Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 342914 times)

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »
Although I have a 2stone on a Weber and it works well - the need to tinker is strong. I have been putting together my own modified LBE. Pictures will follow if it actually works. LOL

My one question is if anyone has determined an optimum distance between upper and lower stones? Thanks.

PNW

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2008, 11:05:43 PM »
PNW,

I have tried numerous ceiling stones, mostly the cheaper kind, which used to crack on me, and use a 12" BGE right now with exceptional results.

Bottom stones are a 15" cordierite from American Metalcraft and a Fibra-D stone on top of it. All three get nicely hot but I usually stop raising the temp when they reach 850 - 900 F for the bottom and 700 - 750 F for the top, which takes about 15 - 20 mins. The pizza is around 3" from the top stone, but I am able to either lower or raise the top stone, depending on the outcome of the pie and how well it's cooked from the top.

When I raise or lower the top stone in my LBE, it also affects the air flow going over the pie. The closer the stone is to the opening of top vent, the more hot air get forced over the pizza and out the side vent, which benefits oven spring and shortens bake time. The downside, however, is that it takes a little longer...perhaps a minute or so...to get a nicely charred crust going, but in turn, the bottom might cook faster so keep your eyes peeled on how fast the bottom of the pie cooks.

I currently have another idea/modification in the works, which would eliminate one of the two bottom stones altogether and should increase the hot air flow "over and out" immensely. I'll post pics as soon as it's ready to go.

I'd say 2.5" - 3" is best if the temp of the top stone is monitored.

Hope that helps.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:23:04 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2008, 09:15:43 PM »
Hey guys,

I made a LBE last summer and put the Essen1 mods to it last week.  I added the same chimney pipe & four-sided vent and cut the lid open for the peel.  I think these mods have really improved the set up.  Within 30 seconds the pizza started leoparding around where the vent is located.  I rotated the pizza 3-4 times at 15 second intervals.  I still need to tweak the dough formulation and the overall temperature of the LBE, but man I was excited how well the pizza came out; best Neapolitan style I've been able to make.

I used a 75/25 Caputo pizza 00/KA bread
63% Water
2.25% Salt (need to cut it to 2%)
.04% IDY
tf=0.1
2-day cold rise.

This set up will definitely work with 100% Caputo; might have to cut water to 62% for that.

Here are the pics:

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:21:18 PM by Boy Hits Car »

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2008, 11:40:58 PM »
Hey guys,

I made a LBE last summer and put the Essen1 mods to it last week.  I added the same chimney pipe & four-sided vent and cut the lid open for the peel.  I think these mods have really improved the set up.  Within 30 seconds the pizza started leoparding around where the vent is located.  I rotated the pizza 3-4 times at 15 second intervals.  I still need to tweak the dough formulation and the overall temperature of the LBE, but man I was excited how well the pizza came out; best Neapolitan style I've been able to make.

Has anyone adjusted the stone height in the LBE so the pizza would be raised higher in the chamber - if so what happened?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2008, 04:11:02 PM »
BHC,

great-looking pies!

I'm glad the mods worked for you. Here's another tip in regards to air flow and temp control. I sometimes cover some of the openings of the four-sided vent with some foil, especially during the warm-up phase, which in turn forces more of the hot air over the stones and out the side vent.

Do you have any pics of your LBE, by any chance?

Y-Town,

I use two bottom stones. One round cordierite, which is an inch thick incl. its feet, and a Fibra-D on top, which has a thickness of 3/4", I believe. Works all pretty well. I adjust the distance, however, with the top stone.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:15:03 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48:44 PM »
Thanks Essen1.  I'll try to post some pics of the lbe next weekend.  Here are some pics from last weekend.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2008, 11:19:08 PM »
Nice!

It's safe to assume that you like your LBE.   ;D

You and I should give praise to Villa Roma for coming up with such an ingenious design!

It's a revolution in terms of affordable homemade pizza ovens. And it's not slap at Willard's design of the 2stone, don't get me wrong. The only difference is the LBE doesn't rotate. But I'm on that, too, together with my metal shop buddy...  8)

So...Villa in Germany...thank you and big Kudos to ya'. And a big TY to Willard who actually took it a step further.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:26:42 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »
I love it.  My only wish is to be able to rotate the stone like Willard's 2stone.  Let me know what you and your buddy come up with!

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2008, 01:46:35 AM »
I love it.  My only wish is to be able to rotate the stone like Willard's 2stone.  Let me know what you and your buddy come up with!

I think I'll try Villa Roma's Lazy Susan but between lower stones instead when I put together my LBE.

IMO this forum and thread are some the best stuff I've seen on the Internet.  Thanks Ron, Mike, Jeff, Willard ...heck, everyone here...for sharing your great ideas. :chef:

Vic
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo http://vimeo.com/1654340

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2008, 01:29:09 AM »
BHC,

I'll keep you posted on the rotating issue.

Personally, I don't think it's possible with a Weber, except for the idea VR had (Lazy Susan). But do you really want to rotate the entire BBQ, instead of just the stone a la Willard? Just think about the impact it would have on the air flow...and being consistent.

Perhaps installing the burner a little off center, running a rod down the middle of a high heat resistant metal plate, which would hold the stone, then equip it with ball bearings for a smooth ride and that should do it.

