Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 348197 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #1900 on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »
Bob, I fixed the links, I think.  Try again.
Thank you
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline chaspie

« Reply #1901 on: March 25, 2013, 01:19:01 AM »
How much of an air gap is needed at the back of the grill opposite the vent on a 22.5 inch LBE?  Is 3.5 inches enough (i.e., the height of the circular segment)?  That would let me have a 19 inch diameter stone where I could land (in theory anyway) an 18 inch pizza.  If that's not enough of a gap, I won't sweat it.  A 17 inch pie would be fine too.  Actually, most of the time I'll probably be making 12 inch pies, but since I'm building a 22.5 inch LBE, I might as well make it capable of handling a true NY sized pie.

In a circle of 22 inches diameter, the area of the circular segment cut off by a secant with a height of 3.5 inches is 38.9, which is about 10% of the total area of the circle.  So the gap at the back of the grill would equal 10% of the total area, while the stone would occupy 90%.  Will that be sufficient airflow?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:23:42 AM by chaspie »

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #1902 on: March 25, 2013, 11:16:38 PM »
You will find building an LBE is not an undertaking requiring great precision, although it benefits from it.  There is a forgiving margin for error, as long as basic safety is observed.

Sounds like enough airflow area to me.  The tricky part is spreading it around.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #1903 on: March 25, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »
Yes, spreading the hot air around evenly to all parts of the pizza seems like the tricky part.

Most of the LBE configurations I recall from reading this (entire) thread are built to force all the heated air from the burner in the bottom of the kettle up through a single restricted opening at the back of the cooker opposite the vent in the lid.  The hot air follows one path through the cooker, up through the back channel and then over the pizza and out the vent.  The airflow mods that people put in the lid are intended to create turbulence in the air, mix it up, and throw it around and back down on the pizza to cook the cornicione and the top of the pizza evenly.   But there are hot spots and cool spots due, I suspect primarily, to the path of the air flow.  So the pie won't bake evenly because not all portions of it are getting the same amount of heat.  Most people still have to turn the pizza or the stone (lazy susan) to even out the cooking.   

I keep coming back to PizzaHead's design in this thread that you pointed out to me before:  GBE - German Black Egg - A mod of the famous LBE.  The vent is top dead center, and his stone is centered on the grate so that hot air can flow up evenly from all around the pizza.  It seemed like he didn't have to turn his pizzas as much as people who configure their LBE with the hot air flowing only from the restricted back port to the front vent.  It's a bit more trouble to build the top center vent configuration, but I'm wondering if it might not be easier to tune it in the long run. 

I've cleaned up my kettle and cut the bottom out of it.  I'm holding off on cutting the lid vent and welding in some steel plate supports until I decide on the air flow. 

Offline moose13

« Reply #1904 on: March 29, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »
Hey guys, great post that seems to never end.
I ordered a 22" weber and the bayou burner today. I got to looking into stones and tiles and was ready to order a box of these tiles from HD. 12x12x3/4 unglazed tiles right? Is this what i need? I live 100 miles from the closest Home Depot so i am ordering everything to make the LBE. These would be nice as they are about 4 bucks a piece. Thanks for any suggestions on what to use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202627197?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202627197&R=202627197#.UVZfEr96NTA

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1905 on: March 29, 2013, 11:54:08 PM »
Hey guys, great post that seems to never end.
I ordered a 22" weber and the bayou burner today. I got to looking into stones and tiles and was ready to order a box of these tiles from HD. 12x12x3/4 unglazed tiles right? Is this what i need? I live 100 miles from the closest Home Depot so i am ordering everything to make the LBE. These would be nice as they are about 4 bucks a piece. Thanks for any suggestions on what to use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202627197?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202627197&R=202627197#.UVZfEr96NTA
Moose,
Those tiles will not bring you happy clouds of pizza joy.  :)
I believe you may want to look into these my pizza pal....http://www.axner.com/cordierite-kiln-shelves.aspx

Bob

Offline moose13

« Reply #1906 on: March 30, 2013, 12:17:11 AM »
thanks! I am sure i will be back with more questions.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1907 on: March 30, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »
thanks! I am sure i will be back with more questions.
you're welcome..I hope you will come back to see us...and often.  :)

Offline moose13

« Reply #1908 on: March 30, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
I have some 1/4" plate, yeah or nay?

Offline scott123

« Reply #1909 on: March 30, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »
I have some 1/4" plate, yeah or nay?

As a deflector below the hearth, to help channel heat away from the stone and up towards the ceiling, yes.

As a ceiling, absolutely, as long as it fits in the lid  (or replaces in the lid), in such a manner that the hot air is forced out the vent and not up past the ceiling.

As a hearth, no. Bottom heat scenarios tend to make for very hot hearths. You want to slow down the transfer rate on the hearth with a low conductivity material, not speed it up with a high conductivity one.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #1910 on: March 30, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »
What size is your quarter inch plate, moose?  If it's big enough to fit into the lid of 22.5 inch Weber, it'll be heavy. 

I'm planning to use a quarter inch thick plate as a deflector below the hearth.  I've ordered it, and it should be ready for me to pick up some time next week.

