Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 343998 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #2020 on: June 22, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »
Scott thanks for the info. I have an aluminum pan for my reflector but it's too small. It has not melted though but I only got as high as about 725 F I think, well that's the temp of the stone but I don't have a temp gauge for the air temp.  I need to get a bigger deflector, whether aluminum or stainless steel.  Aluminum as you know is much easier to find and less expensive but if steel is better I should be on the look out for one.  I need to bend it kind of like some of the ones I see here that people post pics of. Wonder if bending steel would be hard even if they are kinda thin. 

Thanks.

Offline iamrook85

« Reply #2021 on: June 26, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »

Thanks Toddster.  Yip!  5.5min.  Stone measured 600deg when I put the first one in...I baked another 2 tonight but reduced the amount of time between when I took out of the fridge and bake and Im starting to get what I picture.  Again not there yet. I wanna git away for the larger bubbles.  I like the lighter one with the small bubble charring....2nd pic down..Hmmmm!

Rob, your pizzas look really great. Nice leoparding.  I am wondering what you, Toddster, and any other of you guys are using as propane flame deflectors and what you have found to be the best?  Toddster, if you remember a while back I was using 6" quarry tiles down low to block the flame but I am having the same issue as you where the center of the stone is much cooler than the outside of the stone.  Once you mentioned putting the stone on a steel tray, is that still what you recommend or what is everyone finding the most successful flame deflector setup is?  Thanks!

Also Rob, you mention reducing the amount of time between taking the dough out of the fridge and baking it.  What seems to be the best amount of time to have the dough out of the fridge before baking for you?

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #2022 on: June 29, 2013, 08:51:02 AM »
I've been following this thread for years, never able to justify the cost of the parts...  until now.  I have a couple pieces on order, and am ready to start constructing my LBE, but I'd like to run a couple design areas past the collective intelligence here.

My plan is to start with a 22" grill, attach this Bayou Classic burner to the bottom, cut a 1/8" steel plate to fit inside at the grill level, with the exception of an open area in the back.  I'll put this Lazy Susan Bearing Turntable on top of the metal plate, and finally this 19" kiln shelf on top of the turntable.

Edit: I might rethink that particular kiln shelf.  Shipping is about 2/3 the cost of the stone itself.

Of course, I'll cut an appropriate opening in the front of the grill cover.  I'm still a little confused about the design of the overhead director.  Photos are so two-dimensional.  It's difficult to see the shape of something.

This plan attempts to reflect a lot of the improvements that have been successful over the years.  If anyone sees anything I'm doing horribly wrong, please stop me before I hurt myself.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:13:16 AM by enchant »
--pat--

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2023 on: June 29, 2013, 10:39:58 AM »
The only problem I see is with the lazy susan turntable. It's zinc plated and at the temperatures you will be reaching, there's sure to be toxic substances released into the dome and onto your pizza. Also, it doesn't say if the bearing are lubricated with some type of grease or not. Even if they are, I doubt it will be with a high temperature type (575F+). I'd re-think that part of the plan. Hope this helps and take care

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline enchant

« Reply #2024 on: June 29, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »
The bearings on the turntable come ungreased.  For the zinc to emit any toxic fumes, I'd have to bring the temperature up well over 1600 degrees, which is definitely not in the plans.
--pat--

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #2025 on: June 29, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »
The bearings on the turntable come ungreased.  For the zinc to emit any toxic fumes, I'd have to bring the temperature up well over 1600 degrees, which is definitely not in the plans.

100% agree. The zinc plated lazy susan I have been using has no lubrication. Just stainless steel bearings.  The zinc will never be vaporized at the temps used.  I have mine sandwiched between a 13" kiln shelf and a 19" kiln shelf. Until that zinc vaporizes (at over 1600F), its not going into my pizza. As long as it's not in contact with food, you are good to go.

http://www.theodoregray.com/periodictable/ZincSafety.html

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2026 on: June 29, 2013, 12:12:04 PM »
The zinc will never be vaporized at the temps used.  I have mine sandwiched between a 13" kiln shelf and a 19" kiln shelf. Until that zinc vaporizes (at over 1600F), its not going into my pizza. As long as it's not in contact with food, you are good to go.

That's good to know. Maybe I was thinking about galvanized metal. Thanks and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2027 on: June 29, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
It seems like a very reasonable design, enchant.  I decided to use 1/4 inch thick steel plate because I was afraid the 1/8th inch thick plate might warp from the high heat, but I really have no idea how likely that is. 

The overhead air deflector in the lid should accomplish two objectives, as I understand it.  It should lower the dome height so it is close to the top of the pizza, and it should create turbulence in the air stream so the heated air is deflected down onto the center of the pizza, which tends to cook much more slowly than the edges.

Some people have also mounted a stone in the lid to help radiate heat down onto the center of the pizza, but I haven't been able to assess how effective that has been based on the reports in this thread.  I decided not to do that because it adds weight to the lid, and having to remove and replace a very hot heavy lid in order to turn the pizza didn't appeal to me.  Since you are using a turntable and won't have to remove the lid to turn the pizza, that might not be a concern for you.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:15:12 PM by chaspie »

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2028 on: June 29, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
One of the biggest balancing issues with these LBEs is evening out the heat from edge to center of the pizza.  The edges of the stone tends to get somewhat hotter than the center, and the center of the pizza lags significantly behind the edges when cooking. 

