Author Topic: Aye Carumba! Macho Deep Dish  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Musky

Aye Carumba! Macho Deep Dish
« on: February 24, 2007, 10:46:56 PM »
After making pizza following the recipes from this site for the last five weeks, tonight I wanted to do something a little different.  Thursday I made a deep dish dough following the recipe developed by Loowaters.  After weighing the flour I removed about a quarter cup and replaced it with corn flour back to weight.  Not corn meal.  I was hoping to get a bit more corn flavor to the crust for the pizza I had in mind.  The dough did not come together quite as nicely as my previous attempts.  I added a bit of oil at the end and did a little hand shaping.  I proofed in the oven using the proofing mode for 1.5 hours until doubled, punched down, then proofed for another hour.  Then into the fridge.  I put the dough to use tonight after a 1.5 hour rise on the counter.  It was as easy to work with as the non-corn flour dough.

I greased my pan with corn oil hoping again to impart more corn flavor to the crust.  After shaping the dough to the inside of the pan, I added Chihuahua cheese, par-cooked chorizo and longuiza sausage (glad I par-cooked, very greasy), roasted poblano pepper strips, and black beans.  For the sauce I made a roasted tomatillo-chipotle salsa (Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen).  I topped the sauce with a sprinkling of shredded Cotia cheese.

After baking for 25-27 minutes at 450, I added some fresh chopped cilantro.  I served with lime slices for a zesty squirt and Mexican crema.  It was one spicy and flavorful pie.  My wife thought the crust could have passed for a corn biscuit.

Might be sacrilege as a Chicago pie, but it was really good.  Here's a couple pictures.  Thanks again, everybody.  Still having a blast making pizza.

Kevin

Muskies anyone?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re: Aye Carumba! Macho Deep Dish
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 10:51:12 PM »
I love the thoughts that went into this. Good Job!
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline templeofsamadhi

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 01:41:31 AM »
Wow, that does look damn good!! This may not be possible but can you elaborate on the crust? What pizza place would you compare it to, any?

Thanks

Offline Musky

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 12:12:12 PM »
Templeof, the original recipe developed by Loowaters results in a Lou Malnati's style crust.  I added the quarter cup of corn flour and greased the pan with corn flour in hopes of achieving that same Lou Malnati's texture but with more corn flavor.  A flavor closer to what you would find in a soft corn tortilla made with fresh masa.  While the crust did not have corn flavor anywhere near that pronounced, it was notable while retaining the biscuit type texture of a pizza crust.

Kevin

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:27:49 AM »
Looks good! ;D

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 10:11:53 AM »
Kevin!  Excellent job with both creative license and end result!  I like to do a BBQ sauce, pepperoni and bacon pizza as a different twist but you've created something quite cool.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 03:54:36 PM »
That looks like an interesting twist.  :chef:
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

Offline nycParkie

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »
I know this topic is so old, but I can't help but add that this is one of the most visually appealing pizza's I've ever seen.  I can't wait to tr one out for myself.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »
Is Musky out of his mind!?  >:D
Actually, I've never had a Mexican type of pizza....but boy I sure would hit that one. She is a beauty!
Most excellent innovation there Musky....glad you are back too.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
Is Musky out of his mind!?  >:D
Actually, I've never had a Mexican type of pizza....but boy I sure would hit that one. She is a beauty!
Most excellent innovation there Musky....glad you are back too.  ;)

Bob, I don't think Musky has checked in since last year. This post thread started in 2007.

I am curious about the corn flour; same as masa flour?
 :chef:
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
Bob, I don't think Musky has checked in since last year. This post thread started in 2007.

I am curious about the corn flour; same as masa flour?
 :chef:
Ooops...I checked his recent posts and read it as Jan. '12 when in fact it's '11. Need to polish my glasses.
Anyway,in keeping with the Mexican theme and Musky stating that it tasted along the lines of a tortilla. I would assume that he was indeed talking about masa, Ed. Wiki calls corn flour masa. I've worked with masa before and it is definetely more "flour" like than cornmeal. Hope that helps...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Musky

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 12:49:19 AM »
Well, this is a late reply, but I've recently been browsing the forum and have made a few posts after quite some time away.  I actually have three dough balls in the working right now for tomorrows pizzas.

What is used for corn flour in that pizza was something like the picture below.  That sure was a fun pizza to make.  More fun to eat.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 03:21:23 AM »
Have you repeated that pie and crust? I would hit that JUST LIKE a Musky. You are obviously from MN/WI with a handle like that!! :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 04:50:21 AM »
Tamale pie comes to mind ;D.  Glad this post somehow got revived. I bet the pie tasted great...served with sour cream, even better.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Musky

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 09:15:54 AM »
Have you repeated that pie and crust? I would hit that JUST LIKE a Musky. You are obviously from MN/WI with a handle like that!! :-D

jon

I have not repeated it.  Getting back into the pizza scene after a time away.  And yep, I'm a Cheesehead.  Dying the last four weeks watching the Pack lose, and then worse tie the stinking Vikings, while waiting for Rodgers to come back.

Kevin

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 02:20:43 PM »

I have not repeated it.  Getting back into the pizza scene after a time away.  And yep, I'm a Cheesehead.  Dying the last four weeks watching the Pack lose, and then worse tie the stinking Vikings, while waiting for Rodgers to come back.

Kevin

Lmao, Go Vikes!  How did McCarthy not go for the end zone on 4th down in OT?  Vikes have 4 Epic collapses this season.  Anyways, glad we made your playoff chances dimmer and still secured our top 3 pick.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Musky

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »
Lmao, Go Vikes!  How did McCarthy not go for the end zone on 4th down in OT?  Vikes have 4 Epic collapses this season.  Anyways, glad we made your playoff chances dimmer and still secured our top 3 pick.

That's mean.  lol.  If they can beat the Lions tomorrow, Rodgers comes back for the next game, and it's off to the races. 

Kevin

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
That's mean.  lol.  If they can beat the Lions tomorrow, Rodgers comes back for the next game, and it's off to the races. 

Kevin

I thought Pack had a chance until Det flipped that switch.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Musky

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 10:56:52 PM »
I thought Pack had a chance until Det flipped that switch.

The defense is terrible.  So is Matt Flynn.

Kevin

pizzapan