Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 410248 times)

Offline MrP

• One more slice
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #2025 on: June 29, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »
The bearings on the turntable come ungreased.  For the zinc to emit any toxic fumes, I'd have to bring the temperature up well over 1600 degrees, which is definitely not in the plans.

100% agree. The zinc plated lazy susan I have been using has no lubrication. Just stainless steel bearings.  The zinc will never be vaporized at the temps used.  I have mine sandwiched between a 13" kiln shelf and a 19" kiln shelf. Until that zinc vaporizes (at over 1600F), its not going into my pizza. As long as it's not in contact with food, you are good to go.

http://www.theodoregray.com/periodictable/ZincSafety.html

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2026 on: June 29, 2013, 12:12:04 PM »
The zinc will never be vaporized at the temps used.  I have mine sandwiched between a 13" kiln shelf and a 19" kiln shelf. Until that zinc vaporizes (at over 1600F), its not going into my pizza. As long as it's not in contact with food, you are good to go.

That's good to know. Maybe I was thinking about galvanized metal. Thanks and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2027 on: June 29, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
It seems like a very reasonable design, enchant.  I decided to use 1/4 inch thick steel plate because I was afraid the 1/8th inch thick plate might warp from the high heat, but I really have no idea how likely that is. 

The overhead air deflector in the lid should accomplish two objectives, as I understand it.  It should lower the dome height so it is close to the top of the pizza, and it should create turbulence in the air stream so the heated air is deflected down onto the center of the pizza, which tends to cook much more slowly than the edges.

Some people have also mounted a stone in the lid to help radiate heat down onto the center of the pizza, but I haven't been able to assess how effective that has been based on the reports in this thread.  I decided not to do that because it adds weight to the lid, and having to remove and replace a very hot heavy lid in order to turn the pizza didn't appeal to me.  Since you are using a turntable and won't have to remove the lid to turn the pizza, that might not be a concern for you.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:15:12 PM by chaspie »

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2028 on: June 29, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
One of the biggest balancing issues with these LBEs is evening out the heat from edge to center of the pizza.  The edges of the stone tends to get somewhat hotter than the center, and the center of the pizza lags significantly behind the edges when cooking. 

With that in mind, I wonder if the Lazy Susan Bearing Turntable  might exacerbate the heat differential problem by blocking hot air circulation between your steel plate and your stone.  There doesn't appear to be much of a gap around the edges of the lazy susan to allow for good air flow.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #2029 on: June 29, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
With that in mind, I wonder if the Lazy Susan Bearing Turntable  might exacerbate the heat differential problem by blocking hot air circulation between your steel plate and your stone.
That's an interesting thought.  Fortunately, at $14, I won't grit my teeth if the turntable turns out to be a failed experiment.  MrP seems to have had good luck with it, so I think it's worth a try.  And if it means I have to make more test pizzas in the interest of science, it's my cross to bear.
--pat--

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2030 on: June 29, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
That's an interesting thought.  Fortunately, at $14, I won't grit my teeth if the turntable turns out to be a failed experiment.  MrP seems to have had good luck with it, so I think it's worth a try.  And if it means I have to make more test pizzas in the interest of science, it's my cross to bear.
Right on my brother!   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Scruffy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2031 on: June 30, 2013, 10:09:41 AM »
Hi all,

Built a Little Black (Red ) Egg.

Basically followed the standard form, except I enlarged the opening in the lid so I can leave the lid while loading, unloading, and turning the pizza.
It works fairly well. I've had three sessions with it so far. Sorry only pictures of the last session.

The first time I made three small pizzas, approximately 9 inches in diameter. I do not have a IF thermometer as of yet so I don't know the temps at the stone. My grill thermometer goes to 550 and it was way past that, so maybe above 700? The pizzas came out great, leopard spots on top crust, the bottom charred a little more than I wanted, but not too bad.

The second session I attempted a 14 inch diameter pizza and screwed the pooch somehow, the middle stuck to the stone and fell apart when I attempted to turn the pizza.
I was a little rushed for time also, so I may not have allowed enough warm up time.

The third session I again attempted a 14 inch diameter pizza. This one was more successful.

I need a good IF thermometer, any suggestions?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 09:51:36 PM by Scruffy »

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2032 on: June 30, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
Hi Gang,
Well did another experiment bake with a few changes.  Just one change and what difference.  Getting close to the pie I visualize.  What is awesome is the amount of pies I have to bake till I finally git to my goal.  For some reason I have no problem with this adventure.  Yum!   ;D   Ha!
Cheers for now.
RC
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:29:38 AM by robcurtis2 »

Offline enchant

« Reply #2033 on: June 30, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
Don't keep us in suspenders.  What was the change??
--pat--

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2034 on: June 30, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
Doughhhp!  Apologize for the suspenders.   I forgot to mention that I had changed flours from KABF to a mix Caputo and Guisto Flour that I was able to find at our local coop.  Percentages of each were as JT mentions in his thread. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13036.0.html

Still wanna work on the mix and look at cold ferment time ect.  UGH! So much to work on.  One thing at a time though.  Ha! Im thinking I need to crank the hearth temp up a bit from 600 deg. 
Cheers fer now,
RC
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:03:31 PM by robcurtis2 »

Offline enchant

« Reply #2035 on: June 30, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
I'm so jealous and anxious to get going on mine.  This afternoon, I'm meeting with my professional sheet metal worker (slash) drinking buddy to go over the battle plan.
--pat--

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2036 on: June 30, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
Hi Yall,
Couple of questions:

Im thinking about dropping my LBE closer to the burner by cutting slots such as JT did with his MBE.  Anyone already do this?  Can you direct me with a link?

