Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 344120 times)

Offline CookEmHorns

• If you're lookin' - It ain't cookin!
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #660 on: April 26, 2009, 11:33:01 PM »
Thanks again Essen for the insight.  I picked up two more cheapies yesterday at World Market, going to try them with the lower bricks breaking up the flame (pics to come). 

Don, welcome to the board.  Best of luck on your project, and by all means, keep us posted!
I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

-Pablo Picasso

Offline Corbs

« Reply #661 on: April 28, 2009, 11:49:31 AM »
This looks like just about the only thing I might be able to put up at home and not get kicked out of the house!

Which model jet cooker did you use?

Would this one work?
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP1-Jet-Cooker/dp/B0002913MI
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:22:32 PM by Corbs »

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #662 on: April 28, 2009, 02:18:11 PM »
Corbs....This one will work better.

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/sp10_propane_burner.htm

This is the burner I used on my 18" LBE. For the 14" LBE I use a burner made by Eastman Outdoors.

Villa Roma

Offline tedious79

« Reply #663 on: April 28, 2009, 02:26:20 PM »
Villa, do you do anything to prevent rusting on the burner, or is it just a necessary evil for working with the most intense gas thrower ever. The same goes for the vent cut. I find that that rusts a little too.

Anyway, those two impossibly minor flaws do little to prevent people from falling over themselves while watching me cook pizza on the frankenweber. I freaking love the LBE. I am reposting a pic of a margherita from over the weekend.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #664 on: April 28, 2009, 03:02:19 PM »
Villa, do you do anything to prevent rusting on the burner, or is it just a necessary evil for working with the most intense gas thrower ever. The same goes for the vent cut. I find that that rusts a little too.

Anyway, those two impossibly minor flaws do little to prevent people from falling over themselves while watching me cook pizza on the frankenweber. I freaking love the LBE. I am reposting a pic of a margherita from over the weekend.

Tedious,

The burner's made from cast iron, I believe, and that stuff does rust. I regularly clean out the holes in the burner itself to prevent them from clogging.

In regards to the vent, you could get some high-temp, rust resisting paint at your local hardware shop and spray over the metal.

Great pie, btw!
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline tedious79

« Reply #665 on: April 28, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »
Cool, I will check out the paint at Lowe's and see what they have that can work. I guess for the burner I can just take a wire brush to it, to get off the paint. Maybe I just assumed it was rusting because of the rust on the weber.

Offline Corbs

« Reply #666 on: April 28, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
Corbs....This one will work better.

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/sp10_propane_burner.htm

This is the burner I used on my 18" LBE. For the 14" LBE I use a burner made by Eastman Outdoors.

Villa Roma

Thanks Villa,

I'm finding it hard to find one in the UK, but my search shall go on! :)

-Corbs

Offline Corbs

« Reply #667 on: April 28, 2009, 05:24:13 PM »

That pizza looks great, this is all good motivation :D

PS, this is the worst site if you are on a diet >:D

Offline CookEmHorns

« Reply #668 on: April 28, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »
This looks like just about the only thing I might be able to put up at home and not get kicked out of the house!

Which model jet cooker did you use?

Would this one work?
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP1-Jet-Cooker/dp/B0002913MI

Corbs, that's the one I just bought, and I believe that the SP-10 would work a little better.  The SP-1 is a jet burner and shoots a very direct flame straight up, and the diffuser element on the stand spreads the flame out too wide for the bottom of my LBE (11").  What I've had to do is put in a lower ceramic grate below my cooking surface with two fire bricks on it to spread the flame. 

Look at my last post with photos, and that's what happens when a direct flame hits the bottom of an (albeit) cheap stone.  I haven't tried the lower brick experiment yet, but in theory I should be able to make it through a night of pizza making without another broken stone. 

Good Luck,

CW
I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

-Pablo Picasso

Offline Corbs

« Reply #669 on: April 29, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »
Corbs, that's the one I just bought, and I believe that the SP-10 would work a little better.  The SP-1 is a jet burner and shoots a very direct flame straight up, and the diffuser element on the stand spreads the flame out too wide for the bottom of my LBE (11").  What I've had to do is put in a lower ceramic grate below my cooking surface with two fire bricks on it to spread the flame. 

Look at my last post with photos, and that's what happens when a direct flame hits the bottom of an (albeit) cheap stone.  I haven't tried the lower brick experiment yet, but in theory I should be able to make it through a night of pizza making without another broken stone. 

Good Luck,

CW
Thanks CW, that's great to know, looks like a have a little summer project on my hands then!  :D

Offline Corbs

« Reply #670 on: April 29, 2009, 11:00:14 AM »
I am having real trouble finding a jet cooker, as we don't really use them in the UK, in fact I hadn't heard of one before this thread. If anyone knows somewhere that ships internationally a suitable cooker then please tell me!

