Author Topic: Good Ingredients in San Diego?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Pentagarn

Good Ingredients in San Diego?
« on: February 26, 2007, 01:55:10 PM »
Does anyone know of a store that sells 6 in 1 in San Diego?  I tried several stores near where I live, but they all carried pretty much the same few brands - Progresso, S&W, Contadina, and some local store brand.

Same goes for something like Grande mozzarella.  The brands available at the stores close to me seem pretty limited.

Offline MikeyJay

Re: Good Ingredients in San Diego?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 12:32:06 AM »
I moved from San Diego to Orange County a couple of years ago . . . but when I lived there I would buy 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes at the Mona Lisa restaurant on India Street in Little Italy (near downtown).  The restaurant has an Italian bakery/store attached to it.  You might try there.  If you ever get up to Orange County, there's an Italian market called Claro's that carries them as well.  Good luck

Offline Pentagarn

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 01:31:36 PM »
Thanks a lot!  I'll check it out.

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »
Just curious if anyone else has good pizza ingredients' resources in San Diego county area.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 02:15:36 PM »
Depends what your looking for - I now get my sauce from amazon. I have been using Jersey Fresh Tomatoes Fattoria Fresca from amazon and I like them very much.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9TCIL6/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I plan to try these next, they are highly regarded- Sclafani Crushed Tomatoes

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9TCIQG/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Before switching to the Jersey Fresh Tomatoes I was using 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes from Mona Lisa restaurant on India Street (as mentioned above). 6 in 1 is great but I like the Jersey Fresh Tomatoes better.

Cheese has been a challenge - I have not found anything I'm in love with (local) and I have look and tried for years. I did join the Kansas City Barbecue Society (KSBS) so I could get into restaurant depot (RD). I found some passable cheese but it only came in 5 Lb blocks. They also have good sauce but only in #10 cans (too big for me).

Flour, it depends on what you want to use, if your looking for Bromated Flour you will need to mail order, (and get your wallet out) if not, you have options. There is a nice guy that runs New York Bakers - you can arrange to pick up you flour at his shop and avoid shipping - lots of choices   http://nybakers.com

I usually mail order my pepperoni (Vermont Smoked Pepperoni) from Amazon but I have found some good sticks in Little Italy.

After that you have great choices for everything else you might likely put on your pie, just about anywhere in San Diego.

Hope that helps and if you find any good cheese -- by all means, please let me know.....

Offline Tonio

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:23:24 PM »
Norcoscia,
Could you share what you purchased from nybakers, and what you thought of the freshness ? I know its hard to know how fresh flour is, but he's in a warehouse setting if I remember right. Was it at least vacuum packed?

As far as mozz- Whole foods has Rusticone Pomella bufala for 6.99, Angelo & Franco for about 5.99, TJ's has Mandara bufala for 5.99.

For tomato I go to Mona Lisa's too, and get Rega, Cento, but have'nt tried the 6in1 yet. They actually carry Caputo chef's in 1kgs bags now. They also have bufala, but its 11.99 for like 5 or 6oz  :( I occasionally get the poly-o too. They have nice Pecorino, Regiano, sopraseta , proscuito all imported w/ decent prices. Also Tutto Calabria- but just the chile spread, Partanna OO- all the goodies.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:47:20 AM »
Hi Tonio,

Looks like you are building Neapolitan pies, I don't really do those. I like NY style so most of what I have done does not involve the same flour or the types of cheese you might use. I have tried using bufala and other fresh mozzarella cheese and it just does not make the type of pie I'm looking for. But thanks for the info, maybe some day I'll try that style.

I can't be sure how fresh the flour was, I did not really have any problems with it but I ended up buying a 50 pound bag of Bromated high gluten flour from amazon when it was on special one day so I have been using that for a while.

I have had some really nice Pecorino from Mona Lisa's and I agree they have great provisions.

Good luck with you pies and I'm glad to know another pizza lover lives in San Diego!!!

Offline Tonio

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:48:19 AM »
norcoscia, yup working on the NP w/ a blackstone oven. Did you ever get someone to pickup your BS?
I occasionally make NY style and sicilian style too. Having ingredients for 3 styles of pizza can be logistical nightmare at times ;)

50lbs?  that should last you a while :-D

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »
Yes 50 lbs is way too much - at the rate I'm using it I will likely be buried with the last 10 lbs  :-D

BS is gone, it went pretty quick! I'm a little sad, I had it set up pretty nice and it was covered so it was like new.

Once I get to my new location I'll get another but hoping they someday make a bigger version for 18" pies - I would pay so so much more for one that had a bigger stone....

PS. I used poly-o years and years ago and liked it but tried it a few months ago and found it to almost liquefy when cooked. Maybe I just got a bad batch - do you have the same issue with it?

Offline Tonio

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 08:57:31 PM »
Yes 50 lbs is way too much - at the rate I'm using it I will likely be buried with the last 10 lbs  :-D

:-D  Buried with the last 10lbs LOL too much!! ;D

yeah, Polly o is runny, but I tend to like it for NY(as a supplement to fresh Moz) and sicilian (topping after par baking)  for a "coverage base".

T

Offline Tim S.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »
North County has a few excellent farmers markets. Encinitas has a great one on Sundays. There's a meat guy there and a dude there with different types of wood. Mostly for smoking, but they come in bags and are big chunks. 

Online halfprice

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 03:46:29 PM »
I just ordered a case, 6 cans, of 6-1s directly from Escalon.  $1.50 shipping charge I thought was very inexpensive.

Haven't used them yet.  Just thought I would throw this out to you.

Jerry