Author Topic: Pizza like this?  (Read 2504 times)

Offline emo

• Only Way Out
Pizza like this?
« on: July 13, 2004, 04:05:39 AM »
Hey what's up, this is my first post, so go easy on me if this seems like a dumb question.

I'm from Scotland, so pizza isn't exactally as big here as in America, but i can't get enough of the stuff! I've been making pizzas for a while now, just with a recepie i got from a cooking magazine, but to be honest it tastes a bit bland! There's one fast food company in my hometown that makes pizzas the likes I have never found elsewhere! And i've tried everything i could to replicate it, but just couldn't find a decent recepie! Until i came here!

I only found this site this morning, but boy does it rock. I can't wait to try out some of these pizzas.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out...

This is the pizza (awfully small pic i'm sorry, will try get a bigger one if i can)
http://www.fourinone.co.uk/images/P96.jpg
They use pans exactally like these ones:
http://www.pizzatools.com/images/ddnestk_ph.jpg (the deep dish nesting pans)
and an oven like this:
http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/media/convoven.jpg (electric conveyor type)

The dough is reeeally soft, airy and almost chewey inside the crust, and the outside is medium to crispy, not rock solid! The thickness of the pizza where the toppings is no thicker than 3/4cm and flops down when you pick it up!
The closest i've seen to the inside of the crust was on the post 'Tonights Pizza'
The conveyor ovens they use are at around 509-518 and they take about 15-20 minutes to cook... i don't know if this helps?

Again, really sorry if this is a stupid question, but if there's anyone that knows how to make great pizzas it's the people on this site!
No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re:Pizza like this?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 08:52:56 AM »
You are definitely in the right place. Just keep searching the posts. If you can't find the right recipe here, it doesn't exist. Hey, my Father was from Wishaw, Scotland.

Offline emo

• Only Way Out
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 12:06:27 PM »
The flower I use for my pizzas at the moment is 'Strong White Bread Flour' which has like... 11.7% protein. Is this not high enough?

Maybe it's to do with not leaving it in the fridge for 24 hours?
When i make pizza, i leave it to double in size (about an hour or so), then roll it out.

I watched the hand rolling video that was posted a while ago, and she showed doughs that had been kept for 24 hours and 48 hours, and mine was NEVER that soft and stretchy!

What's the best sort of thing to keep the dough in? I've seen people keeping it in plastic bags and things like that?

Thanks again for your help :D

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 12:39:18 PM »
Welcome emo to the best and the most friendly pizza site on the web.

First things first, no question is a dumb one, although the answers are probably already posted somewhere on the site, we have all asked the same questions at one time or another.
So ask away and you shall not be dissapointed. ;D

As for proofing the dough, I use  large freezer ziploc bags. However Steve from the forum uses old ice cream pails, which I think is probably one of the better ideas.

Definately rise your dough for 24 hours in the fridge, you will be very happy with the results. Make sure to let the dough rest at room temp for a while before making the pizza though.

As for flour, if you can, you should order some King Arthur Flour online, it is used by many on this site, and most are sworn to using nothing else. Oh yeah it is the King Arthur, Sir Lancelot bread flour.Welcome to the Forum. ;D ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 01:02:31 PM »
It looks like from the picture the crust may use milk or milk powder but not sure.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 03:26:32 PM »
Based on the pictures and pans use my guess is that it is made simular to the pizza hutt pan that can be found on the main page and maybe a good starting point.

Unlike the PH Pan my guess is the dough is wetter and softer.  The center being thinner is created by using your hand to press down the center just prior to topping.

I would use at least 13% protein and do the overnight rise in the pan in the fridge.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 03:54:44 PM »
I took a closer look at those pictures and I had failed to notice that the pizza pans were beveled on the edge.

It looks as though it might be a bit thinner than the pizza hut pizza though, the crust just has the high puffy edge (corniconeor something like that I think.)
I have had similar pizza in a local italian resturaunt called Sargento's.

But I am sure you will be happy with any of the recipes you use as a starting point.

On the next one you make I suggest that you post your ingredients and results, from there many on the site will help you to adjust your recipe more to your liking. ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline emo

• Only Way Out
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 04:50:06 PM »
Definetally. Thanks a lot everyone, i'll let you know how i get on.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 10:10:49 PM »
It is certainly thinner then a PH pan and is a lighter crust.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 09:10:33 AM »
I am from the school of thought that the only dumb question is the one that is not asked! I think the gang here will agree to that and even know this of me!

I hate to see what the shipping charges are for the KASL flour to Scottland!!!
I would try going to a local bakery to see if they might sell you some high gluton flour. I have done this and got 5 pounds.
I am lazy, I admit, I proof in the mixing bowl (oiled & covered with plastic wrap) with no problems. It does take a little longer to get the dough to temp after bringing it out of the fridge though.

Do not "roll" out the dough with a rolling pin.
( I havent seen these videos, maybe you are not using a rolling pin) You will get better results if you stretch the dough to the form you want.

Welcome, are you near Kilmarnock- thats where my pipes were made.
Pizzaholic

pizzapan