With that in mind, I wonder if the Lazy Susan Bearing Turntable  might exacerbate the heat differential problem by blocking hot air circulation between your steel plate and your stone.  There doesn't appear to be much of a gap around the edges of the lazy susan to allow for good air flow.

Offline enchant

« Reply #2029 on: June 29, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
With that in mind, I wonder if the Lazy Susan Bearing Turntable  might exacerbate the heat differential problem by blocking hot air circulation between your steel plate and your stone.

That's an interesting thought.  Fortunately, at $14, I won't grit my teeth if the turntable turns out to be a failed experiment.  MrP seems to have had good luck with it, so I think it's worth a try.  And if it means I have to make more test pizzas in the interest of science, it's my cross to bear.
--pat--

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2030 on: June 29, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
That's an interesting thought.  Fortunately, at $14, I won't grit my teeth if the turntable turns out to be a failed experiment.  MrP seems to have had good luck with it, so I think it's worth a try.  And if it means I have to make more test pizzas in the interest of science, it's my cross to bear.
Right on my brother!   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Scruffy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2031 on: June 30, 2013, 10:09:41 AM »
Hi all,

Built a Little Black (Red ) Egg.

Basically followed the standard form, except I enlarged the opening in the lid so I can leave the lid while loading, unloading, and turning the pizza.
It works fairly well. I've had three sessions with it so far. Sorry only pictures of the last session.

The first time I made three small pizzas, approximately 9 inches in diameter. I do not have a IF thermometer as of yet so I don't know the temps at the stone. My grill thermometer goes to 550 and it was way past that, so maybe above 700? The pizzas came out great, leopard spots on top crust, the bottom charred a little more than I wanted, but not too bad.

The second session I attempted a 14 inch diameter pizza and screwed the pooch somehow, the middle stuck to the stone and fell apart when I attempted to turn the pizza.
I was a little rushed for time also, so I may not have allowed enough warm up time.

The third session I again attempted a 14 inch diameter pizza. This one was more successful.

I need a good IF thermometer, any suggestions?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 09:51:36 PM by Scruffy »

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2032 on: June 30, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
Hi Gang,
Well did another experiment bake with a few changes.  Just one change and what difference.  Getting close to the pie I visualize.  What is awesome is the amount of pies I have to bake till I finally git to my goal.  For some reason I have no problem with this adventure.  Yum!   ;D   Ha!
Cheers for now.
RC
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:29:38 AM by robcurtis2 »

Offline enchant

« Reply #2033 on: June 30, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
Don't keep us in suspenders.  What was the change??
--pat--

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2034 on: June 30, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
Doughhhp!  Apologize for the suspenders.   I forgot to mention that I had changed flours from KABF to a mix Caputo and Guisto Flour that I was able to find at our local coop.  Percentages of each were as JT mentions in his thread. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13036.0.html

Still wanna work on the mix and look at cold ferment time ect.  UGH! So much to work on.  One thing at a time though.  Ha! Im thinking I need to crank the hearth temp up a bit from 600 deg. 
Cheers fer now,
RC
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:03:31 PM by robcurtis2 »

Offline enchant

« Reply #2035 on: June 30, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
I'm so jealous and anxious to get going on mine.  This afternoon, I'm meeting with my professional sheet metal worker (slash) drinking buddy to go over the battle plan.
--pat--

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2036 on: June 30, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
Hi Yall,
Couple of questions:

Im thinking about dropping my LBE closer to the burner by cutting slots such as JT did with his MBE.  Anyone already do this?  Can you direct me with a link?

Also,

I would like to hear from those who have cooked more than 2 pies at a time.  Such as like around 10-15 pies.  Wanting to hear about your process....are you keeping the lbe on full during the full 15 pies, do you turn it down between, ect.  Any links on throwing a pizza party?  Ha!
Cheers fer now,
RC

Offline Scruffy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2037 on: June 30, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
Here is a few more pics of my Little Red Egg

see above post for others.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:42:21 PM by Scruffy »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2038 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »

I would like to hear from those who have cooked more than 2 pies at a time.  Such as like around 10-15 pies.  Wanting to hear about your process....are you keeping the lbe on full during the full 15 pies, do you turn it down between, ect.
RC

No don't keep the burner on full or the stone will get too hot.  Turn the in line regulator down between bakes.  You'll have to play around with how much and take temps until it becomes 2nd nature.  Your pie is looking good.  I wouldn't changed too much about the setup just yet.  Enjoy the pies for a while and then make changes when you are ready for something new.

Chau

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2039 on: July 03, 2013, 01:06:37 AM »
I've been doing it the other way around.  I turn the burner on high, get the stone up to temp, then I drop the burner down to about medium for baking.  When I take the pie off, I turn the burner back up to high to reheat to the target stone temp for the next pie.  If my stone gets up to temp and I'm not ready to start the next pizza, I back off the heat until I'm ready.  Seems to work OK for me.

pizzapan