It would mean, however, that the stone gets heated by the "quarter" only, and you'd be required to turn it every so often during heat up time. Willard solved it by installing a motor somehow, for a continuous spin during heat up.

Ingenious. :)

Finger,

you should chat with VR, since he installed and tried out a LS. He might have some valuable tips for you.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:32:01 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2008, 09:03:31 PM »
I was hoping to find a way to rotate the stone like willard's 2stone.  Not a big deal since I don't mind having to turn the pizza - feels like I working with a real wood-burning oven.   :;)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »
I agree.

A little work/fun while baking a pie is always great.
Mike

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #212 on: May 14, 2008, 11:40:20 AM »
Wuzup Home Skillets?
Ha, as you may have gathered from the opening line, I've incorporated a fresh new exciting mod to my LBE. Yes, I picked up a skillet or technically a griddle and mounted it in the lid in place of the stone that was originally there.  I surgically removed the handles and drilled a hole in the skillet and then mounted it to the lid via a centrally located hole with a furniture T nut and a 1/4" x 20 bolt.

The clearance between the cooking surface and the skillet is just shy of 2", perfecto as they say in Italy. The skillet is one heavy duty chunk of metal tipping the scales at a massive 3 1/2 pounds. You can bet I'll be cranking the heavy metal music next time I'm making pizza. >:D I picked it up on ebay for $15 delivered.

I have yet to road test this behemoth but rest assured, I'll post pics when I do.

Bang your head, metal health'll drive you mad.......Villa Roma
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:38:45 PM by Villa Roma »

Offline retrodog

« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2008, 04:43:41 PM »
About rotating the stone...

I've found that if I periodically lift the lid just a bit, I can easily rotate it without losing any significant heat. Since my flame is evenly distributed underneath, the air flow through the top seems to be what was affecting the eveness of cooking. Rotating the lid evens that out quite a bit.

Offline tankard

« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »
Morning All,

What an inspiring thread !!

As is always the way we have less options down here in New Zealand for items like the Cajun cooker (although I do head to the Southern US often (Tallahassee) for work - and love that kind of food).

So far the only option I have been able to find is a duckbilled burner YO18 they dont sell the larger one here (link removed).  This puts out 113 BTU (or 120 MJ for us Metric followers).

Im planning on installing this in a 22" Webber - will this make enough heat?? - or should I wait for my next trip to Australia and buy the 180 BTU unit when Im over there?

Again - thanks for all the information so far and I look forward to asking you what Ive done wrong with the base once I get this LBE up and running.

Chris

Offline tankard

« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »
Sorry - here is the link - it wont let me post links being a new member - so I have edited it to sneak it past the posting 'checker' - Im sure you clever guys can work it out:

w  w  w  .auscrown.com/commdbbrn.php

Chris

Offline retrodog

« Reply #216 on: May 14, 2008, 09:42:35 PM »
Morning All,

What an inspiring thread !!

As is always the way we have less options down here in New Zealand for items like the Cajun cooker (although I do head to the Southern US often (Tallahassee) for work - and love that kind of food).

So far the only option I have been able to find is a duckbilled burner YO18 they dont sell the larger one here (link removed).  This puts out 113 BTU (or 120 MJ for us Metric followers).

Im planning on installing this in a 22" Webber - will this make enough heat?? - or should I wait for my next trip to Australia and buy the 180 BTU unit when Im over there?

Again - thanks for all the information so far and I look forward to asking you what Ive done wrong with the base once I get this LBE up and running.

Chris
The burner than I use puts out about 60,000 BTU. Not sure that you could do much with 180.

Offline tankard

« Reply #217 on: May 14, 2008, 09:44:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

oops - sorry I should have said - 113,000 BTU?   :-[

What size Webber are you using yours on?

C

Offline retrodog

« Reply #218 on: May 14, 2008, 09:48:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

oops - sorry I should have said - 113,000 BTU?   :-[

What size Webber are you using yours on?

C
I think it's the 18" one. That gives me just about 1" around the edge for air flow.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2008, 12:09:09 AM »
Hey Villa,

great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

I was playing around with the same idea before using a BGE inside the lid. How does the skriddle hold up the heat? And how's the airflow?

On Friday, which is tomorrow, I'm gonna pick up a new addition for the LBE, but before I say anything specific or rave about it, I have to give it a test run first. But I'll post some pics as soon as I have it.

Mike

Wuzup Home Skillets?
Ha, as you may have gathered from the opening line, I've incorporated a fresh new exciting mod to my LBE. Yes, I picked up a skillet or technically a griddle and mounted it in the lid in place of the stone that was originally there.  I surgically removed the handles and drilled a hole in the skillet and then mounted it to the lid via a centrally located hole with a furniture T nut and a 1/4" x 20 bolt.

The clearance between the cooking surface and the skillet is just shy of 2", perfecto as they say in Italy. The skillet is one heavy duty chunk of metal tipping the scales at a massive 3 1/2 pounds. You can bet I'll be cranking the heavy metal music next time I'm making pizza. >:D I picked it up on ebay for $15 delivered.

I have yet to road test this behemoth but rest assured, I'll post pics when I do.

Bang your head, metal health'll drive you mad.......Villa Roma

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 12:11:54 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

pizzapan