Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 408178 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #2125 on: October 20, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »
will stainless steel serving plates work? I saw an ad on craigslist for some. Most are rectangular and not big enough on their own, but two side by side should cover it.

here's an 18" one new on Amazon for $20.16, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C76ZLW/?tag=pizzamaking-20

You just answered your own question. You found an 18" which should be big enough and it's round as well.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:53:01 PM by Steve »

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2126 on: October 20, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »
doh, never mind. I didn't see anything stainless steel in Scott123's list, but now I just noticed that he has a Walco stainless steel serving tray .

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2127 on: October 31, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
OK here's what I did...18.5 weber, Bayou Classic, 11.5 hole in bottom, 1.5x8 in side, charcoal gride from 22 weber,
ss bolts for support, 16ga. steel cut to fit(to direct air to back) (Chau.), 16 in.ss catering tray (Todd), 16in 5/8 stone on top of ss catering tray with air as buffer, for the lid 14in. pizza tray on a angle. (Villa), 12in pizza pan. thingy (Todd) I wanted to make it rotate, But I see NO reason for that now. If there are any questions, let me know.  Bob

I'm going to a steel shop this weekend. Considering that my neighbor got his 1/2" pizza steel there, I am pretty sure I can get a 16ga sheet for a diffuser. I have an Old Stone pizza stone that has short feet. With this, do I need a similar catering tray be/w my 16ga sheet and my stone? The shape of the catering tray seems important since it lifts the stone up off of the 16ga sheet.

scott123

« Reply #2128 on: October 31, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »
I'm going to a steel shop this weekend. Considering that my neighbor got his 1/2" pizza steel there, I am pretty sure I can get a 16ga sheet for a diffuser. I have an Old Stone pizza stone that has short feet. With this, do I need a similar catering tray be/w my 16ga sheet and my stone? The shape of the catering tray seems important since it lifts the stone up off of the 16ga sheet.

Mike, if the catering tray is the same sizer or larger than your stone, then you've got a deflector.  If it's smaller, then, other than a potential ceiling role, I don't think it's of any value to you in an LBE. No matter what you choose as a deflector, anything smaller than 1/8" thick has a high potential for warping, so you can't sit your stone on either the tray or the steel sheet since both will likely warp.  Instead, as I said earlier, the tray has to be suspended below the grate.  You can do this with wire or you can build a lower shelf by drilling 4 holes at the same high on the bowl and running 2 long screws/rods through them.

Btw, I would call before you go.  Some places carry plate and sheet, but I've run across places that only carry one or the other.

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2129 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
My stone is 16". If I bought 1/4" steel and cut out a 17" circle and just put my stone on there, but I would be in good shape? I just want to make sure I buy everything I need this weekend so that I can actually get started.

Offline zaafreak

« Reply #2130 on: November 01, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
My corderite stone rests on 14 ga. sheet steel.  No warping problems.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2131 on: November 01, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »
My corderite stone rests on 14 ga. sheet steel.  No warping problems.
Am I reading this right?  14 ga. is about .0747" thick (or a little more than 1/16 of an inch).  That seems a little thin if exposed to a turkey fryer rocket motor.  If it works, it works - just seems thin to me.
Dave

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2132 on: November 11, 2013, 01:04:31 AM »
I am also using 14ga steel. Mine came in a 12"x48" sheet, so I steel is in two halves. I noticed today that there was maybe a tiny bit of warping in the middle section, but the weight of my stone was sufficient to keep it flat.

Offline iamrook85

« Reply #2133 on: December 30, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
Well I decided to do some updates to my Big Black Egg 22". So here is what I have done. I cut a 16" x 2" window in my lid. I took out the grates and used bricks as my stone support. I also made them in a V shape to direct the heat to the back. My final and greatest improvement is the steel lazy susan I sandwiched between my 13" stone and my 19".  I can now just spin the pizza around and get a nice even brown crust without lifting the lid. It really made a huge difference.

