The Little Black Egg has landed in Oregon!! I'm an east-coast transplant and pizza maniac. When I found this website, I found my new project. I really wanted to clip the self-cleaning latch off my home oven to achieve optimal pizza making temps, but I don't think my security deposit would have survived any move out inspection! The Little Black Egg was the perfect solution for my space...
Classic Bayou Cooker SP-10 from Amazon (delivered) $57.11
18" Weber Grill from Craigslist $25.00
16" Old Stone Oven Pizza Stone from local kitchen store $42.00
13" & 15" Sunbeam Pizza Stones from eBay (delivered) $30.00
Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil, Nuts, Bolts, & Bits $15.00
Neiko Tools Non-Contact IR Thermometer from Amazon (delivered) $37.99
All tolled, the project cost about $200.
I started by cutting an 11" hole out of the bottom of my weber using a dremel tool with the cutting wheel attachment: one pass to take off the paint, and another pass to cut through the steel. I then cut an 8" x 1" vent in the side of the lid. I used a course grit sand paper to smooth all the rough cut edges. I then used a tile/metal drill bit to drill a 1/4" hole through the center of the 13" pizza stone and then the lid. I lined the weber's body and lid with heavy duty aluminum foil, as well as wrapping the 15" pizza stone with foil. The foil wrapped stone was placed directly on the grill grating to act as a flame buffer for the cooking stone. The OSO 16" stone was placed on top of the foil wrapped stone and cheated toward the side with the vent. Finally I bolted the 13" stone to the lid using a 1/4" x 3" steel bolt and several nuts and washers. I placed the whole rig onto the burner and voila! The R2-Bayou has been born!!
My pizza recipe was inspired after studying Jeff Varansano's NY Pizza recipe website, and reading Ed Wood's, "Classic Sourdoughs". I've gotten pretty handy using sourdough cultures, and I think its been a big upgrade in my doughs. For the launch of R2-Bayou, I made 5 pizzas: 2 margaritas, 1 spinach and gorgonzola, and 2 pies topped with marinara, muzz, carmalized onions, kalamata olives, and home smoked chorizo. The first couple pies were my beta test, getting used to the temperature and general methodology. The first pie's shape had some thinner spots that created big bubbles that over charred. My temperature was also well over 850 degrees on the top and bottom stones. I reduced the temperature to 725 on the bottom stone and 750 on the top stone, and I found this to be the optimal temperature for me. By the fourth and fifth pies I had perfected my method. I hope you enjoy the pics! THANK YOU LBE THREAD!!!!!