Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 355597 times)

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #2080 on: August 06, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
Happy clouds of cheese.   8)
Yes, please
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline moose13

« Reply #2081 on: August 06, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »
That last pie pic almost looks as if Bob Ross was painting a pie!! :-D :-D

jon

haha, The lost episode!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:59:46 PM by moose13 »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2082 on: August 06, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »
OUTSTANDING!!! :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2083 on: August 07, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »
Dude... you should make that your avatar.  That's inspired.   ;D
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #2084 on: August 07, 2013, 12:31:13 PM »
I remember that episode. Ha! Ha! That is great!

Offline BeerdedOne

• La pizza una storia d'amore passionale!
« Reply #2085 on: August 11, 2013, 01:42:21 AM »
These pics are the result of my first bake with my 18" LBE.  This pie was cooked in 2:30, with a hearth temp of 640F. 

Overall, I'm pretty happy with these results.  The pie was tender and tasty, and cooked pretty evenly (I did have to rotate about 3-4 times).  Of course there is plenty of room for inprovement, but I'm happy to say the LBE works as planned!

The pie: pickled cherry bomb peppers, sopressata, dry mozz, shaved parm, olive oil, sea salt

The pics:

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2086 on: August 11, 2013, 02:55:54 AM »
Them cherry peppers look awesome....nice pie!!!!
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2087 on: August 11, 2013, 10:05:06 AM »
JP,
First bake....Mission Accomplished!!  Beautiful pie straight outta the gate man, congratulations.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2088 on: August 11, 2013, 05:23:10 PM »
Thanks guys, I should clarify that I've been baking in a modified home oven for some time, so the LBE is not a huge adjustment in technique for me. 

I owe all of the LBE posters here a big THANK YOU for making this process relatively painless for me.  I based my build on Villa Roma's original design (obviously) and the great mods / recommendations of other LBE builders like boatman, scott123, chau, toddster, enchant, etc.

Here are the build specs and a few pics, which are pretty basic, following the KISS principal:

Lid:
"standard" 8.5" front (lid) cutout
16" alu pizza coupe in lid, to lower ceiling height (I did something a bit different then most and placed the coupe in such way that the tallest part of the ceiling is in front, by the air outlet and the lowest portion of the ceiling is in the back, to accelerate the airflow)
deflector made from 14" alu pizza tray

Kettle:
18.5" weber with 11" round burner cut-out
reinforced deck supported with 3/4" flat steel bar, mounted vertically so that pizza stone sits even with the lip of the kettle
steel charcoal grate for 22.5" weber
3/8 in. steel diffuser on top of the charcoal grate, cut to fit around stone
16" old stone oven pizza stone (w/feet, to keep it off the steel diffuser)

Pros:
stone is heated very evenly due to thickness of metal deflector
airflow over the pizza easily achieves cornichone browning / cooks top of pizza - I actually had to turn the burner down a bit to avoid burning the pizza top , once the fuel mix was adjusted properly, pizza top and bottom seemed to cook uniformly, no problems with burning the bottom of the pie- probably due to thickness of the deflector

Cons:
20 minute heat up time to get deck to 650F
could not push deck beyond 650-660 or so with current burner set-up - hopefully with some tweaking I can get to 700-750 though I may not need it
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:32:40 PM by BeerdedOne »

scott123

« Reply #2089 on: August 11, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
JP, beautiful pie, beautiful setup. The manner in which you cut the steel plate is especially impressive.

Let me guess, you're not using Caputo 00 flour, right?

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2090 on: August 12, 2013, 12:31:51 AM »
scott123,

No caputo flour yet, it's hard to come by where I am at for any reasonable price.  I am planning on ordering some from fgpizza and trying a 70/30 or so mix of 00/HG, any tips for being successful with the caputo?

This pie was baked with KAAP, 65% hydration, 2.7% salt.. hand mixed, autolyse, 4 sets of 'tartine' folds, RT bulk for a few hours then ball & cold ferment overnight, then another 5 hours or so at RT before opening the skins.  Since I have to wait on the Caputo I think I'll try the same recipe with a young leaven next instead of the CY I used last time.. 

scott123

« Reply #2091 on: August 12, 2013, 03:09:38 PM »
JP, while you'll find different opinions on this, I don't think Caputo performs well at 2:30. Unless you can hit 90 seconds, I would stick with the KAAP.

Btw, how many minutes pre-heat have you given it? With the 3/8" plate and steel bar that you're using for support, you're talking a lot of thermal mass. You might need as much as an hour pre-heat to see the kinds of temps you need for NP.

Also, what burner are you using and how many BTUs is is rated for?  Have you ruled out any regulator and/or safety valve issues?

Offline parallei

« Reply #2092 on: August 12, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »
Lovely pies BeeredOne.

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2093 on: August 12, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »
Parallei, thanks!

Scott123- funny story- the Bayou Classic arrived from Amazon malfunctioning- this is not a high quality piece of equipment imo!  So, at the last minute I had to improvise with my thai wok burner- it runs like a champ and is rated at 100k BTU.  After the bake was over I took apart the *brand new* bayou classic burner head and found it 3/4 full of black slag material.  I cleaned it out and it should work as designed now!

The work burner does not have as much wind shielding as the Bayou Classic, and it was a bit breezy, so that may have contributed to the max heat issue. However, I suspect the 3/8 in. thick metal is playing a big role- the outside surface of the grill below the plate was definitely over 700F after 20min.  I originally wanted 1/8in. but the only reasonably sourced plate I could have cut was 3/8 so that is what I got. 

