Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 360805 times)

scott123

Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #2120 on: October 18, 2013, 01:28:46 AM »
I tried 1/8" and it warped when exposed to heat. Stick with 1/4"

A warped deflector can still be functional. You can't sit the stone on it, because the stone won't stay level, but if you suspend the deflector below the stone, the deflector can warp a bit and still do it's job.

I know that some people still believe that deflectors can be smaller than the stone, but I strongly believe the deflector has to be a tiny bit larger to be effective. 1/4" steel plate, cut larger than the stone and to somewhat exacting dimensions to allow air flow, can get costly.  If someone has the money, sure, 1/4" will work just fine, but far thinner metal can also serve the same purpose.

I spent some time researching less expensive options, and, while nothing is a complete slam dunk, for those counting pennies, I think some of these might be a bit more viable.

http://www.agrisupply.com/disc-blade/p/69477/
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3512372
http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Building-Products-1-ft-x-2-ft-Steel-22-Gauge-Weldable-Sheet-56066/202091749?N=c27v#.UmDCiGqZH0l
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BSOX58/?tag=pizzamaking-20
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/town-34720-20-hand-hammered-cantonese-wok/88534720.html
http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_421222
http://www.lionsdeal.com/tab-trs-6506.html

Out of the whole list, the tillage blade looks the most promising.  Shipping is a bit of a wild card, but, even if it's $15 for ground shipping, that's still pretty competitive. Filling the axle hole shouldn't be too much of a problem.  At 3.5 mm, it's a little thicker than 1/8" and the concavity should go a long way to prevent warping, although, like I said, warping is not really an issue.

The trash can lid is the cheapest, but then you've got to get into zinc removal, which can get pretty nasty, depending on what acid you use to remove the zinc and the direction of the wind.

I didn't come across it in my online travels, but nonstick pans can frequently be teflon on steel.  If you happen across an 18" to 20" non stick pan that's thin but not that light, removing teflon, is, as far as I know, easier than removing zinc.

This doesn't spell out every possible option for deflection, but, for those taking the LBE route, I think it helps to provide some thriftier options than 1/4 (or thicker) plate.

Edit: I was at Restaurant Depot yesterday and noticed they have a pretty wide arrangement of sub $10 stainless bowls.  I didn't take any measurements, but I'm sure that one was in the 20" range.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2121 on: October 19, 2013, 01:47:07 AM »
Scott, maybe I missed this but you have some good options but what about just an aluminum pizza pan? Cheap and works? Doesn't the temp have to be about 1000 for you to get zinc poisoning. I get my Little Red Corvette about 700 F so I won't get zinc poisoning. 

scott123

« Reply #2122 on: October 19, 2013, 05:11:22 AM »
James, I know we've bandied around some different terms, but when I talk about the 'deflector,' it's the item between the stone and the burner- the hottest area of an LBE.  With the typical burners being used here, aluminum melting temps are almost guaranteed.  Zinc melts around 800 F, so, in theory, it could melt off the deflector, drip down to the burner and hit it's 1600 F boiling/smoke forming point.

As I was looking up the melting/boiling point of zinc, I came across this page downplaying the dangers of zinc poisoning:

http://www.theodoregray.com/periodictable/ZincSafety.html

Everyone should really do their own homework and reach their own conclusions about working with galvanized steel in an LBE, but, after reading this, personally, if I were building an LBE and ungalvanized steel wasn't readily available, I might use galvanized and make sure to stand downwind during the first pre-heat. I might also be aware of the thickness of the galvanization, as the zinc on galvanized flashing is probably super thin, while the zinc on a garbage can lid might be enough to drip and flow to the ground- or clog up the burner, as aluminum has been known to do.

Ideally, though, if one can avoid zinc, I think it's a good idea.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2123 on: October 19, 2013, 12:19:24 PM »
Scott, I see. I thought you meant the top deflector the one on the top above the stone and secured to the top of the LBE lid. I must have missed that point you made when you said deflector. Yes, I agree, aluminum would be a big mistake to put between the burner and the stone. I have two stones, each the same size and separated by two cordierite post.

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2124 on: October 20, 2013, 08:02:39 PM »
will stainless steel serving plates work? I saw an ad on craigslist for some. Most are rectangular and not big enough on their own, but two side by side should cover it.

here's an 18" one new on Amazon for $20.16, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C76ZLW/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2125 on: October 20, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »
will stainless steel serving plates work? I saw an ad on craigslist for some. Most are rectangular and not big enough on their own, but two side by side should cover it.

here's an 18" one new on Amazon for $20.16, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C76ZLW/?tag=pizzamaking-20

You just answered your own question. You found an 18" which should be big enough and it's round as well.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:53:01 PM by Steve »

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2126 on: October 20, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »
doh, never mind. I didn't see anything stainless steel in Scott123's list, but now I just noticed that he has a Walco stainless steel serving tray .