Where did you get your lazy susan from?  Great idea!  I found this one that looks very similar to yours but it is zinc coated, so I would worry about zinc poisoning as many have talked about on this forum.  Let me know, thanks!

-Mike

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045DYHLQ/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #2134 on: December 30, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »
I would worry about zinc poisoning as many have talked about on this forum.  Let me know, thanks!
I believe there was some discussion on this elsewhere - possibly earlier in this thread, and the argument was made that the temperature would have to be very very high to cause the zinc to react - far higher than anyone would cook a pizza.
--pat--

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2135 on: December 30, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »
I believe there was some discussion on this elsewhere - possibly earlier in this thread, and the argument was made that the temperature would have to be very very high to cause the zinc to react - far higher than anyone would cook a pizza.
Just wipe with vinegar...
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/zinc-plating-removal-any-easy-method-86057/
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Azdevil09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2136 on: January 27, 2014, 06:19:01 PM »
So I have just stumbled upon this gem and I am thinking of giving it a go as I don't want to invest in a WFO as I am sure I will be moveing within a couple years. So does anyone know what cajun burner Villa used? I have read (only 29 pages in) that the Bayou Classic SP10 seems to be a popular choice, but I was just curious what VP was using to the his OP stated 113K BTU?

Thanks

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2137 on: January 27, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »
So I have just stumbled upon this gem and I am thinking of giving it a go as I don't want to invest in a WFO as I am sure I will be moveing within a couple years. So does anyone know what cajun burner Villa used? I have read (only 29 pages in) that the Bayou Classic SP10 seems to be a popular choice, but I was just curious what VP was using to the his OP stated 113K BTU?

Thanks
Yes, I bought the Bayou Classic about 1yr. ago....it's rated @ 120,000btu.

Bob

Offline Azdevil09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2138 on: January 27, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »
Yes, I bought the Bayou Classic about 1yr. ago....it's rated @ 120,000btu.

Bob

Thanks Bob, can I ask what regulator did you get with it? I see the SP10 on Amazon but only with a 10 PSI regulator and all the reviews I have read on it is that the 10 psi reg only up to 55,000btu. Not sure what burner to get. Thanks

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2139 on: January 27, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »
Thanks Bob, can I ask what regulator did you get with it? I see the SP10 on Amazon but only with a 10 PSI regulator and all the reviews I have read on it is that the 10 psi reg only up to 55,000btu. Not sure what burner to get. Thanks
Mine came with the 30psi....but I'm doubtful you'll even need that much. I just looked around and found this...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYSW/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Now that burner looks the same as the one in my Black Stone...running on a 10psi regulator I guarantee that is plenty enough heat for a LBE.
I've never hooked up my BC 30psi burner so I can not tell you if there is a difference between that and running this burner @ 10psi.

Bob

Offline cyberpapa3

« Reply #2140 on: May 09, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Wow! I finally finished all 107 pages of this thread, and it has been a great read. I'm amazed it is still alive after over 7 years, and new info coming to light all the time. I've learned a lot from all the pioneers of the LBE and their innovations, and thank all the contributors of this thread.

I originally started reading this thread to get ideas to improve my pizza cooking on my Kamado grill, and I have found many. I like cooking on the kamado and can regulate the heat fairly well, obtaining and maintaining temps of 700 to 800 degrees F using lump charcoal. My problem with the kamado is the same one as people using the LBE: getting the top to properly char without the bottom of the pie getting burnt. I think I will be using the dome mods I have learned here on my future cooks. Until I read this I never thought of the impact the dough formulation can have on whether the pie bottom burns before the top is done. Tomorrow I will start a sourdough starter, thanks for the info and links.

I've been making pizzas in the house oven using a 2 stone method for about 20 years and I'm still searching for the flavors and textures I remember from the WFO pizzas I had in my youth in Lebanon, Italy and Germany way back in the '60's. I've found that most of the secret is in the fresh buffalo cheese and the WFO. Wish I could get good cheese here at a reasonable price. The other piece of the puzzle is the dough. Much experimenting to do.

