Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 351722 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #1840 on: December 17, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »
The BTU rating is the most important factor.  My burner is rated for 58,000 BTU with a 10psi regulator. At approximately 1/3 power my stone reaches 700 is 15 minutes.  Frankly, I don't see any benefit from a larger burner.  My setup is nearly identical to Boatman's.

+1. 

Also, keep in mind that 700 in a LBE is not the same as 700 in a WFO.  There are other factors at work, such as greater conductivity from the hearth material, faster thermal replacement of convective air mass, etc.   In essence, you could take cooking parameters for a WFO and knock 150 degrees off to get the same results in a LBE in everything but long-term heat retention.

Not starting a fight, guys, just thought it was worth mentioning.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Online zaafreak

« Reply #1841 on: December 17, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
No argument from me.  I'm a physics teacher.  As you correctly note, there are other thermodynamic considerations that must be taken into account.  I think a lot of people get hung up on oven temperature and don't realize the importance of the other variables.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #1842 on: December 17, 2012, 12:58:40 PM »
No argument from me.  I'm a physics teacher.  As you correctly note, there are other thermodynamic considerations that must be taken into account.  I think a lot of people get hung up on oven temperature and don't realize the importance of the other variables.

*Weeping*  I'm so proud to accept this No-Bell award!  I feel so humble right now... I want to give a big thank you to all the little people who have helped me along the way...  THANK YOU, little people!  *sobs, rushes off stage*

Online zaafreak

« Reply #1843 on: December 17, 2012, 02:28:01 PM »
Seriously, you, as well as everyone else who has contributed to this thread and website should be proud.  You have helped me and countless others dramatically shorten the learning curve on their journey to better (great?) pizza.

Thanks!

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #1844 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10:41 PM »
To me, your appreciation underscores the need for a summary post that can be made into a sticky on this topic.  This thread has become so amazingly long that it's becoming hard to glean useful information from it. 

Kudos to anyone who has waded through all of it to reach the pot of gold: understanding how the LBE works!  See equation below.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1845 on: December 17, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
Brian,
Thank you for the picture explanation of that equation....it now makes perfect sense.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline stevehollx

« Reply #1846 on: January 25, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »
Is it still recommended to lift the pizza stone off of having direct contact with the steel sitting on the grate?  I know people recommended it early in this thread, but I saw no recent reference to it.

Would people recommend putting a Primo pizza stone directly on a steel plate sitting on the grill, with no lower diffusers?  Or should it be insulated off the plate by some small pieces of cordierite?

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #1847 on: January 25, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
get a sheet pan for 7-8 bucks and keep it for using as your shield and transport. Small investment to say to least!!

jon

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-x-26-18-gauge-full-size-aluminum-bun-pan-sheet-pan/18-x-26-18-gauge-full-size-aluminum-bun-pan-sheet-pan.jpg
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #1848 on: January 25, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
Is it still recommended to lift the pizza stone off of having direct contact with the steel sitting on the grate?  I know people recommended it early in this thread, but I saw no recent reference to it.

Would people recommend putting a Primo pizza stone directly on a steel plate sitting on the grill, with no lower diffusers?  Or should it be insulated off the plate by some small pieces of cordierite?

Go ahead and put your stone on the steel. It's fine in terms of safety, and is more efficient like that than otherwise.

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #1849 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »
Well I decided to do some updates to my Big Black Egg 22". So here is what I have done. I cut a 16" x 2" window in my lid. I took out the grates and used bricks as my stone support. I also made them in a V shape to direct the heat to the back. My final and greatest improvement is the steel lazy susan I sandwiched between my 13" stone and my 19".  I can now just spin the pizza around and get a nice even brown crust without lifting the lid. It really made a huge difference.

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #1850 on: January 31, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
Here are a couple more pics. Cooking at about 600 for about 2-3 mins.

Offline FacciaPizza

« Reply #1851 on: February 01, 2013, 04:52:18 AM »
Looking good

Offline jhacker00

« Reply #1852 on: February 03, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »
Long time lurker on this site.  I've made a little black egg months ago, and have varied levels of success and failure.  I just wanted to thank you all for the great info shared on this thread.  I hope to make some updates to my LBE in the spring, and post some pictures of my monster and pizzas.  Thanks.

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #1853 on: February 26, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »
Gonna through this out there as I have nothing to loose...anyone interested in making me one for fee?  I can get a tank and probably the burner local.  I'd be willing to "entertain" someone cutting it to spec and at a minimum putting the stones in place, etc.  I'm open to anything reasonable.  If not, no harm, no foul. 
Polack trying to make pizza

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1854 on: February 26, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
Mr. Polish,
How soon you need this?
I have all the new parts to assemble what I think is going to be a really good rig. Brian(pizzaneer)helped me pick out the parts and has instructed me on putting it together. Going to employ Scotts "C-ring" design using 2 22inX3/4 Axner kiln shelves.

I could show you were to get the gear and if you had 1 of the shelves sent to my house....on the next bit of nice weather here(soon) I could cut your stone and make a C-ring for you as I am doing mine at the same time. It's really not all that complicated and for the cost of the shipping back an forth I can show you a Harbor Freight tool that will get the job done.
But if you are totally non mechanically inclined I be glad to cut stuff up for you at no charge.
Think it over and pm me if you'd like...

Bob

Offline landras

« Reply #1855 on: February 27, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
Well I decided to do some updates to my Big Black Egg 22". So here is what I have done. I cut a 16" x 2" window in my lid. I took out the grates and used bricks as my stone support. I also made them in a V shape to direct the heat to the back. My final and greatest improvement is the steel lazy susan I sandwiched between my 13" stone and my 19".  I can now just spin the pizza around and get a nice even brown crust without lifting the lid. It really made a huge difference.

nice looking pizza!, could you show how the lazzy susan work? thanks

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #1856 on: February 28, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »
  She is so lazy, I'm doing all the work.   :chef:   
<a href="http://youtu.be/ph7ITylk2zA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/ph7ITylk2zA</a>

Finished pizza shots that I didn't get to put in video:   
<a href="http://youtu.be/fHN9yAN3BWs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/fHN9yAN3BWs</a>
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:05:32 PM by MrP »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1857 on: February 28, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »
  She is so lazy, I'm doing all the work.   :chef:   http://youtu.be/ph7ITylk2zA

Finished pizza shots that I didn't get to put in video:   http://youtu.be/fHN9yAN3BWs
MrP,

Your lazy susan appears to rotate very smoothly...nice work!
Could you possibly provide us a pic or 2 showing the mechanics of your turntable mechanism...that would be great.
Thank you!
Bob

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #1858 on: February 28, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
  Thanks! I believe having the lazy susan sandwiched between two stones helps too. I posted some pics in post #1849.  The top stone is a 19" and the whole thing is pulled forward to leave a 2.5" gap at the back.

This is the type I used http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Bearing-Turntable-Bearings-VXB/dp/B0045DV04I  

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:35:50 PM by MrP »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1859 on: February 28, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
 Thanks! I believe having the lazy susan sandwiched between two stones helps too. I posted some pics in post #1849.  The top stone is a 19" and the whole thing is pulled forward to leave a 2.5" gap at the back.

This is the type I used http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Bearing-Turntable-Bearings-VXB/dp/B0045DV04I  

Thank you MrP.  ;)

It is very interesting that you feel the addition of the steel turntable has improved your bake....does it change your temps any? Have you ever taken different area temp readings on your top stone P? Is the outer portion of top stone running hotter? Thanks.

Bob