Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 343166 times)

Offline Boatman2

Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #1820 on: October 12, 2012, 01:34:57 PM »
2nd time trying to post photo's.... 75 00\ 25 BF, HD 63, salt 2.5, IDY 0.3, CF 3days. hope this works!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1821 on: October 12, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »
Hey Bob,
Great job man...those are beauties. Congratulations!  :chef:

ps, try this, you might like it...http://www.picresize.com/results
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #1822 on: October 12, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
Pies look good, dough sounds really interesting. The way you mixed up the 00 and BF - was that an experiment based on prior attempts, or just something that seemed like a good idea?

And wow, that bottom pic with the transdimensional warp light spilling out of the UFO is too cool!  Mine never looks like that!  Did you have the regulator open all the way for the bake as well as the picture?  Some shots of your interior arrangement would be great.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #1823 on: October 12, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »
Everything I did came from this site. I read all 91 pages. I took Ideas from Tran,Villa and Toddster63 and everyone else. The photo of the LBE is not on.LOL. I put a peace of paper in and used the flash to see the opening. The pies cooked in 2:30 took about 15 min to heat to 600 at half power then full power the first half of the bake then back to half for the rest of the bake. I will post Photo's on what I did. Thank you, I am having so much FUN with this project because of all the info here I was lucky I didn't have any Tweaking...YET!! I get a lot of heat on the top.....You guys are great

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #1824 on: October 12, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »
OK here's what I did...18.5 weber, Bayou Classic, 11.5 hole in bottom, 1.5x8 in side, charcoal gride from 22 weber,
ss bolts for support, 16ga. steel cut to fit(to direct air to back) (Chau.), 16 in.ss catering tray (Todd), 16in 5/8 stone on top of ss catering tray with air as buffer, for the lid 14in. pizza tray on a angle. (Villa), 12in pizza pan. thingy (Todd) I wanted to make it rotate, But I see NO reason for that now. If there are any questions, let me know.  Bob

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #1825 on: October 17, 2012, 12:54:27 AM »
Bob, thanks for the interior pictures.  LOL, I really thought you had some kind of crazy flame going on to produce that picture. 

Your setup looks perfectly fine, based on the pizza pics and a lot of history with various attempts.  The only thing you might want to play around with is your air director direction.  If you are seeing a less-than-ideal top char or trying to go for 800F Neo-NY style (about a minute to 2 minutes), you could try rotating your assembly 180 degrees.  On the other hand, as long as you are happy, it's all good.    :) :) :)

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #1826 on: October 17, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »
I may try a bake at 750 degrees. I think it will be under 2:00min. just for fun. I don,t understand why turn my setup 180 degrees? It seems to get a lot of heat on the top. I bake for 1 min and turn the pizza 180 degrees and then turn maybe 3 times 90 degrees 15 sec. Bob

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #1827 on: October 17, 2012, 01:03:59 PM »
P.S.....So far I have not have any burnt bottoms, just a nice little char on the bottom. Next time I,ll show the bottom also.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #1828 on: October 17, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »
Looking forward to your pics from that - what dough are you planning on using? Same 75 00 / 25 BF?

I suggested rotating the air director assembly 180 because it seems to me that doing so would make more of a scoop shape that will slam the top with hot air, as if you were using a large blowtorch on it.
  The way it is now, you have a nice turbulent hot air mass that is moving and roiling over the top of the pie, cooking it with convection.  It's perfect for high temp (650) NY style.
   When you go to a higher temperature and a shorter bake (NP style), the convection setup may not be able to keep up with the heat of the bottom stone, resulting in a charred bottom long before the top looks done.  

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #1829 on: October 17, 2012, 02:33:05 PM »
These were bake at 700...dough was the same but came out of freezer sat on counter for 5hr. Dough was very soft and weak. not sure what you would call I'm to new at this. The crust didn't puff up like before.Maybe this is called over  ferment? Time of bake was 2:30min. Maybe I should have done less time. This was the most char I've had on the bottom. The next time I will try 750 and under 2min. and see what happens. And I will use the same dough out of freezer but only 1 1/2 hours on the counter.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #1830 on: October 17, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
Was the dough noticeably different from the previous set of pies following the bake?  More tender, more flavor? Less?   How did you like it?

After seeing how your LBE does (mechanically speaking) with NP style, I suggest you start another thread where you can document your progress of exploration. 

Brian

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #1831 on: October 17, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
Ok.. I,ll try to start a new thread. The last pizza had good flavor. But seemed a little tougher. But not much spring as before. Same batch of dough only out of freezer for 5hr. I'm thinking that may have been to long.

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #1832 on: October 19, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
I started a thread called "under 2min. on my new LBE. hope for some help.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #1833 on: October 20, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »
That thread is here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21607.0.html

(Possibly one of the quickest ramp-ups to awesome I have seen in the LBE builder's section.)

New builders, please take note of Bob's (Boatman2) setup.  Following his configuration procedure as outlined will help you immensely.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:36:18 PM by pizzaneer »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #1834 on: December 01, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »
Made this on my Little Red Corvette that I call it. I posted pics in the Luigi thread if you want the story behind these but here it is on the Little Red Corvette.

What do you think?

Offline zaafreak

« Reply #1835 on: December 04, 2012, 09:58:29 AM »
First, I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread over the years.  The information is invaluable.  Long story short: I recently built a LBE extremely similar to Boatman's and have been churning out pizzas as good as or better than the pies I grew up with in northern NJ. My basic recipe:

KABF 100%
H20 61%
salt 1.5%
ADY 0.4%
EVOO 1%
TF .065
However, I discovered that optimum baking temp is 625 to 650 ish. At temps exceeding 675, my pizzas, while great looking top and bottom, have a bad gum line.

Is there a way to cook at higher temps and avoid the gum line or should I be happy with what I have?

Offline BUGSY4620

« Reply #1836 on: December 15, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
Hey Guys,

Just wanted your input. I'm going to be constructing my little black egg of my own but, unfortunately, the turkey burner (bayou classic sp 10) only comes with a 10psi regulator. Would that work? What would be the difference in function from say, a 20 psi vs a 10 psi?

Thanks

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #1837 on: December 15, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »
You will get different opinions on this.  Mine is that it WILL do the job, as long as you don't put stuff in the way of the heat.

Use Boatman2's setup to maximize your chances of getting good results quickly.

Offline BUGSY4620

« Reply #1838 on: December 15, 2012, 06:08:49 PM »
ok thanks!

Offline zaafreak

« Reply #1839 on: December 17, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »
The BTU rating is the most important factor.  My burner is rated for 58,000 BTU with a 10psi regulator. At approximately 1/3 power my stone reaches 700 is 15 minutes.  Frankly, I don't see any benefit from a larger burner.  My setup is nearly identical to Boatman's.