Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 390649 times)

Offline MrP

• One more slice
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #1850 on: January 31, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
Here are a couple more pics. Cooking at about 600 for about 2-3 mins.

Offline FacciaPizza

« Reply #1851 on: February 01, 2013, 04:52:18 AM »
Looking good

Offline jhacker00

« Reply #1852 on: February 03, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »
Long time lurker on this site.  I've made a little black egg months ago, and have varied levels of success and failure.  I just wanted to thank you all for the great info shared on this thread.  I hope to make some updates to my LBE in the spring, and post some pictures of my monster and pizzas.  Thanks.

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #1853 on: February 26, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »
Gonna through this out there as I have nothing to loose...anyone interested in making me one for fee?  I can get a tank and probably the burner local.  I'd be willing to "entertain" someone cutting it to spec and at a minimum putting the stones in place, etc.  I'm open to anything reasonable.  If not, no harm, no foul. 
Polack trying to make pizza

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1854 on: February 26, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
Mr. Polish,
How soon you need this?
I have all the new parts to assemble what I think is going to be a really good rig. Brian(pizzaneer)helped me pick out the parts and has instructed me on putting it together. Going to employ Scotts "C-ring" design using 2 22inX3/4 Axner kiln shelves.

I could show you were to get the gear and if you had 1 of the shelves sent to my house....on the next bit of nice weather here(soon) I could cut your stone and make a C-ring for you as I am doing mine at the same time. It's really not all that complicated and for the cost of the shipping back an forth I can show you a Harbor Freight tool that will get the job done.
But if you are totally non mechanically inclined I be glad to cut stuff up for you at no charge.
Think it over and pm me if you'd like...

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline landras

« Reply #1855 on: February 27, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
Well I decided to do some updates to my Big Black Egg 22". So here is what I have done. I cut a 16" x 2" window in my lid. I took out the grates and used bricks as my stone support. I also made them in a V shape to direct the heat to the back. My final and greatest improvement is the steel lazy susan I sandwiched between my 13" stone and my 19".  I can now just spin the pizza around and get a nice even brown crust without lifting the lid. It really made a huge difference.

nice looking pizza!, could you show how the lazzy susan work? thanks

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #1856 on: February 28, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »
  She is so lazy, I'm doing all the work.   :chef:   

Finished pizza shots that I didn't get to put in video:   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:05:32 PM by MrP »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1857 on: February 28, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »
  She is so lazy, I'm doing all the work.   :chef:   http://youtu.be/ph7ITylk2zA

Finished pizza shots that I didn't get to put in video:   http://youtu.be/fHN9yAN3BWs
MrP,

Your lazy susan appears to rotate very smoothly...nice work!
Could you possibly provide us a pic or 2 showing the mechanics of your turntable mechanism...that would be great.
Thank you!
Bob

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #1858 on: February 28, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
  Thanks! I believe having the lazy susan sandwiched between two stones helps too. I posted some pics in post #1849.  The top stone is a 19" and the whole thing is pulled forward to leave a 2.5" gap at the back.

This is the type I used http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Bearing-Turntable-Bearings-VXB/dp/B0045DV04I  

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:35:50 PM by MrP »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1859 on: February 28, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
 Thanks! I believe having the lazy susan sandwiched between two stones helps too. I posted some pics in post #1849.  The top stone is a 19" and the whole thing is pulled forward to leave a 2.5" gap at the back.

This is the type I used http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Bearing-Turntable-Bearings-VXB/dp/B0045DV04I  

Thank you MrP.  ;)

It is very interesting that you feel the addition of the steel turntable has improved your bake....does it change your temps any? Have you ever taken different area temp readings on your top stone P? Is the outer portion of top stone running hotter? Thanks.

Bob

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #1860 on: February 28, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
  Well, I think all the mods helped, but the lazy susan really helps with even baking.  As far as temps go, I have not recorded lots. I have gotten it up to over 800 and the top stone (which is a 13") almost as high. As I am warming the oven up I periodically rotate the stone to get an even temp.  My next bake (which may be this weekend), I will try to get more temp readings. I also am thinking of replacing the top 13" stone with another 19", which should help as well.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1861 on: February 28, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »
OK sounds good MrP, will look forward to your next bake.
Have you given any thought to replacing the bottom 13 in stone with a larger steel plate?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #1862 on: February 28, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »
Bob, I don't see any benefit to MrP's particular setup from replacing his bottom stone with steel plate.  He's got a nice thing going with the rotating deck, and what ever heat energy is wasted heating up the bottom stone is mitigated by throwing more propane at it.  I don't think very high heat would help the lazy susan's bearings, so it's probably a good thing it's on a stone.

The efficiency of this mod is related to turning the cooking deck through the convective zones.  Other mods using an air deflector spread out the convective zones to be more even on the top. 