Thanks,

Corbs

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #671 on: April 30, 2009, 12:34:22 AM »
Corbs,

Check out some restaurant supply stores and see if they have a wok burner. Member 'Pizzacraver' uses one, I believe, and he's in Australia, where the jet cookers are also a bit hard to come by.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.msg62272.html#msg62272
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:40:04 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline CookEmHorns

« Reply #672 on: May 02, 2009, 12:43:20 AM »
Have to tell you how much more fun cooking pizza is with some toys!  First off is a Salter 7001DX digital scale.  Followed the Lehman recipe to a 'T' Wednesday night and had no more than a tsp. of leftover dough/flour on the inside of my mixing bowl.  Got my Raytech IR thermometer yesterday, and I was out on the muggy patio this evening making some pizzas.

I'm still having trouble getting a round pizza, but like everything else in life, it's going to take some practice.  Since my stones cracked last time, I decided to place a brick at a lower level than the cooking surface to spread the flame, placed a cracked stone on the grilling grate, and then put a new stone on top of the cracked one. 

After 20 minutes of warmup, the IR read 715 on the cooking surface, 734 on the top stone. 

First pie on and off in 3:15. 

Second pie was going onto the DLBE, and I noticed that my new top stone was cracked.  I wonder if it has anything to do with wet, 78 degree dough going onto it, since the stone I have mounted on the lid is just fine, and had a higher temp than the bottom one.  Oh well, as Essen has suggested (numerous times), I'm going to get a GOOD stone for next weekend.

Had one more little piece of dough that just didn't want to stretch, so I made a little calzone.  I have to tell you, all of it was fantastic!  The calzone especially.  I think I will make a couple of them every time I do pizzas since they will be easier to store, and eat/give away.  (The pic of the calzone is after the obligatory sample bite)!

I love this stuff!!!

Have a good weekend everyone!

CW

-Pablo Picasso

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #673 on: May 03, 2009, 03:27:14 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about using my barbecue grill for baking pizzas. It is a 28,000 BTU two burner gas grill.  I would like to cover part of the top with aluminum foil to make a three to 4 inch window between the foil and the stone, but I am worried about the aluminum overheating and melting into the surface of the grill. It seems that many of you guys use aluminum foil for the little black egg set up.  Have you found it to be completely safe from melting and is there a particular type of foil that works best such as heavy-duty?

The reason I am concerned is that despite many people using aluminum foil such as Jeff V in his self-cleaning oven, my own oven states never to put aluminum foil inside because it will melt into the oven surface during self-cleaning and be impossible to remove. with the proper setup, my barbecue will get at least as hot as my self cleaning oven so I imagine this would be an issue there as well. 
I would like to make pizzas on my grill, but I don't want to have permanent silver marks all over the inside. Please let me know.  Thanks

Alex

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #674 on: May 03, 2009, 04:08:04 PM »
CEH,

Nice pies!

But from the looks of them I think you could use a bit more top heat to get some char going around the cornicione (rim). I'm always looking for a good balance between top and bottom heat when I heat up the LBE and before the first pie goes in.

DoouBall,

Personally, I have had no problems using heavy-duty aluminum foil inside the LBE.
Mike

Offline CookEmHorns

« Reply #675 on: May 04, 2009, 08:42:56 AM »
Doughball,

I use plain old 'heavy duty' foil and have had my pit over 700 degrees multiple times with NO melting.  I've heard that Sam's has the old school REALLY heavy duty foil, so next trip there I'm going to get some of that.  As a note, the batch I did saturday I removed the foil, and could only get temps in the mid 600's, and the batch I did yesterday (with foil) reached 750 easily and much quicker.

CW

-Pablo Picasso

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #676 on: May 17, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
Oops......I did it again!!!!!!!

That's right LBE fans, I made some quick white flour pizzas. This was a test batch and I used my famous screwdriver to mix up the dough. Cooked in 2 1/2 minutes.

Villa Roma

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:26:08 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline kross

« Reply #677 on: May 29, 2009, 12:15:24 AM »
Greetings from a newbie!

I just finished reading through this thread (all 34 pages, wow!), and I just had to give this a try.  I didn't have any pizza stones, so I used what I had laying around, which was unglazed quarry tiles.

So I threw a chimney full of lit lump charcoal into the grill, stacked up a couple of tiles, and lined the lid with aluminum foil.

The tiles cracked from the heat (big surprise ,right!).  That didn't stop me, though.  I just cooked the pizzas on the cracked tiles.  Didn't seem to make a difference.  I didn't time it, but I would estimate it took about 3 minutes per pizza.

I used a regular pizza recipe I've been using for a while now (Alton Brown's recipe).  But man, this was some of the best pizza I've made at home!  Much better than the pizzas I've cooked in the oven on those same tiles.

I've ordered some Italian sourdough starter from sourdo.com.  I can't wait to give Jeff V.'s recipe a try!

I may even get a "proper" LBE setup by then!

Thanks!
-- Kevin

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #678 on: May 29, 2009, 07:38:21 AM »
Last night the 3rd of 3 pizzas was a simple marinara.
Man, do i love the LBE. about 2 minute cook time. Dough was 72% hydration KA bread flour, aged in fridge for 3 days.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #679 on: May 29, 2009, 08:55:47 AM »
Killer Pies Guys!!
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan