I finally got started on the egg!
Seems like only a few months ago, I found this site, and was eager to make one. Bought a fryer assembly at Academy Sports for 29.99. I hope 58,000 btu's will be hot enough for this little smoky.
I could have had my welder friend cut the holes in the lid and bottom, but got to anxious when I couldn't get him on the phone yesterday. I went for it with my drill, hacksaw blade, duct tape and dremel.
Cutting that side vent with a flimsy hacksaw blade was a b*tch. I decided to just cut the bottom hole by making a series of closely spaced drill holes all around the circle I had marked, then using the dremel to grind through between the gaps. It ain't pretty, but it's smooth and it will have to do.
I need to get some L brackets to support the stone in the lid, and will probably attach that this week. I took pics, but haven't had a chance to unload them off the camera, since my husband normally loads photos onto his computer, and I don't even know if I have software to get pics here.
My friends who have been asking me about this for months, all have those cheap stones that they never use for anything, except taking space in the cupboard, so we will sacrifice them all (we've got about 6 total) to the experiment stages. Now I've got to place an order for a decent stone, and an infrared thermometer, and some good fire retardant gloves, plus study all the recipes again.
Thanks to all those
who went before and showed the way. I have no doubt this little baby is going to blow their socks off (my buddies, who doubt a pizza can cook in 2 minutes).
I'll be sure to get more pics when we are up and running.