I'm just going to throw this idea out there:  instead of making the hearth rotate, make the convective zones rotate.  Use a radiator fan mounted to the dome to disperse the superheated air.  The fan will spin as the blade gets a kick from the hot air gap in the back, basically painting a layer of heat from the center out.  Or for some real giggles, mount a small electric motor on top.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1863 on: February 28, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
 ;D   I like the way you think Brian.  ;)
And yes, I was a bit curious about the bearings...is there a lube available for this high a temp.? Do they even need lubed I wonder?

Brian, what are your thoughts on using a C ring with the bottom stone being an inch or 2 smaller but the ring matches the size of the larger top stone(which will sit on top of the ring)...point the burner straight at the center of the bottom stone...heat then radiates evenly(hopefully)out from under bottom stone up into the chamber that is created by the c ring and larger top stone?
edit: I think this might be a good thing and would bet the burner wouldn't have to run as hard also...?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:16:13 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #1864 on: February 28, 2013, 06:05:51 PM »
  Yeah, I agree too. I don't think replacing the bottom with steel would do much.  The bearings in the lazy susan had no lube. I imagine at some point rust may find it's way in, but they are really cheap. The stone and the bricks really force the heat to the back and up.  I have only done a few bakes with this new set-up, but it is giving some great results. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:37:35 PM by MrP »

Offline landras

« Reply #1865 on: March 01, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »
  She is so lazy, I'm doing all the work.   :chef:   http://youtu.be/ph7ITylk2zA

Finished pizza shots that I didn't get to put in video:   http://youtu.be/fHN9yAN3BWs

where did you got the lazzy susan? thanks

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #1867 on: March 01, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »
That looks just like it, but I can't say for sure. I can't seem to find my info on it. Will post it, if and when I find it.

Offline landras

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1869 on: March 01, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »
That looks just like it, but I can't say for sure. I can't seem to find my info on it. Will post it, if and when I find it.
MrP...you're as bad as me.... :-D   The link is from none other than you man! I'm the same way dude..."move in too fast for da kid" as Richard Pryor used to say... 8)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.msg240424.html#msg240424

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #1870 on: March 05, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »
Funny! I didn't get a chance this weekend to bake any pies.  I ran into a crab feed and a pheasant hunt.  Hopefully next weekend.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #1871 on: March 20, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »
I came across this fascinating thread upon searching for the term "LBE" after encountering it elsewhere in the forum.  After reading a bit and watching Villa Roma's demo videos, I've decided I'm going to make one myself.  This seems like just the ticket to get the heat of pizza making out of the kitchen for the upcoming summer, not to mention the primary benefit of having an inexpensive means of producing a neapolitan style pizza without having to build a WFO.  At least, that's my perception so far of the benefits of building an LBE.

I certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel, so I am going to read this entire thread before I start.  Unless I learn something that would deter me, I'll base my build on a 22 inch Weber grill and a 150,000 BTU natural gas ring burner.   I happen to have those items on hand, so it makes sense to use them.   

This should be fun.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #1872 on: March 21, 2013, 06:17:34 PM »
Chas, my build thread, while too wordy in places, summarizes a lot. Plus it's only 3 pages or so.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16863.0.html

Some members have had great success with essentially the same setup.
Good luck!
Brian
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #1873 on: March 22, 2013, 02:52:52 AM »
Brian, I just read this entire thread, all 94 pages of it, and now I'm digesting it.  There are sure some gorgeous pizzas displayed in this thread. 

My head is swimming.  I'll check out your build thread later today too.  Thanks for the link and the encouragement.  I'm sure I'll have questions as I go.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #1874 on: March 22, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
I was just reviewing some threads about the Mighty Pizza Oven, which is made and sold by a member of this forum.  It's a grill insert pizza cooker that shares some basic similarities with an LBE, but some significant differences as well.  The two different style of cookers are not targeting exactly the same pizza styles or cooking times (the LBE is potentially a much faster cooker), but both employ conduction, convection, and radiant heat to bake the pizza.  On the MPO, the top stone provides radiant heat to the top of the pizza.  Some LBEs use a top stone for the same reason, while others omit the stone and forego the radiant aspect and just concentrate on improving convection cooking through air distribution mods.   

My understanding is that the development of the various air distribution mods in the lid of the LBE arose due to undercooked top and cornicione relative to the bottom of the pizza.  The Mighty Pizza Oven doesn't appear to use any air mixing devices (air foils, vortice inducers, baffles, etc), yet the pizzas produced with it don't exhibit undercooked top or cornicione.   

I'm guessing that the MPO relies more on radiant heat, and the LBE on convection heat, to thoroughly bake the top of the pizza.  It may be that the longer cooking times on the MPO permit more effective use of radiant heat to cook the top of the pizza than can be realized with the faster-cooking LBE.  I'm wondering if anyone has been able to improve the radiant heat capacity of an LBE enough to properly cook the top of the pizza without needing airflow modifications?

pizzapan