I was able to cook another pizza at 2:00 flat with the wok burner so we are getting there.  Caputo is on the way, and I will test with the bayou classic next and see what happens.  Is 70/30 a good proportion 00:HG?  What is the advantage of blending these two flours? It seems to be a popular formula on the LBE.

EDIT: I found the answer to my question in a very good discussion in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17555.0
I had forgotten the chemistry discussion from the filosofia thread.. I've never actually worked with a 00 flour, other than the somewhat similar stuff that is used for steaming Bao.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:59:13 PM by BeerdedOne »

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2094 on: August 14, 2013, 09:45:24 PM »
Today I had my first bake using the Bayou Classic as my burner.  The heat characteristics of the oven were strikingly different then when using my wok burner.  I had no trouble getting the stone up to 725F, it took about 20-25 minutes.  That was with the burner at only 1/2+ power.  I think 800F is achievable with the steel plate setup I am using.  This was quite a bit different than cooking at 650F because the pizzas cooked in under 2:00 minutes (about 110-115 sec)! 

Though I managed to still make some delicious pizzas. the fresh mozz pie could have used a little more top heat to get that cheese melted a bit further.  This is probably also due to the poor quality of the fresh mozz I am currently finding available in my area.  I had been using the Fattorie Garofalo Bufala Mozz, which is far superior product that is much softer, and melts (and tastes!) much better than the Bel Gioioso that I'm using now.  Costco, my source for the Bufala mozz, has apparently stopped carrying this product.  Does anyone know of a better fresh mozzerella product that might be available on the west coast?

Soon I will have some 00 flour to experiment with at these higher temps.  I am hoping that the Caputo / HG mixture will make a better pie at these temps, otherwise I can always go back to KAAP and lower my temps.

Pie #1: dry mozz, shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, Castelvetrano olives, sliced Brandywine heirloom tomatoes, olive oil, sea salt

Pie #2: fresh mozz, Olympic Provisions sopressata, black mission figs, olive oil, Iburi Jio cherry smoked salt, fresh oregano

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:27:03 PM by BeerdedOne »

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2095 on: August 18, 2013, 02:19:34 AM »
I'm having such a fun time baking pies on my new build and sharing my pizza with friends. Here's another couple of pies from tonight's bake:

This is my first bake using Caputo 00 flour.  The dough is actually 70/30 mixture of 00/KAAP.  Next bake I will try the same ratio but substitute a higher-gluten flour, probably KABF.  The dough is fermented for approximately 25 hours.

The cook times were 2:00 on the first pie, 1:40 on the second pie.  The pies were tender and flavorful, I think that my bakes are improving a little each time.

Offline RSBARZ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2096 on: August 23, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »
I am a Newby to this whole process. My son in law is actually the man behind the pies. I'm like the professor from "Gilligan's Island" making things from scrap.
 We started out thinking about an actual Wood Fired Oven but that was just to much work.
I stumbled onto this site and I couldn't stop reading the posts (Like a great novel)
So we jumped into it and its been a experience.. Everyone is so helpful and it seemed eveytime I had a question someone else had already solved the problem. You guys are GREAT!
We used a burner I had around  from Harbor Freight ( A brush burner) 500,000 BTUs for all you (Binford) MORE POWER guys (but I never turn it up all the way) everything else is basic egg technology.
 I did put the slot in an insert (from a 55 gal.drum) because I was afraid to commit to cutting the lid till I was sure what we were doing..
 We have experimented and seem to get better each time..
 This is definitely a labor of love...

Would love to find some kind of get together to swap ideas and taste pizza's :pizza:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:19:48 AM by RSBARZ »

Offline RSBARZ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2097 on: August 23, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »
... and here's the son-in-law from the previous post! (using same screen name)

I've attached a picture of some nice leoparding achieved, as well. 

Deck was about 725 with roof about 825 at time of baking, for about 1 minute 30 seconds.  Caputo 00 flour (live in Pittsburgh, home of Penn Mac, no shipping!) with Ischia sourdough starter bought from sourdo.com, autolysed and cold rise for 4 days.  Really nice flavor, light crust, good spring (will take a side profile as well, next time).  Basic San Marzano tomatoes ground with food mill with some sea salt and fresh mozz (I will spring for buffalo mozz at some point).  This was the first pizza we made on our LBE after adjustments.

Although I've been making pizzas in my home oven with stone, the LBE takes things to a whole new level and it's very exciting to disover new things daily!

Oh, and I had to include something that happened over the summer.  I was in NYC for a teacher's conference (my full-time job) and saw Dom DeMarco from DiFara sitting in Little Italy!  I was starstruck, asked to take a picture, and his daughter, Maggie, chatted pizza with me for a little!

Offline sforzando

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2098 on: September 11, 2013, 02:12:06 PM »
Hey RSBARZ, that pizza looks terrific. You seem to have done a really good job at getting even heat on the top. Any chance you might share a little more info about the design and construction of your oven, and what you attribute the even top browning to?

Offline RSBARZ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2099 on: September 11, 2013, 02:57:43 PM »
Thanks,
 As I mentioned before there is nothing unique to the oven construction everthing I did was from the information I gathered by reading everyones postings. I have attached some of the pictures I took during the construction. I think the combination of the gap at the back of the oven and the (Dollar Store) pie pan attached to the lid force the heat down on top of the pie. Hope that helps... I am looking into doing some kind of insulation not sure what yet?. It just seems like a lot of heat is wasted but that might be normal with these units? As before I'm just the guy that sets up the easel and gets the paints together my son in law is the artist. He will have to add some details about his technique.

pizzapan