Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 360939 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2007, 07:50:24 AM »
Sorry, I'm not Don Herbert.

Don Herbert died on June 12 of this year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Herbert :(.

Peter

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2007, 01:08:32 AM »
I made pizza this weekend and tried a few experiments. I used some cake flour and a milk starter to see what difference it made.

The pizza came out good but they were a little heavy probably due to the milk starter which isn't as active as the rye starter I usually use. This dough could have benefited from a good pinch of IDY yeast.

The first two pizzas are 50% whole grain with 1/4 of the white flour being cake flour.

The third pizza below was made with a 50/50 blend of Harvest King and Pillsbury Softasilk cake flour. The cake flour definitely made the dough more supple but if I try this again, I'll go with 25% cake flour or less. The crumb was somewhat biscuit like and the flavor wasn't as good as normal.

The cake flour had a strange smell to it, sort of a chemical odor, most likely the bleaching agent. It reminded me of the smell of joint compound used on drywall. The flour wasn't old and still had a year left before the expiration date.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:22:05 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2007, 02:11:10 AM »
The lazy susan bearing I ordered came in so I took some pictures to show it off as it's majestically perched atop the cajun cooker. The LBE now rotates almost effortlessly. I guess you could say, this puts a whole new spin on the pizza making experience! :-D

I'll be making pizza this weekend and I'll take some video of the maiden voyage of the rolling stones mod. Eat your heart out Mick (and your lips).

Villa Roma, the spin doctor 8)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:54:50 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline toddster63

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2007, 03:18:01 AM »
Wow--that is way cool, Villa Roma. I can just see you on your deck, effortlessly spinning your pies to perfection (coming to YouTube soon I hope). That is really a great upgrade to the LBE. It'll be interesting to get your feedback on the effect it has on your pies. I would imagine they will cook faster as the lid will retain more heat as you will not be lifting it all to rotate the pies?

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2007, 03:56:54 AM »
Precisely toddster63, the pressure from the regulator pushes more gas out one side of the burner resulting in the heat to be more concentrated on one side of the LBE. It's the nature of the beast. Turning the pizza worked but opening the lid let heat out and lengthened the cook time.

For the test run I'm going to keep the temp to around 675 degrees and if all goes well I may try a high heat run, shooting for the elusive sub 2 minute pizza. It really depends how well the LS bearing tolerates the heat.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:00:55 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2007, 08:25:03 AM »
Hi Villa Roma,

gee now that's interesting, I really also hope that you'll post a YouTube video of this in action, even if the
thing is not fired up.

I'd like to see how it works.

Now, how... did you get a lazy susan out of metal, that fits that propane burner area ?, I'm really curious
about that.  The thing ( the lazy susan ) looks like it fits perfectly, almost like it was made for your burner !

anyway, very nice stuff.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2007, 02:19:29 AM »
CB....I searched the net for lazy suzan bearings and this one looked like it would work, so I took a chance and ordered it. It was literally a plop n roll as opposed to rock n roll.

Speaking of rock n roll, I made a short video of the rolling stones mod. You can catch it here: ()

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 04:52:12 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2007, 03:26:51 PM »
It was pizza day today and here's a few from the LBE at about 725 degrees. The first one is 50% whole grain and the second is just flour, water, yeast and salt with a 75% hydration.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:30:27 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline toddster63

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2007, 01:31:33 AM »
Pies looks superlative, as always, Villa Roma (I love your creativity with toppings... :pizza:)

How did the new lazy susan hold up under the heat...?

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2007, 06:10:27 AM »
Pies looks superlative, as always, Villa Roma (I love your creativity with toppings... :pizza:)

How did the new lazy susan hold up under the heat...?

Before I fired the LBE up I was debating whether to clean the grease out of the bearings. I decided to go with it and the grease created a good deal of smoke until it burned off but other than that, it worked just fine. The pizzas cooked in 2 1/2 minutes at around 700 degrees. I think I could get under 2 minutes if I cranked the heat but not with this recipe.

Villa Roma

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2007, 08:32:59 AM »
Villa Roma

How often do you have to re-tin foil the LBE. After about five uses my heavy duty tin foil in the kettle portion nearest the flame is starting to disintegrate. I'm thinking about just putting another layer or two over the existing - what's your experiences??

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2007, 08:54:39 AM »
Villa Roma

How often do you have to re-tin foil the LBE. After about five uses my heavy duty tin foil in the kettle portion nearest the flame is starting to disintegrate. I'm thinking about just putting another layer or two over the existing - what's your experiences??

Mine is doing fine but the opening on your grill seems to be a bit narrower so that may be the reason why it's not holding up well. I also used heavy duty foil.

Villa Roma

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2007, 10:32:51 AM »
Here's a bunch of pizzas I made this weekend. The first two are 1/3 stone ground rye, 1/3 whole wheat graham  and 1/3 Harvest king (66% whole grain). The next two are 100% whole wheat. The last one is a football pizza made with the same dough as the first two pizzas. Cooked at 650 degrees for 3->3 1/2 minutes on the LBE of course!

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:55:32 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2007, 10:38:21 AM »
Here's some side shots. The first two are 66% whole grain and the last two are 100% whole wheat. :chef:

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:42:49 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2007, 12:01:03 AM »
Nice crust,

what type of yeast you using?

willard
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2007, 12:22:33 AM »
Nice crust,

what type of yeast you using?

willard

Willard....I've been using a rye starter but for these pizzas I used plain Saf IDY.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:49:45 PM by Villa Roma »

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2007, 06:12:14 AM »
Hi there, can anyone give me some advise. I'm interested in converting a weber like villaroma has. If I use  galvanized metal brackets to mount a pizza stone in the lid could there be any adverse chemical reaction when the metal heats up?

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2007, 08:14:08 AM »
It will probably burn off the galvanization, which i assume isn't healthy. I would use brass or steel brackets.

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »
Here's a few pizzas from the LBE. The first one is 90% Harvest King and 10% rye. The second is 90% whole wheat and 10% rye.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 02:34:38 PM by Villa Roma »

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2007, 06:59:20 AM »
Here's a pizza made with 90% GM all purpose flour and 10% whole grain rye. You don't need high gluten flour to make great pizza. ;) Also check out the 100% whole grain bagels. Start your morning off right with whole grains! The last pizza is 100% whole grain, All courtesy of the LBE.

Villa Roma