I may be building a LBE soon with all I've learned here an will share my results. Thanks again to everybody for this thread.

Offline wakesurfer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2141 on: June 04, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »
Seems like it has been awhile since anyone posted.   Built my own LBE followed along the lines of Boatman.  Thanks to all that contributed to his build.  I have learned from all of them.  Fired it up for the first time at a campground for an wake surfing event I attended.  Pizzas were incredible.  Shared 10 pizzas with 30 people.  Response was excellent. 
My issue seems to be different than most in that the top cooked faster than the bottom.  Cooking at stone temp of 600 + 4- 5 min bake.  Had to turn the burner down at the end to cook the bottom more.  Any ideas why?

Offline valvi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2142 on: September 09, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »
I just wanted to say that it was amazing to find this thread!! Thanks for everyone who has contributed! Living in a small studio apartment, it would have been impossible for me to have a proper oven for baking pizza. However, building a LBE has inspired me and now I can start practicing getting better at making pizza  :P I love this community!

Here's what I got on the third time cooking with my newly build LBE:

Offline PizzaNBeer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2143 on: July 22, 2015, 05:52:14 PM »
I just finished reading literally this entire thread... OK, I skimmed a bit... But yeah.
I realize there are good commercial option out there... but this thread seemed to have died so abruptly for what seems to be such an awesome budget build.

Hopefully its not bad form to bump this, but I can't help but think it should keep going?

Cost so far was about $35 but I am going to add a kiln shelf so that may double the cost?

It uses a Baja Classic SP10 burner with 10psi regulator I need for brewing anyways.
The BBQ was new from walmart, It is currently $20 brand new for the 17.5 square grill.
It uses a stainless steel serving dish I got from a restaurant supply company for $10
And 2 12in quarry tiles that I got for free as sample (I tried to buy them... Told them I only needed a few... They gave me 2 different colors and said sample are free. If you need tile they seem to be good people over at tile 4less :P )

- I cut the grill to fit over the burner, same diameter as the ring on the burner ~10in
- I left 3 square tabs sticking inwards from this cut, evenly spaced around the circumference, and folded them down to lock the grill onto the burner. The tabs fit tightly between the supports the grill sits on. Easy to remove but wont move around with out being lifted up.
-I cut the serving tray to fit on the lip of the bottom half of the grill, where the normal cooking grate sits, then hammered the sides flat to make it wider... This made it ~17.5X15in. I traced the corners of the grill and rounded two corners of the sheet created by the tray so that it would slide to the front of the grill.
-I put the grate on top of the stainless steel sheet, and put the tiles on top of the grate.
-I used the end cut off of the serving tray as an upper air deflector. No false ceiling was needed in the lid, as this grill is very squat, and the defector sits with very little clearance above a cooked pie (I tested this ahead of time by loosely balling tinfoil, then smashing it down with the lid... This leave the tinfoil in the shape of the open area to show you what your working with)

The aluminum tray shown was not used, I had planned to make a ceiling out of it.

Offline PizzaNBeer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2144 on: July 22, 2015, 05:57:49 PM »
And yes, quary tiles explode. I think more breaks every time I had fired it. Still works broken though  >:D

The pie are looking decent, but still need some work. I think I need to increase hydration and decrease the amount of yeast? These are the same batch,
250g KA AP flour,
156g water (62.5%)
7.5g salt (3%)
2.75g ADY (1.1%)

Were good, but crust was a just a little too dense... and while everything looked good it was a little chewy/doughy.

First picture was after 1 day ferment in fridge and 2 hour rise, picture 2 was 2 days in the fridge.

These are the first and second pies though, and its been the better part of a year since I have made dough... So I will call it good :)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:24:10 PM by PizzaNBeer »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2145 on: July 23, 2015, 08:17:22 AM »
Nicely done.  Love the budget, square design, and result. :chef:
Dave