Also,

I would like to hear from those who have cooked more than 2 pies at a time.  Such as like around 10-15 pies.  Wanting to hear about your process....are you keeping the lbe on full during the full 15 pies, do you turn it down between, ect.  Any links on throwing a pizza party?  Ha!
Cheers fer now,
RC

Offline Scruffy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2037 on: June 30, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
Here is a few more pics of my Little Red Egg

see above post for others.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:42:21 PM by Scruffy »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2038 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »

I would like to hear from those who have cooked more than 2 pies at a time.  Such as like around 10-15 pies.  Wanting to hear about your process....are you keeping the lbe on full during the full 15 pies, do you turn it down between, ect.
RC

No don't keep the burner on full or the stone will get too hot.  Turn the in line regulator down between bakes.  You'll have to play around with how much and take temps until it becomes 2nd nature.  Your pie is looking good.  I wouldn't changed too much about the setup just yet.  Enjoy the pies for a while and then make changes when you are ready for something new.

Chau

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2039 on: July 03, 2013, 01:06:37 AM »
I've been doing it the other way around.  I turn the burner on high, get the stone up to temp, then I drop the burner down to about medium for baking.  When I take the pie off, I turn the burner back up to high to reheat to the target stone temp for the next pie.  If my stone gets up to temp and I'm not ready to start the next pizza, I back off the heat until I'm ready.  Seems to work OK for me.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2040 on: July 03, 2013, 01:18:00 AM »
I've been doing it the other way around.  I turn the burner on high, get the stone up to temp, then I drop the burner down to about medium for baking.  When I take the pie off, I turn the burner back up to high to reheat to the target stone temp for the next pie.  If my stone gets up to temp and I'm not ready to start the next pizza, I back off the heat until I'm ready.  Seems to work OK for me.

our setups must be very different.   :D

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2041 on: July 03, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
My build is depicted just a couple of pages back, Jackie, post # 2013.  I'm using natural gas and a 23 jet burner instead of the more common propane setup, but otherwise it is conventional.

I don't have many bakes on it yet, so what is more likely is that I simply don't know what I'm doing.  If I leave the burner on full blast during the bake, the pizza burns on the edges and only partially cooks in the middle.  I've just modified the ceiling in the lid a bit to try to create some turbulence in the air flow, but haven't had time to test it yet.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2042 on: July 03, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »
Chaspie, that might be the difference I am not sure.  You are using a NG setup where as most members are using a LP setup.  There maybe a large difference in the pressure.   I think Robcurtis is using a LP set up, so my advice to him is to turn down the burner between bakes. 

I took a look at your setup and it looks fine.  But considering it is a NG setup and you are having issues with the bottom center of the pie browning, you should remove the grill rack between your bottom steel plate and your stone.   That grill rack is creating an air gap that is hindering/limiting your bottoms from browning.  Your edges may get darker, so you will have to turn more often or decrease the heat just a tad.  Something to try.

Chau

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2043 on: July 03, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »
That's a good suggestion.  Perhaps removing the rack and getting direct contact between the stone and the steel plate will even out the heat levels across the stone.  I'll add that to my future test scenarios.  Thanks!

Offline SlideSF

« Reply #2044 on: July 06, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »
I'm new to posting here, but I have been on the forum for a few years now.  I built my LBE about two years ago and have used it  about 20 times.  I modified it by putting a second stone in the lid, which helps to even out the cooking considerably.  I generally like to cook around 725F.  Over time the grill surface has started to warp from the heat, causing the stone to wobble some.  No problem now, but I will probably have to replace it before summer's end.  Here are a few shots...

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2045 on: July 06, 2013, 07:02:45 PM »
Very nice looking pie, SlideSF.  It looks like your pizza cooked evenly all the way across.  Do you attribute that to having the stone in the lid to radiate heat from above?

Mine do not cook evenly.  The center of my pizzas are less cooked than the edges.  I'm wondering if mounting a stone in the lid might help.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:04:43 PM by chaspie »

Offline SlideSF

« Reply #2046 on: July 06, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »
I think the stone in the lid helps even out the top/bottom cooking ratio.  The pictures of the pizzas here were actually cooked prior to the inclusion of the top stone.  They are coming out much more evenly now.

However, there is a big temperature delta on different sides of the stone.  I try not to open the lid much while cooking, in order to maintain heat from above.  But I do turn the window 120 degrees, or 1/3 of a circle around each minute.  These pizzas take approx. 3 minutes (at 725F) to cook, and 1/3 turn each minute helps to assure a more even burn.  The more pies I cook, the more I can gauge where the hot spots are and adjust accordingly.  Sometimes I will lift the lid and rotate the whole pizza.

This Friday I am going to try and make 20 pies for a party (with a little help).  So far the most I have done was 10, and that was a feat in itself!

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2047 on: July 07, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Twenty pizzas in an LBE is ambitious, indeed.  Good luck on the party.  Post some pics afterwards.

Offline SlideSF

« Reply #2048 on: July 08, 2013, 02:17:51 AM »
Well, since there will be many hungry mouths to feed, and I have a helper, it will probably be more like a dozen from the LBE, and the rest in my home oven on a pizza steel.  I will try to get pictures if I'm not caught up in the moment!

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2049 on: July 08, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »
You will have to delegate that task to someone you trust to remember they have a job.  Find a kid who really wants $10.   ;D

You should do a trial run with your helper before the big event, just to figure out who does what.  Getting your procedure tangled up when the flour is flying and hungry kids are watching...
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

pizzapan