Author Topic: How to start a forum?  (Read 2621 times)

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

How to start a forum?
« on: February 22, 2007, 10:22:22 PM »
Hi Admin

Im hoping you can help me out a bit. I am a member and a student at a community college turned full on "college" with a few exceptions. Technology and the money to buy, implement, and operate it is not an abundant asset we (the school) posess. The program is a 2 year allied health degree program that is time and study intensive - we are in need of a discussion board (forum) that would allow all students in the forum (and possibly students at other facilities) to log in and post re: curriculum, clinical experience etc.

I suggested to a faculty member that we implement the forum design to achieve this collective, progressive information dissemination method and she agreed that it would be good. I now need to find out just how forums work and if the IT dept at my school can just slap one together that one of the lab assts can moderate or do we need a seperate server fees blah blah blah.

Ive seen a few forum hosting sites on line - are these what I need or can I work with what the school has? What questions would I need to assertain this.

I really appreciate any info you could provide - I realize that I am asking a lot of questions so any help you could provide would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

Re: How to start a forum?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 08:07:01 PM »
cough

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: How to start a forum?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »
Your IT people should be able to set one up failrly easily on one of their servers.

Most open-source forums are written for the Linux platform and use an Apache web server, PHP and MySQL.

The only real cost that you shoud incur is the expense of a server. The rest is open source (free).

Steve
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.