Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 328529 times)

Offline BeerdedOne

• La pizza una storia d'amore passionale!
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #2100 on: September 20, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
RSBARS - Great build!  I think you've made some considerable design changes with the lid and riser configuration and your top browning is superior!  I suspect the burner may be responsible for most of that- that's a lot of BTUs you are rocking!  I've tried two different burners and the results were very different even thought they were supposed to be similar in BTU output. 

For anyone who's interested in what I've been able to achieve with my recent build- here's my latest pie.  I've got about 20 bakes on the LBE and it continues to improve.  I've dropped my hydration down to 62.5 and have gotten a result that is approaching my idealized pizza result for the LBE. 

Dough is 24hr. ferment, 70/30 Caputo/KAAP blend with a cold retard over night to control the timing... 90 sec. bakes reliably now

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2101 on: October 01, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »
Nice looking crust!   Good job.   :drool:

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #2102 on: October 02, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »
That's gorgeous.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline iamrook85

« Reply #2103 on: October 06, 2013, 09:40:42 PM »

Kettle:
18.5" weber with 11" round burner cut-out
reinforced deck supported with 3/4" flat steel bar, mounted vertically so that pizza stone sits even with the lip of the kettle
steel charcoal grate for 22.5" weber
3/8 in. steel diffuser on top of the charcoal grate, cut to fit around stone
16" old stone oven pizza stone (w/feet, to keep it off the steel diffuser)

Hey man your pies look really great.  I have been looking for a good way to design something similar to your "3/8 in. steel diffuser on top of the charcoal grate, cut to fit around stone".  Was that something you cut yourself or did you order it custom.  For someone who lacks the tools to cut steel I am wondering the best way to obtain pretty much that same piece of steel that you have there.  I have the same size Weber and stone.  Thanks!

Mike

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2104 on: October 06, 2013, 09:59:08 PM »
Thanks guys!

iamrook85: that steel was cut with a plasma torch on a CNC table.  I made a template and found someone on craigslist to do the cutting.  materials and labor ran me $40 altogether.

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2105 on: October 06, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »
Here's another white pie from tonight. This one has fresh mozzarella, padron peppers, olive oil, kala namak black salt and is finished with some shaved parm.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:11:25 PM by BeerdedOne »

Offline iamrook85

« Reply #2106 on: October 06, 2013, 10:18:01 PM »
Thanks guys!

iamrook85: that steel was cut with a plasma torch on a CNC table.  I made a template and found someone on craigslist to do the cutting.  materials and labor ran me $40 altogether.

Any keywords you would recommend me typing into craigslist to find the right person?  What did you search for?  Much appreciated!

Also if you were to go back in time would you have stuck with the 1/4" or 1/8" steel?  Or are you happy with the 3/8"?

PS White pie looks unreal.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:19:52 PM by iamrook85 »

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2107 on: October 06, 2013, 11:46:12 PM »
iamrock85: try searching for "CNC cutting" or something similar.  Sometimes metal yards will have a cutting table as well, but in my area they were too expensive with a minimum charge of $50 just for making the cut.  The guy who did my cutting had a small home-based shop and I used what material he had on hand. 

I think you could use 1/4 in. but I'm happy with the 3/8 material.  I think what you loose in fuel efficiency you make up for with better heat deflection.  But you could probably make the same pizza with either gauge steel. Personally, I would stay away from anything thinner than 1/4 in.

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #2108 on: October 07, 2013, 10:14:03 PM »
Here's another white pie from tonight. This one has fresh mozzarella, padron peppers, olive oil, kala namak black salt and is finished with some shaved parm.
Yer killin me!!!
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #2109 on: October 08, 2013, 07:45:41 AM »
Beautiful pies JP... Do you turn your pies during bake?
Bert,

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2110 on: October 08, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »
MPO: I typically make two 1/3 turns during a 90 sec. bake.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #2111 on: October 08, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Great job...
Bert,

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2112 on: October 08, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »
MPO: I typically make two 1/3 turns during a 90 sec. bake.
Those pies do look good.  What stone temp do you shoot for when launching a pie?
BTW, I did spend a number of years in PDX (Hillsboro) and I'm betting that with your interests in pizza and beer, we likely have friends in common.
Thanks
Dave

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2113 on: October 11, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »
Tampa- I'm launching around 700F but then immediately cranking the burner from about 40-50% to full blast. 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2114 on: October 11, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »
Tampa- I'm launching around 700F but then immediately cranking the burner from about 40-50% to full blast.
Well that is a sweet-looking bottom you've got there. :-[  Especially for 70% Caputo.  When I was using that stone last, I was struggling with a char ring on the underside (but launching at 775-800F).  But my grill doesn't put out the BTU that your LBE does.
Best
Dave

Offline BeerdedOne

« Reply #2115 on: October 11, 2013, 12:32:25 PM »
Yeah, the stone easily gets over 800F if I preheat with the burner all the way up.  By ramping up at launch, I can get the stone hot enough during the bake to get a nice even char on the bottom of the pie without burning and hit the 90 sec. pie mark.  Probably I should try 100% caputo and launch at a higher temp to see what effect that has.  I might be able to cut the cook time down a little, but I'm not sure it's worth it, I'd rather refine my 90 sec. pies further.

Offline iamrook85

« Reply #2116 on: October 16, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
iamrock85: try searching for "CNC cutting" or something similar.  Sometimes metal yards will have a cutting table as well, but in my area they were too expensive with a minimum charge of $50 just for making the cut.  The guy who did my cutting had a small home-based shop and I used what material he had on hand. 

I think you could use 1/4 in. but I'm happy with the 3/8 material.  I think what you loose in fuel efficiency you make up for with better heat deflection.  But you could probably make the same pizza with either gauge steel. Personally, I would stay away from anything thinner than 1/4 in.

For anyone else who uses a steel tray directly under the pizza stone (with feet) to protect the stone, what thickness steel are you using?  I am planning on going with the 1/4in size per the recommendation above, but would like to hear if anyone else has any insight as well.  Thanks!

Mike

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #2117 on: October 16, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
I tried 1/8" and it warped when exposed to heat. Stick with 1/4"
Bert,

Offline RSBARZ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2118 on: October 17, 2013, 07:26:11 AM »
I tried using some big nuts as spacers between the stone and the plate but my plate gets so hot everything turned to cinders. I realize my burner is a little over kill (500,000 BTU Weed torch) so I actually have a diffuser plate then the 1/4 steel plate with bricks then the rotatining grill with the stone on it..Not sure if this is the right way but it works for us. I do have a question though I am using just basic bricks because I want something to hold the heat and they are available (They do crack after a while) would I be better with firebricks or wouldn't it make a difference? I was thinking of experimenting with some brickets from a normal gas grill ????

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2119 on: October 17, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »
Love the rotisserie RSBARZ!  I'm not sure if there is an easy way to make the grill shaft somewhat pointed, but if so, the rotisserie should spin with ease.
Dave