Offline BrooklynPie

« Reply #1911 on: March 30, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »
I just registered because I wanted to share my experience ordering a 21 inch kiln shelf from Axner.  It arrived in many pieces having been packed in a box no bigger than the shelf.  The shelf goes right up to the edges of the box.  To their credit, Axner is taking care of filing the claim with UPS.  But they state that there is no way of packing them so that they get through in one piece.  This is of course ridiculous.  Axner offered to send out another one but said "it will probably arrive broken too."  Their price is significantly better than I've been able to find elsewhere.  I think I may just have to bite the bullet and buy the same thing from californiapizzastones.  Shipping these things is their whole business so I expect they've got it figured out.

The claim is still pending but I don't expect to be out any money from this.  But you might want to rethink ordering a kiln shelf from Axner if you don't have weeks to let them try try again.

Offline moose13

« Reply #1912 on: March 30, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »
What size is your quarter inch plate, moose?  If it's big enough to fit into the lid of 22.5 inch Weber, it'll be heavy. 

I'm planning to use a quarter inch thick plate as a deflector below the hearth.  I've ordered it, and it should be ready for me to pick up some time next week.

My dad has a welding shop, so i can cut about any size i need. So if i did a steel shelf for a stone of some sort to sit on and a steel plate set low in the lid would beva good combo?

Thanks Scott, makes sense.

Brooklyn pie, i have looked into the kiln shelves that Chicago bob suggested and looks to be a good option, sucks it arrived broken.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1913 on: March 30, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »
I just registered because I wanted to share my experience ordering a 21 inch kiln shelf from Axner.  It arrived in many pieces having been packed in a box no bigger than the shelf.  The shelf goes right up to the edges of the box.  To their credit, Axner is taking care of filing the claim with UPS.  But they state that there is no way of packing them so that they get through in one piece.  This is of course ridiculous.  Axner offered to send out another one but said "it will probably arrive broken too."  Their price is significantly better than I've been able to find elsewhere.  I think I may just have to bite the bullet and buy the same thing from californiapizzastones.  Shipping these things is their whole business so I expect they've got it figured out.

The claim is still pending but I don't expect to be out any money from this.  But you might want to rethink ordering a kiln shelf from Axner if you don't have weeks to let them try try again.
Well that all sounds like a big bummer!   I had 2 of the big ones shipped to me from them in the same carton and there was enough bubble wrap on them to make even "The Boy in the Bubble" proud. I mean, you could probably throw that thing on the ground and not break them.... ???

Offline BrooklynPie

« Reply #1914 on: March 30, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
Hey Chicago Bob,

The folks at Laguna Clay(Axner) told me that 95% of the shelves they ship arrive broken! Pretty funny, huh?  Your positive experience makes me think I should try again though.  It really is so much cheaper to source from them.  Thanks.

-Peter

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1915 on: March 30, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »
FWIW...I bought, and had shipped an 18x18x1 kiln shelf from Axner. No probs with that order or delivery.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1916 on: March 30, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
Hey Chicago Bob,

The folks at Laguna Clay(Axner) told me that 95% of the shelves they ship arrive broken! Pretty funny, huh?  Your positive experience makes me think I should try again though.  It really is so much cheaper to source from them.  Thanks.

-Peter
Thank you for this info Peter.  ;)
I think it all sounds pretty funny all right. And for those people to freely admit to you that ordering from them is pretty much "a bust".....well, it's really sad man and now makes me think twice about recommending them to others like I have in the past. Dang!  >:(
I don't want to see any of our members have to go through Drama Town jus for a good stone. What a shame...

Bob

Offline scott123

« Reply #1917 on: March 30, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »
What a shame...

Bob, forum members have been ordering from Axner for years.  This is the first reported issue.  I wouldn't ignore it, but, at the same time, it doesn't erase a very long track record of properly packaged stones. Unless this happens again, I'm considering it to be just an outlier.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #1918 on: March 30, 2013, 10:30:53 PM »
My dad has a welding shop, so i can cut about any size i need. So if i did a steel shelf for a stone of some sort to sit on and a steel plate set low in the lid would beva good combo?

I am still in the planning and early building phase of my LBE, so I can't say if the steel plate in the lid would work.  It sounds like it would, but please don't assume I know what I'm talking about.  If I was going to do that, I'd go with 16 gauge or even thinner metal.  Maybe 22 gauge, to make the lid as light as possible. 

As I was reading this thread (yes, I read the whole thing), it seemed that few people tried a totally flat low featureless ceiling in their lids.  Most incorporated some sort of baffle or airfoil to break up and redirect airflow to the top of the pizza so the hot air doesn't just rush out the side vent. 

I'm planning on going with a top centered exhaust rather than a side exhaust (vent) initially, so I'm not going to put any metal or stone inside the lid until I see how it does without it.  If I need to lower the ceiling, I'll still have an opening in the center for the exhaust.

Offline moose13

« Reply #1919 on: March 31, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »
I however did not read the whole thread, bits and pieces for sure. Probably 50% over a few visits. I think its something you start with the basic design and tweak where necessary. It will be a fun project. I will post some pics as i go and probably ask a lot of questions.