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2127 on: October 31, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
OK here's what I did...18.5 weber, Bayou Classic, 11.5 hole in bottom, 1.5x8 in side, charcoal gride from 22 weber,
ss bolts for support, 16ga. steel cut to fit(to direct air to back) (Chau.), 16 in.ss catering tray (Todd), 16in 5/8 stone on top of ss catering tray with air as buffer, for the lid 14in. pizza tray on a angle. (Villa), 12in pizza pan. thingy (Todd) I wanted to make it rotate, But I see NO reason for that now. If there are any questions, let me know.  Bob

I'm going to a steel shop this weekend. Considering that my neighbor got his 1/2" pizza steel there, I am pretty sure I can get a 16ga sheet for a diffuser. I have an Old Stone pizza stone that has short feet. With this, do I need a similar catering tray be/w my 16ga sheet and my stone? The shape of the catering tray seems important since it lifts the stone up off of the 16ga sheet.

scott123

« Reply #2128 on: October 31, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »
I'm going to a steel shop this weekend. Considering that my neighbor got his 1/2" pizza steel there, I am pretty sure I can get a 16ga sheet for a diffuser. I have an Old Stone pizza stone that has short feet. With this, do I need a similar catering tray be/w my 16ga sheet and my stone? The shape of the catering tray seems important since it lifts the stone up off of the 16ga sheet.

Mike, if the catering tray is the same sizer or larger than your stone, then you've got a deflector.  If it's smaller, then, other than a potential ceiling role, I don't think it's of any value to you in an LBE. No matter what you choose as a deflector, anything smaller than 1/8" thick has a high potential for warping, so you can't sit your stone on either the tray or the steel sheet since both will likely warp.  Instead, as I said earlier, the tray has to be suspended below the grate.  You can do this with wire or you can build a lower shelf by drilling 4 holes at the same high on the bowl and running 2 long screws/rods through them.

Btw, I would call before you go.  Some places carry plate and sheet, but I've run across places that only carry one or the other.

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2129 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
My stone is 16". If I bought 1/4" steel and cut out a 17" circle and just put my stone on there, but I would be in good shape? I just want to make sure I buy everything I need this weekend so that I can actually get started.

Offline zaafreak

« Reply #2130 on: November 01, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
My corderite stone rests on 14 ga. sheet steel.  No warping problems.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2131 on: November 01, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »
My corderite stone rests on 14 ga. sheet steel.  No warping problems.
Am I reading this right?  14 ga. is about .0747" thick (or a little more than 1/16 of an inch).  That seems a little thin if exposed to a turkey fryer rocket motor.  If it works, it works - just seems thin to me.
Dave

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2132 on: November 11, 2013, 01:04:31 AM »
I am also using 14ga steel. Mine came in a 12"x48" sheet, so I steel is in two halves. I noticed today that there was maybe a tiny bit of warping in the middle section, but the weight of my stone was sufficient to keep it flat.

Offline iamrook85

« Reply #2133 on: December 30, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
Well I decided to do some updates to my Big Black Egg 22". So here is what I have done. I cut a 16" x 2" window in my lid. I took out the grates and used bricks as my stone support. I also made them in a V shape to direct the heat to the back. My final and greatest improvement is the steel lazy susan I sandwiched between my 13" stone and my 19".  I can now just spin the pizza around and get a nice even brown crust without lifting the lid. It really made a huge difference.

Where did you get your lazy susan from?  Great idea!  I found this one that looks very similar to yours but it is zinc coated, so I would worry about zinc poisoning as many have talked about on this forum.  Let me know, thanks!

-Mike

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045DYHLQ/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #2134 on: December 30, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »
I would worry about zinc poisoning as many have talked about on this forum.  Let me know, thanks!
I believe there was some discussion on this elsewhere - possibly earlier in this thread, and the argument was made that the temperature would have to be very very high to cause the zinc to react - far higher than anyone would cook a pizza.
--pat--

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2135 on: December 30, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »
I believe there was some discussion on this elsewhere - possibly earlier in this thread, and the argument was made that the temperature would have to be very very high to cause the zinc to react - far higher than anyone would cook a pizza.
Just wipe with vinegar...
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/zinc-plating-removal-any-easy-method-86057/
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Azdevil09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2136 on: January 27, 2014, 06:19:01 PM »
So I have just stumbled upon this gem and I am thinking of giving it a go as I don't want to invest in a WFO as I am sure I will be moveing within a couple years. So does anyone know what cajun burner Villa used? I have read (only 29 pages in) that the Bayou Classic SP10 seems to be a popular choice, but I was just curious what VP was using to the his OP stated 113K BTU?

Thanks

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2137 on: January 27, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »
So I have just stumbled upon this gem and I am thinking of giving it a go as I don't want to invest in a WFO as I am sure I will be moveing within a couple years. So does anyone know what cajun burner Villa used? I have read (only 29 pages in) that the Bayou Classic SP10 seems to be a popular choice, but I was just curious what VP was using to the his OP stated 113K BTU?

Thanks
Yes, I bought the Bayou Classic about 1yr. ago....it's rated @ 120,000btu.

Bob

Offline Azdevil09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2138 on: January 27, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »
Yes, I bought the Bayou Classic about 1yr. ago....it's rated @ 120,000btu.

Bob

Thanks Bob, can I ask what regulator did you get with it? I see the SP10 on Amazon but only with a 10 PSI regulator and all the reviews I have read on it is that the 10 psi reg only up to 55,000btu. Not sure what burner to get. Thanks

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2139 on: January 27, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »
Thanks Bob, can I ask what regulator did you get with it? I see the SP10 on Amazon but only with a 10 PSI regulator and all the reviews I have read on it is that the 10 psi reg only up to 55,000btu. Not sure what burner to get. Thanks
Mine came with the 30psi....but I'm doubtful you'll even need that much. I just looked around and found this...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYSW/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Now that burner looks the same as the one in my Black Stone...running on a 10psi regulator I guarantee that is plenty enough heat for a LBE.
I've never hooked up my BC 30psi burner so I can not tell you if there is a difference between that and running this burner @ 10psi.

Bob