Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 366167 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #1980 on: May 31, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »
Your vent size is fine. You will have a good amount of throughput, which is important for safety reasons.

Don't worry too much about precision when building your LBE- the power of the burner makes up for a LOT of fudging.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1981 on: June 01, 2013, 11:43:45 PM »
Hi Yall,
Well.....Finally! Side vent cut and got a stone....So here is my build.  Gitnrrr dunn
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:03:41 AM by robcurtis2 »

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1982 on: June 01, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »
First cut all the legs off and measured a 10" hole to match the size of the burner.  I might want to lower the grill down as Chau did on his for heat efficiency but will stick with the basic build for now.

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1983 on: June 01, 2013, 11:51:24 PM »
Fer the 10" burner

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1984 on: June 01, 2013, 11:54:05 PM »
Dun wit that.  Ugh!

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1985 on: June 01, 2013, 11:57:18 PM »
Paint was smokin so I went ahead and sanded the paint off the burner before I start to cook any pies.

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1986 on: June 01, 2013, 11:58:39 PM »
Brushn

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1987 on: June 01, 2013, 11:59:58 PM »
Somewhat better

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1988 on: June 02, 2013, 12:02:12 AM »
K... Z side vent.  I went ahead with a arc about 10" x 3" high in the middle.  Use a plastic plate to trace.

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1989 on: June 02, 2013, 12:08:31 AM »
8" cast iron heat diffuser

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1990 on: June 02, 2013, 12:10:03 AM »
some Kiln stilts for the heat buffer stone

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1991 on: June 02, 2013, 12:12:01 AM »
15" buffer stone location forward for flow

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1992 on: June 02, 2013, 12:13:28 AM »
Then I set the main baking stone(19" Kiln shelf) directly on the other 15" buffer stone.  Still moved forward so heat flow will be directed from the back of the LBE over the pie to the vent in front.  Yall know this already.  ^^^
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:26:52 AM by robcurtis2 »

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1993 on: June 02, 2013, 12:20:34 AM »
And Tuhhhdahhhh!  The final build.  I tried to stoke er up and I think its gonna take a bit of practice afa heatn er up.  I only gotrr up to about 550 degs stone surface temp after about 45 minutes.  I dont have any lid deflectors ect so just the basic design.  I guess I need to learn the process.  Any ideas?? 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:28:11 AM by robcurtis2 »

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1994 on: June 02, 2013, 12:36:30 AM »
So thats my LBE build.  I found that the COOP here carries Caputo 00 flour so got some today and will start with that leg/next step of creating that perfect pie at home.  UGH!  This is a lot of frikn work and studyn but way tooo much fun.  Im so glad there are others as crazy as I about this.   ;D  Once I git the temp control down I will start with some pie pics from this LBE.  From what I have read and have talked with others, I hope to create something similar as Mmmmph, R2, C-Bob, Jackie Tran and others I havent named.  So thanks fer yalls help for now but Im sure I have more questions.   ;D
Cheers fer now.
RC
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:45:53 AM by robcurtis2 »

scott123

« Reply #1995 on: June 02, 2013, 01:23:30 AM »
Rob, it's not looking too bad.  You did a really nice job with the photo documentation.  A few thoughts:

You don't need two deflectors.  One is fine.  It's recently acquired knowledge, and it's not something that many have incorporated, but I've come to the conclusion that the most important aspect of the deflector is that it's larger than the baking stone.  If it isn't, the heat laps up around it and you get superheated edges on your baking stone.  With conduction, the extreme heat of the edges tends to flow to the center of the stone a bit, so you lose most of the benefits of deflection.

Lose the cast iron pan, put the 19" stone on the grate, then the kiln stilts, then place the 15" stone on top of those. 15" is going to make some small pies, but the heat will flow perfectly up around around the 19" stone, bypassing the 15" stone and create a far more balanced bake.

Even with perfect deflection, if you want proper top browning, you've got to lower the ceiling in an LBE, preferably not with aluminum if you're using a high BTU burner and striving for sub 2 minute bakes. You might want to check the sizing of the 19" stone and see if it will fit in the lower portion of the lid. If it does, drill holes and run two long screws across to support it.

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1996 on: June 02, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
Yep!  R2-Bayou also suggested the same to git rid of the cast iron deflector down by the burner/flame. 

So afa options:

Option 1 - So do you think round would be better OR if a baking stone smaller than the deflector is ideal, then I just  need to buy a 18" round kiln shelf and set that directly on my 19" deca kiln heat buffer/deflector shelf.  You think I should separate the two with like a 1/2" kiln stilt that way there is some air traveling in between the deflector and the baking stone? 

OR Option 2 - should I git rid of the 15" stone, keep the cast iron below, and use the deca shelf as my baking stone?

OR Option 3 - as Toddster says here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.1680.html in post #1687 said to lose any lower deflector ie cast iron skillet quote "Can't stree enough—LOSE any type of lower heat deflector sans a stainless/steel tray to set under your stone and work more on a upper "heat director" (it's really the ticket)".

I see this post #1683 discussing where you suggest same size 18" deflector and 18" baking hearth. 
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.1680.html

So if option #1 do you think same size stones, or go with a larger deflector than baking hearth such as im thinking for my set up.  ie 19" deca deflector that I already have and 18" round kiln shelf for my baking hearth??

If option 3 then what gage steel do yall think? 

I will start working on lowering the lid and building some crazy design  ;D as some have for directing heat to the top of the pie.  Most seem to be using aluminum pizza pans for both heat direction and lowering the ceiling.  No problems with the melting?  I think they are rated at like 1200deg melting point but I guess I worry to much.  Ugh! 

Cheers fer now,   :chef:
RC
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:16:00 PM by robcurtis2 »

scott123

« Reply #1997 on: June 02, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
Did I say that?  >:D

It took me a couple years to come to terms with the benefits of a slightly larger deflector  ;D

For those that have it, a think a same size deflector is fine, but if someone's building from scratch, I now recommend a larger deflector.

LBEs tend to have directional air flow- up the back and then over the pizza and out the front, and a round (rather than a deca) kiln shelf deflector helps to close off the front and create an opening in the back.  That being said, there are those that have taken a more centralized rather than an offset approach and who I think might have been successful (it's been a long thread).

I believe the 18" baking stone on top of the 19" deca is the answer (with air between- air is good! ;) ) but, before you go shopping for an 18" stone, I'd see what the 15" does.

It's tough. If you were happy with 4 minute NY bakes, then things like the airflow with the deca probably wouldn't matter much.  Since you're talking about Caputo and referencing Neo in your profile, then you have absolutely no margin for error.

Speaking of Neo... aluminum starts being problematic above 1000, and, LBEs, especially LBEs attempting Neo, can definitely hit that.  It makes things so much harder when you can't use aluminum for the ceiling, but if you're shooting for sub 2 minutes, I'd avoid it.

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1998 on: June 02, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »
K...So Heads up.  !!FIRE HAZARD WITH THESE LBE's!!  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Im usually pretty careful with fire stuff and I figured that the jet is jetn up and heat rises blah blah blah....these these get really hot so make sure you got a fire extinguisher available close by....and I do but I did change some thangs. 

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1999 on: June 02, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
So Lowe's sells some BBQ mat for like $40 bucks but why when you can buy porcelain tiles fired at 2K deg for $4 buck a pop and a 1 square foot tile at $2 bucks totaling just under $11 bucks.  Prolly better anyway.   Doing a test pizza tonight so drama continues.  HA!   ;D
Cheers fer now,
RC