoal grate, the bottom tile (a Ĺ quarry tile) cracked.
Plus I need to figure out how to get more heat above the pizza. Do you guys think a bigger flame deflector would help? Or maybe less space between the baking surface and the lid?

Ron, you are right, this is going to become an obsession.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1072 on: March 27, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »
Here is the 4th pie. Too much char on the bottom  :P. Some of the sauce leaked through a tear, which didn't help. 

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #1073 on: March 27, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »
try a stainless steel bowl filled with sand (about 1/2 way to start) for the deflector.  Also, use foil to block all gaps in the front and sides of the hearth - only leaving opening in the rear - that way all the heat is forced to the rear and then over the pie and out the front.  This will help a lot.  Then you can experiment with lowering the ceiling more or raising the hearth if you need more top heat (I have realized I finally need to lower my ceiling some more after cooking on mine for more then 6 months)...those pies look good for your first attempts also!

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1074 on: March 27, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »
Gt, what size bowl do you suggest?  This LBE is from a 22" Weber.

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #1075 on: March 27, 2011, 11:42:10 PM »
I think the one I used was about 6 inches across

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1076 on: March 28, 2011, 12:31:59 AM »
Your setup looks pretty good. Someone correct me if I am wrong but, I dont think a straight All Trumps dough likes that much heat.  I have done AP flour at 750, but I have not seen good results of AT at higher temps without blending it with another flour... :)  Again, I love the setup, you have done your homework.  Good luck. :pizza:

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1077 on: March 28, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
Good point, I'll have to give my "00" flour a try. Or lower the heat, which seems almost sacrilegious!

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #1078 on: March 28, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
Good point, I'll have to give my "00" flour a try. Or lower the heat, which seems almost sacrilegious!

Yeah 00 can handle those temps. I haven't had good luck with ap or bf above 600. Too much char, as in charcoal. Not good.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

buceriasdon

« Reply #1079 on: March 28, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »
Another alternative is to raise the hydration level for AP flour.
Don

pizzapan